Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
"According to Lysowski, the Sabres decided to trade Matthew Savoie because of his history of injuries, particularly shoulder injuries."

Maybe Edmonton can pull a Vegas and LTIR him

I assume all Edmonton would have to do is ask a doctor and then bask in the cap savings.

They could be right though. I certainly hope and expect Edmonton would have talked to a doctor -- also McJesus seems to be doing ok with his shoulder recovery.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This guy breaks down McLeods performance in the playoffs as just a perimeter player and how he shies away from any contact Watch from 5 min mark

I watched. I saw some misreads and indecision and if you and others weren’t on a mission to make this guy into a scaredy cat I wouldn’t have thought for a second he was shies away from contact.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Edmonton and Buffalo are in very different stages.

Edmonton is looking to become a cup contender where as Buffalo is just looking to find player to insulate some of the rookies from joining the NHL too soon
This I agree with.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think the big disconnect between Oilers fans and Sabres fans here come from McLeods play in the playoffs.

Oilers are coming off a very long playoff run where every shift is magnified. Everything he did was under a microscope. He didn’t perform great.

Sabres fans don’t care. We haven’t seen the playoffs in 13 years. Quite a few posters legitimately have never coherently watched a Sabres playoff game.

His analytics for the regular season are pretty good. He will probably help the Sabres. It’s a big overpay. It’s even worse considering if we do make the playoffs - he probably won’t help that much.
The other issue is this weird insistence by some that Oilers fans don’t know who McLeod is after watching him for years.

Reactions: MessierII

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The whole wild part to me in this deal is how Buffalo didn't think of shopping Savoie to get a better player than McLeod. I think there are legitimate questions about Savoie due to his size and shoulder injuries, and I absolutely don't think McLeod is a bad player. But is that really the best you could get for Savoie? Or were you just locked into getting McLeod and were willing to pay whatever it took to get him?

Just bizarre management from the Sabres. Even if Savoie ends up washing out entirely, I really struggle to believe that Ryan McLeod is the best return you could have gotten for him at this point.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The whole wild part to me in this deal is how Buffalo didn't think of shopping Savoie to get a better player than McLeod. I think there are legitimate questions about Savoie due to his size and shoulder injuries, and I absolutely don't think McLeod is a bad player. But is that really the best you could get for Savoie? Or were you just locked into getting McLeod and were willing to pay whatever it took to get him?

Just bizarre management from the Sabres. Even if Savoie ends up washing out entirely, I really struggle to believe that Ryan McLeod is the best return you could have gotten for him at this point.
What's your basis for that statement?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The whole wild part to me in this deal is how Buffalo didn't think of shopping Savoie to get a better player than

The Buffalo News beat guy said they have had him out there in offers without result.
I think there are legitimate questions about Savoie due to his size and shoulder injuries, and I absolutely don't think McLeod is a bad player. But is that really the best you could get for Savoie? Or were you just locked into getting McLeod and were willing to pay whatever it took to get him?

Again, Lance said they had been offering him around. It might be that teams also have questions about his durability.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
???

This is a move that will allow EDM to have a strong offensive cost controlled player ready for the roster when Draisaitl and McDavid sign their extensions.

Quote from Draisaitls agent today to German pressView attachment 892663
McLeod isnt that expensive. Not that dollars saved capwise with that trade.
Like 1 million in netto favour.
With draisaitls upcoming deal, me guesses Kanes days here are numbered. Maybe even a buyout? But he likes warm wheather, so it shouldnt be a problem. But damn, he fall fast..

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
The Buffalo News beat guy said they have had him out there in offers without result.

Again, Lance said they had been offering him around. It might be that teams also have questions about his durability.
I'd be curious to see what "without results" looks like, in terms of what they were originally asking for him.

I mean, they did get the Oilers to add to McLeod.. granted it was a very small add.

Just trying to think of other Centers out there that a team would be willing to move, that would make sense for Buffalo.

I'm assuming it had to be a Center, has NHL experience, cost controlled.. and of course on a team that is in a similar situation as Edmonton when it comes to looking to shed money.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I assume all Edmonton would have to do is ask a doctor and then bask in the cap savings.

They could be right though. I certainly hope and expect Edmonton would have talked to a doctor -- also McJesus seems to be doing ok with his shoulder recovery.
Not to mention the two shoulder injuries Nuge had early as a young player, that has never been an issue again moving forward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd be curious to see what "without results" looks like, in terms of what they were originally asking for him.

I mean, they did get the Oilers to add to McLeod.. granted it was a very small add.

Just trying to think of other Centers out there that a team would be willing to move, that would make sense for Buffalo.

I'm assuming it had to be a Center, has NHL experience, cost controlled.. and of course on a team that is in a similar situation as Edmonton when it comes to looking to shed money.

Same, would like to hear more about who they were trying to target.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity

I need to you to sell my house.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
McLeod might be a good fit on the wing with Tage Thompson.

McLeod is more play maker than scorer and he's great at transporting the puck up ice.

Reactions: Czechboy

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Buffalo was shopping Savoie. Multiple insiders have said the Sabres were offering him in trades for NHL players. This is what they got for him. So yeah, apparently it’s the best player anyone was willing to give up for him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad