Buffalo Bills 2014 Draft: Rd1#4 WR Sammy Watkins; Rd2#44 C. Kouandjio; Stevie traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Here is my reasoning for the Sammy Watkins pick. Pick 9 this year which we traded netted Anthony Barr (LB). Pick 19 this year (About where we should finished) netted Ja-Wawn James (OT). Would you rather have these two guys or Sammy Watkins. It's a pretty easy decision for me, I'd rather have Sammy 10 times out of 10. In fact the OT we got in the 2nd round I prefer over James.

The same can be said for NHL trades as well even though NHL draft picks don't have as much value. I would trade pick 9 and pick 19 everyday in the NHL to get into the top 5 draft picks which have really low bust rates.

Exactly. 1 elite player is far more valuable then 2 good ones. It's like what would you rather have a 90 point center or 2 60 point ones... Well it's not just 120 vs 90 it's 120 vs 90+ whatever the 2nd player gets also.

There were 4 elite players in the draft, 5 if you include Matthews (I do) and I don't think Evans is elite. I would rather have an elite WR then a good tight end like Ebron and whatever prospect would be available with our 1st which will be in the 11-18 range.

Also did anyone see the one draft video? We tried trading up to #1 to draft Watkins there! Imagine if we had to trade the 2015 1st, 4th AND 41 and probably more and just to get the guy we got anyway for far less. They said Watkins was #1 on the board and I believe them. He is the best WR we have had since Moulds and I predict he turns out to be far better.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Exactly. 1 elite player is far more valuable then 2 good ones. It's like what would you rather have a 90 point center or 2 60 point ones... Well it's not just 120 vs 90 it's 120 vs 90+ whatever the 2nd player gets also.

There were 4 elite players in the draft, 5 if you include Matthews (I do) and I don't think Evans is elite. I would rather have an elite WR then a good tight end like Ebron and whatever prospect would be available with our 1st which will be in the 11-18 range.

Also did anyone see the one draft video? We tried trading up to #1 to draft Watkins there! Imagine if we had to trade the 2015 1st, 4th AND 41 and probably more and just to get the guy we got anyway for far less. They said Watkins was #1 on the board and I believe them. He is the best WR we have had since Moulds and I predict he turns out to be far better.

They didn't say they wanted #1 for Watkins. And, of course they are going to say he was at the top of their board. I am glad they only had to pay Cleveland's price to get Sammy if that was true.

As for all the moves Whaley made, I am quite impressed. Obviously if the team is dreadful next year (certainly possible) we will possibly regret the price we paid for Sammy. However, giving up a 1st and 4th next year could turn out much better than if they had to give up a 2nd and 3rd this year (maybe more) in a deep draft.

If you believe Sammy was #1, you should also believe Kouandjio had a 1st round grade from them. If they trade the 2nd and 3rd this year to move up, we are likely still looking OT in the 1st next year if not QB because we didn't give EJ adequate protection.

I like Stevie and would have liked to see what he could do with Williams and Watkins. That being said, even before drafting a WR in the 1st people speculated if Johnson would still be on the team in 2015 because of his cap hit. At the end of next year Stevie likely becomes un-tradeable if not for a significantly lower pick. I think it was great asset management on Whaley's part to improve the position and get value for a player that isn't likely on your team a year from now.

With Bryce Brown, Whaley is protecting the team against injuries this season and from Spiller and Jackson not returning for the following season. I like the forward thinking Whaley has to not only try to win this season but for years to come will go under appreciated but be well served for the organization.

With the depth and competition Whaley is adding to this roster people might be able to say "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills" again. We need to "circle the wagons" if we want to return to being a playoff regular. That and a QB.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They didn't say they wanted #1 for Watkins. And, of course they are going to say he was at the top of their board. I am glad they only had to pay Cleveland's price to get Sammy if that was true.

As for all the moves Whaley made, I am quite impressed. Obviously if the team is dreadful next year (certainly possible) we will possibly regret the price we paid for Sammy. However, giving up a 1st and 4th next year could turn out much better than if they had to give up a 2nd and 3rd this year (maybe more) in a deep draft.

If you believe Sammy was #1, you should also believe Kouandjio had a 1st round grade from them. If they trade the 2nd and 3rd this year to move up, we are likely still looking OT in the 1st next year if not QB because we didn't give EJ adequate protection.

I like Stevie and would have liked to see what he could do with Williams and Watkins. That being said, even before drafting a WR in the 1st people speculated if Johnson would still be on the team in 2015 because of his cap hit. At the end of next year Stevie likely becomes un-tradeable if not for a significantly lower pick. I think it was great asset management on Whaley's part to improve the position and get value for a player that isn't likely on your team a year from now.

With Bryce Brown, Whaley is protecting the team against injuries this season and from Spiller and Jackson not returning for the following season. I like the forward thinking Whaley has to not only try to win this season but for years to come will go under appreciated but be well served for the organization.

With the depth and competition Whaley is adding to this roster people might be able to say "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills" again. We need to "circle the wagons" if we want to return to being a playoff regular. That and a QB.
I agree. I'm very excited with what management has done over the past couple years. I love the boldness; it's a refreshing change from past managements.

I am excited for this season. The team has some game breakers, and depth at a majority of the key positions. QB is still a huge question mark, but the foundation is certainly there to make the Bills competitive again.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I think it’s pretty incredible how quickly and effectively they turned over the WR position in just two years. We played 1-2 seasons with pretty much just Stevie and camp bodies. Flash forward two years, and the WRs are now Watkins, Woods, Williams, Goodwin. The potential is enormous, on paper. I also like how the new WR corps actually fulfills logical roles. Feature, possession, red-zone, burner. Among other reasons, this is why I think it made sense to trade Stevie. He’s quite admirable at what he does, but he doesn’t fit into any one role. On the other hand I think he will thrive as a JOAT WR in SF.

I agree with other posters that atm, I would rather have Watkins than for example, Ebron + 2015 #15 overall. On the other hand I don’t think that Cleveland is doing too shabby either with Gilbert + 2015 1st. I’d predict them to win that division in 2-3 years. Strong possibility that the trade ends up win/win.

I am also pleased that they are rolling three-deep at RB this year and hedging against FJ retirement and CJ contract issues.

I am not surprised at all that they ignored QB… Manuel will get at least 1-2 more years of good will from the FO before they reconsider their assessment if he does not develop as they expect. Lewis was actually quite decent in relief last year.

I said this as soon as they were drafted last year, but the D. Williams and Meeks picks were 100% about preparing for Byrd’s departure. Mid/late picks with an extra year of preparation are better bets and more efficient investments than whatever 2nd or 3rd round safety we would have had to draft this year if we hadn’t exercised such foresight.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
This entire thing rests on Manuel's knees. We really need to get a backup in here that can keep us competitive over a small streak of games.

I think the team is strong enough to win with competitive QB play. Manuel can give us that, at the least. Can Thad Lewis? Jeff Tuel? I don't think they can.

Manuel's knees scare me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10924108/tuesday-morning-quarterback-twilight-running-back

Buffalo Bills: Working on this book, yours truly was on the Virginia Tech sideline in 2011 as Sammy Watkins twice destroyed a stacked Hokies secondary that boasted Kyle Fuller, also taken in Thursday's first round; Jayron Hosley, a 2012 third-round pick; and Antone Exum, a sixth-round selection last weekend. Half a dozen times Watkins did things that made me say, "Wow." Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster shook his head and said, "Wow is an understatement."

Watkins was the special talent of the 2014 draft. He has as much upside as Jadeveon Clowney, but less downside. The last time the Bills made a king's-ransom trade, for Cornelius Bennett in 1987, the arrival of "Biscuit" changed a group of talented underachievers into contenders. Watkins might do the same for the current Bills.

To flip 2014 positions with the Browns, Buffalo surrendered only 2015 draft choices. The current front office knows the team will be sold soon, and if Buffalo fails to break its playoff drought, everyone who doesn't wear cleats will be fired. So there's no point in saving for the future. Either Buffalo makes the playoffs this season and all is well, or a new management team inherits a mess with future picks already spent.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This entire thing rests on Manuel's knees. We really need to get a backup in here that can keep us competitive over a small streak of games.

I think the team is strong enough to win with competitive QB play. Manuel can give us that, at the least. Can Thad Lewis? Jeff Tuel? I don't think they can.

Manuel's knees scare me.

There's a lot more to worry about with Manuel than just his knees. It's not like he was particularly good when healthy.

Thad Lewis is probably equal to, or slightly better than EJ right now. The difference being EJ has upside.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think a lot depends on EJ's deep ball. I watched him during training camp last year, and he was throwing some really nice and accurate deep balls, but when the season started he couldn't throw it deep to save his life. If he gets the deep ball down it opens up the field for him. If not defenses will figure him out quick.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
There's a lot more to worry about with Manuel than just his knees. It's not like he was particularly good when healthy.

IMO, the team is good enough to win with competent QB play. I've seen enough of Manuel to think he can deliver that, at a minimum. If his knees hold up.

I'm not saying he's a top-10 QB, or ever will be, but he can do well enough to win with a good team around him. I think we have one.

Thad Lewis is probably equal to, or slightly better than EJ right now. The difference being EJ has upside.

Flat out disagree. I;m not sure what metric you're using to come to that conclusion, but I can't find it.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
My random post-draft 53:

QB EJ Manuel
QB Thad Lewis
QB Jeff Tuel
RB CJ Spiller
RB Fred Jackson
RB Bryce Brown
RB Anthony Dixon
FB Frank Summers
WR Sammy Watkins (R)
WR Mike Williams
WR Robert Woods
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Chris Hogan
TE Scott Chandler
TE Tony Moeaki
TE Lee Smith
TE Chris Gragg
OT Cordy Glenn
OT Cyrus Kouandjio (R)
OT Chris Hairston
OT Antoine McClain
OG Kraig Urbik
OG Chris Williams
OG Cyril Richardson (R)
OG JJ Unga
C Eric Wood
DE Mario Williams
DE Jerry Hughes
DE Manny Lawson
DE Corbin Bryant
DT Kyle Williams
DT Marcell Dareus
DT Alan Branch
DT Stefan Charles
LB Kiko Alonso
LB Brandon Spikes
LB Keith Rivers
LB Nigel Bradham
LB Preston Brown (R)
LB Ty Powell
LB Randell Johnson (R)
CB Stephon Gilmore
CB Leodis McKelvin
CB Corey Graham
CB Nickell Robey
CB Ross Cockrell (R)
S Aaron Williams
S Jonathan Meeks
S Da'Norris Searcy
S Duke Williams
K Dan Carpenter
P Brian Moorman
LS Garrison Sanborn

(cuts: Pears, Legursky, Graham, Easley, Brooks, Henderson, etc.)

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Not a bad 53-man roster, but I think Easley and his ST play find a way onto the team somehow.

That was my one thought. I don't know if he replaces Hogan or if they keep 6 WR and cut somewhere else, but given the added emphasis they put on acquiring ST players this offseason (Dixon, Graham), I think they would keep Easley around.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Easley is a lock IMO. If it came down to it he stays over Hogan, but my guess is he stays over Frank Summers and they keep Hogan.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Easley is a lock IMO. If it came down to it he stays over Hogan, but my guess is he stays over Frank Summers and they keep Hogan.

They should keep Summers. He played his role well last year and the offense seemed to function better when he was playing.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure if Easley is a lock. He has your typical lock feel as a special teams ace, but they brought in Dixon and Graham as well. Now, Marrone said they need to build a core group of STers so there's still plenty of room for Easley, but they could axe him and still likely have plenty of good ST coverage options. I hope they keep him, though. After so many years of rooting for him to make it as a receiver, he surprised us all by being an elite gunner when given the opportunity.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They should keep Summers. He played his role well last year and the offense seemed to function better when he was playing.

The problem is they have 3 locks at running back, and then Dixon is a strong bet to make the team. Since Dixon can probably do some lead blocking from time to time, it becomes harder to justify keeping Summers, though I'm a big fan of Summers and true fullbacks in general.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
9 OL seems like a lot, I feel like teams typically only carry 8 (one backup G, one T, one guy that can plug anywhere if needed). I think Whaley even only carried 7 (and it bit him in the ass one year). I could also see them only carrying 2 QBs. And 4 TEs also seems not so necessary, Smith or Gragg, not both.

I'd add a 6th receiver for sure (Easley), have brooks make the team at corner (after last year I bet they carry extra depth there)

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
The problem is they have 3 locks at running back, and then Dixon is a strong bet to make the team. Since Dixon can probably do some lead blocking from time to time, it becomes harder to justify keeping Summers, though I'm a big fan of Summers and true fullbacks in general.

That's my thinking as well. No way to they keep 5 runners, and as you say 3 of them are locks.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think they can keep Summers, but then they cannot keep 4 TEs. Moeaki could be a cut in camp depending on how he performs. Personally, I'd send Gragg to the practice squad.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
9 OL seems like a lot, I feel like teams typically only carry 8 (one backup G, one T, one guy that can plug anywhere if needed). I think Whaley even only carried 7 (and it bit him in the ass one year). I could also see them only carrying 2 QBs. And 4 TEs also seems not so necessary, Smith or Gragg, not both.

I'd add a 6th receiver for sure (Easley), have brooks make the team at corner (after last year I bet they carry extra depth there)

If that's the case re: TE then I think you cut Gragg. Lee is by far the best blocker of the group. I would have no problem cutting Gragg for Easley. I think you could also stash Tuel on the PS to keep Brooks. I'd like to see Summers on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad