Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel, c.'23 3rd for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, c.'22 1st (Top10 protected), c.'23 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Agreed, I don't think people are also considering Tuch is signed to a great contract at 4.75M for another 5 years. He's paced 21 goals on Vegas his last 4 seasons, and at 25, still may have some upside as the Sabres #1 winger now. A 6'4 220 lbs winger that can skate like he can at 4.75M is value. Also he is from Syracuse NY, he grew up a Sabres fan. Some things to like from Buffalo's stand point.

Yup and they have guys like Quinn, Levi, Power, Rosen, Levi coming. I think they could do with another top 5 pick type drafts (along with the other picks they have acquired) to shore up some offensive holes but ya I like the group being assembled.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I still think this is a fairly poor return for a healthy Eichel, but I think this says more about how bad most GM's are than anything about the Sabres or Vegas. Eichel, of course isn't healthy, but he will very likely come back to full health and be a top C in the league and Vegas gave up a low price to get that. Most people have been equating a surgery with unkown risk to surgery with high risk. This is NOT a risky surgery. The problem is that the risk is not known. Those are very different things.

Granted, these are two different things. However, because the risk of surgery isn't known, you can't claim that it's not a risky surgery, just like one should not claim that it is a risky surgery. Unknown is unknown.

I would not piss on any GM's. They have people helping them who know about medicals and the risk management more than you or I ever will. The reason Sabres did not get better return for Eichel is most likely the same reason why the Sabres would not let Eichel have the surgery he wants to begin with.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I dont have issue with it. Even with Kucherov, his surgery was legit. We are only talking about a time measured in weeks that he might have been able to play but stayed on IR for cap reasons. At that point, what is a team supposed to do? Not use LTIR space? The trade deadline passed. There arent options.

Also of course you dont have the player. Vegas may be challenged to make the playoffs. I wouldnt bet against them though.
I do wonder whether the VGK are already writing the 21-22 season down because the injury bug has struck so hard, and are looking forward to 22-23 in which case they'll have all summer to deal with the Eichel cap hit. On the other hand, if they can get Pach and Stone healthy, they do have a chance it being the Pacific division.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
You think 65-75 points for a 10 mil aav is fine?

I'd say it would be a bad trade for Vegas if Eichel is less than a 90-ish point player each year.

Interesting part for Vegas is going to be health. They just traded for an Eichel, who needs surgery, while the team is riddled with injuries. If Vegas can get back to near full health then they have a steal in this trade but that is the gamble here.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I believe they did get full value?? Or very close. What else were we going to get?? Krebs was apparently untouchable yesterday.....

Just delete your account. All that leverage and that’s all you got. :laugh:

59008ED4-6F54-4F1B-A24C-91CCD3B6FCF4.jpeg

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I'd say it would be a bad trade for Vegas if Eichel is less than a 90-ish point player each year.

I said on average..

I dont expect him to be a 90 point player right after surgery and rehab next season. Will probably take a while for him to get back to where he was.

Rumor has it that the neck injury is soo bad he cant exercise or do anything that involves running or jumping.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
No but I've been following Krebs; he has looked lost on NHL ice; still young but far from a "blue-chipper".
Semantics. He's a really good center prospect that has high potential. I think we all can agree on that. That was the most important piece to get in this deal.

Im happy it's all over with. Buffalo now needs to do what they failed miserably at in the past- develop these promising young prospects.

This trade isn't going to be what makes or breaks it for the Sabres. It's way more indepth than that. I think they may have a coach who can get the best out of these kids, so that's a start, and the foundation of young talent is there, too, but can Adams put it all together?

Color this pessimistic Sabres fan optimistic for the first time in years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I exhaustively looked for a single instance of any fan asking the return should be Zegras + Drysdale. There were plenty of people saying the return SHOULDN'T be those two (and frankly that should be obvious to one and all). There was a fair amount of Zegras OR Drysdale.

Why you so worried about what other Sabres fans said or didn't say?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
IMHO, Krebs was never more than "trade bait" for the VGK. As a young franchise, the concept of developing young players to plug holes has an internal value of about 0.01% against the idea that they can be traded off for more established players for immediately success. How well this works in the long term we'll see, but that's what you get with a "win at all costs" owner who only now is starting to face his first adversity in injuries.
I know it’s only year 5 but Vegas hasn’t developed a single forward that’s been halfway decent. Eventually they’re going to have to learn how to nurture their picks into players.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Definitely. When he's 100%, he's well worth that contract. If he doesn't end up returning to form, it could become bad. I think there's a good chance he returns to form, but that surgery does still scare me for him longterm.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I said on average..

I dont expect him to be a 90 point player right after surgery and rehab next season. Will probably take a while for him to get back to where he was.

Rumor has it that the neck injury is soo bad he cant exercise or do anything that involves running or jumping.
He was skating a few weeks ago in Boston.

Reactions: Fearnot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who needs a reason to dislike fake news?

Not sure you can prove it's fake though. I wouldn't waste my time on it to be honest. Defend yourself and let others worry about what they said. You said you exhausted yourself trying to find it but it's been like what... 30 min's? Are you saying you read every thread that fast? Come on man! :laugh:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

For the cap hit you’re right, but they didn’t pay the assets to trade for a 90 pt 1C. I think that’s what the poster was saying. 65-75 is still probability a bit low, maybe ppg is about right.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do wonder whether the VGK are already writing the 21-22 season down because the injury bug has struck so hard, and are looking forward to 22-23 in which case they'll have all summer to deal with the Eichel cap hit. On the other hand, if they can get Pach and Stone healthy, they do have a chance it being the Pacific division.
I have no faith in those Cali teams to stay that high. All Vegas has to do is hang around and not get in Arizona/Chicago territory of bad and there should be plenty of runway left for a strong 2nd half of the season.

But yes, the worst case scenario is to just cross this year off and gear up for next year. Its not even bad

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
.com
Kevyn Adams acknowledged at the start of camp that Eichel needs surgery but said that the sides still disagreed on what the procedure should be. He said Eichel declined a fusion and the Sabres do not want him to have the disk replacement."At this point, Jack is not willing to move forward with what our doctors are suggesting is the fusion surgery," Adams said. "So we're going to continue to work toward solutions. ... What I can tell you is we have absolute trust in our doctors. They are the medical experts. They've been consistent since Day One.

consistent in insisting on conservative treatment and when that didn't pan out, on an outdated but "safe" (for the team) type of surgery

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I'm surprised by all the people underrating Peyton Krebs in this thread. I'd love to have him in the Ducks prospect pool. He was a steal at 17th OA when he was drafted and is going to be a fan favorite once he breaks into the NHL for his all-around skills and motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad