Confirmed Buy-Out [BUF] Sabres buy out F Jeff Skinner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Cap Friendly was bought by the owner of the Capitals, the site is going dark in a week or so.
What about the NBA portion of Capfriendly called Salary Swish that they opened not so long ago that's the same as CF except its for NBA players and teams? Is that going to be gone too or is it staying for now?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What are they actually using the cap space on?

I don’t understand.
It's more about opening a roster spot. Skinner is putrid defensively, and looks to be slowing down quite a bit, which is his bread and butter. He also confirmed he wasn't injured to end the year, and he looked BAD th last 1/3 of the year.

Let another team give him a short-term deal. Maybe he rides passenger with a really good C, and put up goals. Or perhaps a secondary scoring line option. It seems unlikely to me that his usefulness will outweigh his deficiencies, but stranger things have happened.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's more about opening a roster spot. Skinner is putrid defensively, and looks to be slowing down quite a bit, which is his bread and butter. He also confirmed he wasn't injured to end the year, and he looked BAD th last 1/3 of the year.

Let another team give him a short-term deal. Maybe he rides passenger with a really good C, and put up goals. Or perhaps a secondary scoring line option. It seems unlikely to me that his usefulness will outweigh his deficiencies, but stranger things have happened.

If hes put on a line that has a 3 way center and a better at D wing partner , that can be minimized. He can put up 25+ goals and 50+ pts at under $3M cap

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What about the NBA portion of Capfriendly called Salary Swish that they opened not so long ago that's the same as CF except its for NBA players and teams? Is that going to be gone too or is it staying for now?

Thats gone too. Leonsis (Caps owner) also owns the Wizards NBA team, so he bought everything lock, stock and barrel.

Reactions: algernon

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
In summary ...
  • An offense-only scoring winger unlikely to fit Ruff's defense-first style
  • At 32, his goal totals will probably be in permanent decline from the 24 he scored last season
  • His presence occupies a top-6 spot needed for Peterka, Quinn, Benson, with Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund awaiting their chance
  • His refusal to play defensively once the puck leaves the offensive zone is an extremely poor example for a veteran to set for all those young forwards listed above
He's a net negative to the Sabres at this point in his career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In summary ...
  • At 32, his goal totals will probably be in permanent decline from the 24 he scored last season
  • His presence occupies a top-6 spot needed for Peterka, Quinn, Benson, with Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund awaiting their chance
  • His refusal to play defensively once the puck leaves the offensive zone is an extremely poor example for a veteran to set for all those young forwards listed above

Agreed on most points but one -
We don't know what Ruff's style is going to be.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In summary ...
Agreed on the above.

Is the complaint from the Sabres board because like all Buyouts, they need to incur dead cap in years 4-6 when they expect to be a much better club and would rather have taken all of the dead cap charges over what would have been the duration of his 3 years left?

I did wonder if the NHL would ever allow a team the option of how they wish to take the buyout cap charge, like they do in the NFL, where they have the option of designating when a player is cut (June 1 before/after), which then determines whether the club takes the dead cap chares over 1 or 2 years (most opt to do 2 years).

Thus, for teams like Buf/Phi/CBS, etc. who are not competing I think if given the option they'd eat the Skinner/Atkinson/Boqvist buyout charges over their remaining term of the contract. Whereas teams like Edm, can't afford to do that with Jack Campbell given their competitive window.

Skinner's buyout is $1.44, $4.44, $6.44 over the next 3 seasons then $2.44 for the following 3.
So, would it be better to have had the option to just eat $3.9, $6.9, and then $8.9 mill over 3 seasons instead?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You really think ol' Lindy Ruff, he of a 31 year long coaching career, is going to come in with a new style this year?

Look at how the Devils played under him and tell me that was defensive hockey.

He was a dead puck guy early on, but he at least has tried to adapt to his personnel over his various times at HC in different places.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's the disconnect I guess. I've never thought of Ruff as a good defensive coach or one who focuses on it. It seems a little run and gun to me especially his Devils time

He at least tries to adapt to his personnel. He was dead puck defensive, adapted to smaller/offensive guys, tried to be more balanced, then went to the Devils and it was much more about offense and transition. There are Sabre fans who think it's still 1998.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
He at least tries to adapt to his personnel. He was dead puck defensive, adapted to smaller/offensive guys, tried to be more balanced, then went to the Devils and it was much more about offense and transition. There are Sabre fans who think it's still 1998.
What’s hilarious is folks thinking Lindey can only coach one type of team… He literally coached two different types of teams on Buffalo alone! In the Hasek era it was a low scoring low i event team with a Premier goalie… And then look at the drury and briers years when it was more high flying offense… Different strategies on the same damn team!

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Potential consolation prize for whoever misses out on Guentzel.
Canucks should be all over this. If they miss on Guentzel, having Skinner on a value contract could really help them bring in additional help elsewhere.
They also have a lot of dead cap with OEL so they probably want to feel better about that by getting someone else's buyout boy :)

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Agreed on the above.

Is the complaint from the Sabres board because like all Buyouts, they need to incur dead cap in years 4-6 when they expect to be a much better club and would rather have taken all of the dead cap charges over what would have been the duration of his 3 years left?

I did wonder if the NHL would ever allow a team the option of how they wish to take the buyout cap charge, like they do in the NFL, where they have the option of designating when a player is cut (June 1 before/after), which then determines whether the club takes the dead cap chares over 1 or 2 years (most opt to do 2 years).

Thus, for teams like Buf/Phi/CBS, etc. who are not competing I think if given the option they'd eat the Skinner/Atkinson/Boqvist buyout charges over their remaining term of the contract. Whereas teams like Edm, can't afford to do that with Jack Campbell given their competitive window.

Skinner's buyout is $1.44, $4.44, $6.44 over the next 3 seasons then $2.44 for the following 3.
So, would it be better to have had the option to just eat $3.9, $6.9, and then $8.9 mill over 3 seasons instead?

agree for Buffalo taking this over three would be better. Hell they could take it all in one ha ha!

But I think the reality is that Buffalo is open to this because when $2.4 million hit over the last three years comes… The caps going to be over 100 million likely will be a negligible impact.

The curse of Buffalo will also be at saving Grace ( aka too many prospects)… They have spades talented ELC players that can take spots on those teams and thus the cap hit will not materially effect us.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
agree for Buffalo taking this over three would be better. Hell they could take it all in one ha ha!

But I think the reality is that Buffalo is open to this because when $2.4 million hit over the last three years comes… The caps going to be over 100 million likely will be a negligible impact.

The curse of Buffalo will also be at saving Grace ( aka too many prospects)… They have spades talented ELC players that can take spots on those teams and thus the cap hit will not materially effect us.
I think it would be better to give clubs the option of how they wish to handle a buyout.

Too many prospects is also a reason why Utah made their 2 Dman trades. Only 50 contract slots thus in 2-3 years, they can't keep all of them, plus trying like Montreal they are trying integrate a bunch of young Dman is tough. Savard and Matheson are their 2 vets, with X as a young guy with some experience, but all of Harris, guhle, Barron, Hutson, Reinbacher, Struble are going to be pushing for spots next season.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Cap Friendly was bought by the owner of the Capitals, the site is going dark in a week or so.

I honestly don't get this move, all that will happen is some other website will pop up and take it's place, so if you trying to hide the information it's futile

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He’d be a player if he could at least find the defensive zone. An entire career without playoffs is certainly something.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Anybody who thinks this is a bad move doesn’t watch Buffalo (understandably). Skinner is a role model for our young guys whether he wants to be or not. And his play is not something you want them to learn from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad