Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen re-signs with the Sabres (5 years, $4.75M AAV)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I hope he plays up to this deal, and I'm sure he's a great guy but man alive, would I love it if GMs stopped giving out long-term, high-dollar contracts to the middle-of-the-road goalies. It messes the entire market up and the position it soooo volatile lately that it can go soooo wrong.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eye tests still matter, yes goalies are volatile, but UPL's game has improved every season. Locking in his prime years is the smart move, not some weak ass 2-3yr deal. Add in Levi's cheap bridge, Sabres shouldn't have to worry abut the net for a good minute.

I'm not concerned. If there is anything to him that I was bothered by, it was over-use toward the end of the season. He seemed fatigued and then mental mistakes crept in. If they have competent backup tending - which we hope is what Reimer can provide - he should be fine.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Adams discovered that even his hopes and wishes can't circumvent goaltender development timelines.
So does he backup next year or carry the load on the farm most likely ? You’d think the latter would be better for development if UPL is going to be deployed as a workhorse

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of him but even in a couple years if he's just an average goalie, 4.75 per year isn't bad for a backup or 1a/1b type thing with the cap rising now

Seems like a GREAT deal for UPL and a decent deal for Sabres regardless what happens with him down the road. I don't see him ever becoming a higher level goalie in the league but he should do decent forsure

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This is a very nice deal for the Sabres. I get that the body of work isn't enormous, but he's really good. He'll easily earn this kind of money, with the potential for being much better than this sort of tier. That's before factoring the coming salary inflation.

I get prioritizing security, but he's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table in his prime years.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
If he plays 2 great years, then the value is still there even if he falls off, and backs up Levi for the last 3. The only risk would be he immediately flops. Under $5M is no big deal, and buried it's only like $3M hit. Very low risk with high reward regardless of what posters are saying.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wasn't Sabers GM Kevin Adams the Assistant GM for the Pens when Jarry got that 5 year deal? Jarry contract was a mistake and so is this one. For people saying this contract can be traded a couple years down the road if it doesn't work out, the answer to that is no! UPL looks like he's an up and coming goalie, but to give him a 5 year contract to be the #1 goalie based off of 1 good season is just dumb. Levi is the Sabers long term #1 goalie plan and UPL shouldn't have received no more than a 3 year deal.

Not horrible but maybe a bit of an overpayment for him right now.
Definite over payment and 2 years too long on the contract.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wasn't Sabers GM Kevin Adams the Assistant GM for the Pens when Jarry got that 5 year deal? Jarry contract was a mistake and so is this one. For people saying this contract can be traded a couple years down the road if it doesn't work out, the answer to that is no! UPL looks like he's an up and coming goalie, but to give him a 5 year contract to be the #1 goalie based off of 1 good season is just dumb. Levi is the Sabers long term #1 goalie plan and UPL shouldn't have received no more than a 3 year deal.

Definite over payment and 2 years too long on the contract.
I'd say you shoulda stopped when you were ahead, but I didn't even see that.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I know most people didn't pay any attention to the Sabres last year (can't blame you) and missed how good this guy has gotten but this really is a good deal. A year ago I was fine with risking him on waivers to get him in the AHL but the step he took was real. He used to flop around a lot, you never knew what you were getting from him on any given night, that all changed. Now he's just a wall, every game you know he's gonna give you a good chance to win (went like 4 months without giving up more than 3 goals in a game). It's high praise but he really reminds me of Hellebuyck.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Sabres get bagged for letting their good players go and get bagged for signing their good young players. ok lol
Yah the Sabres should definitely be praised for signing a goalie that has played 100 games for them in 4 seasons to a 5 year 4.75 million per year deal.
It's still a mystery why the Sabres have missed the playoffs 13 straight seasons when they make all the right moves.

What did the Wings give Husso after a single good year in St Louis?
A bad deal

Reactions: Riggins

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I hope he plays up to this deal, and I'm sure he's a great guy but man alive, would I love it if GMs stopped giving out long-term, high-dollar contracts to the middle-of-the-road goalies. It messes the entire market up and the position it soooo volatile lately that it can go soooo wrong.

Only like 10 goalies these days at any given time are starting 50-60 games. You gotta pay someone to win the other 30 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad