Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Forsberg was just a prospect when acquired, and Erat was a far better player than McLeod.

It is conceivable that Savoie is a better player than McLeod by next season.

Is McLeod bad? No. Decent 3rd line winger who can kill penalties, but has consistency issues, and not overly physical.
Forsberg prospect value at the time and Savoie prospect value at the time are no where near being the same.

Forsberg put up 63 points his D+3.

Savoie is about to start his D+3 season.

I would bet so much money that he will not even sniff 63 points in the NHL this year, and that he likely doesnt even make the NHL for that matter.

sure, too early to call this a "fleecing" but I think it's a big overpay for Buffalo

McLeod is an average 3rd liner with elite speed but zero grit to his game...and I mean ZERO
maybe the trade wakes him up and he turns into a Cogliano-type player but these guys aren't hard to acquire

arguing semantics here, but Savoie is definitely a blue-chip prospect...over 2PPG in the Dub and almost a PPG in the AHL...his drawbacks are size and injury concerns
the number don't lie
Is Cristall a blue chip prospect because he put up better numbers in the dub than savoie at the same age?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think there’s a degree of extra scrutiny with the Sabres at this point. I’ve been very pessimistic about their moves, but I was a lot more positive on this one, surprised to see so many dogging it.

We traded from a position of strength for a need. If McLeod sucks we have a problem, but the basic idea is sound.

People hate giving up Savoie, but that’s business, prospects get moved for sure things. I’m sure they tried for greater value, this was the market price and it seemingly wasn’t changing significantly, gotta get shit done.

I’ll be interested in how it plays out. f***ing hate the Zucker signing, that’s a weird one, but I got no beef with this deal. The whole 4th+3rd line adds feel alright to me, now just would still like a RD.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Forsberg prospect value at the time and Savoie prospect value at the time are no where near being the same.

Forsberg put up 63 points his D+3.

Savoie is about to start his D+3 season.

I would bet so much money that he will not even sniff 63 points in the NHL this year, and that he likely doesnt even make the NHL for that matter.

Is Cristall a blue chip prospect because he put up better numbers in the dub than savoie at the same age?
Your comparing D3 season and a player that hasn't had a D3. And the trade is completely comparable along with value of both.

Forsberg was considered a highly toughed prospect like Savoie. He developed into what he is now. You are using your present knowledge of Forsberg to equate, but at the time he wasn't a sure fire 1st liner.

So completely comparable with the exception that Erat was a better player.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just because a 2nd rounder made the NHL means their worth a first round pick at least??? That's freaking delusional.
No... what I mean is that 2nd rounders are coin flips and most don't even become as good as Ryan McLeod. So, of course McLeod is worth more than a 2nd rounder. He's one that hit.

That's not how it works. He's an Arb-Eligible RFA after this upcoming season and is close to UFA. How players fit in from a cap standpoint, how easy they are to replace via "UFA off the street" signings as well as from promoting internally all factors in. Plenty of "non-busts" return lower than their draft capital once they're in the thick of it with their careers.
He's not that close to UFA and the fact is that he has RFA control. The arbitration point is very odd. Sure it could happen but it probably won't. Most RFAs get re signed before that happens, and it's not like an arbitrator would make him overpaid. It's like you're saying RFA status is bad because he might get an offersheet. The only reason he is approaching this later stage of his RFA status is because he's graduated to the NHL and has been playing really well for a few years now.

And that's a bad thing???

Reactions: Beauty

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Your comparing D3 season and a player that hasn't had a D3. And the trade is completely comparable along with value of both.

Forsberg was considered a highly toughed prospect like Savoie. He developed into what he is now. You are using your present knowledge of Forsberg to equate, but at the time he wasn't a sure fire 1st liner.

So completely comparable with the exception that Erat was a better player.
Savoie is not a highly touted prospect lmao. If he was drafted 30th overall instead you wouldnt be saying this. Youre stuck on the fact that he was drafted 9th overall and nothing else. He hasnt shown anything since to think yeah, I'd take him there still today.

And Forsberg was traded during his D+1. Again, he had way more value then than Savoie at the time.

Make sure to @ me when Savoie hits 63 points in an NHL regular season. I think ill be waiting a long time for that @ personally.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Savoie is not a highly touted prospect lmao. If he was drafted 30th overall instead you wouldnt be saying this. Youre stuck on the fact that he was drafted 9th overall and nothing else. He hasnt shown anything since to think yeah, I'd take him there still today.

And Forsberg was traded during his D+1. Again, he had way more value then than Savoie at the time.

Make sure to @ me when Savoie hits 63 points in an NHL regular season. I think ill be waiting a long time for that @ personally.

Ok - news to me considering every single person in hockey is calling him a highly touted prospect.

Late add... lmao... Mckeen has him as 10th best prospect in Hockey (June 1, 2024). Even if that's high, he is a top prospect.

Athletic likes him too!

But I guess HF poster Peasy knows better...

My guess is you'll delete your posts or conviently forget...

And if Edmonton ends up flipping him for a top 4 D?

Really doesn't matter if Edmonton converts him to another valuable asset or he develops into a 2nd liner with them.

Buffalo did what Buffalo does and wasted an asset.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ok - news to me considering every single person in hockey is calling him a highly touted prospect.

But I guess HF poster Peasy knows better...

My guess is you'll delete your posts or conviently forget...

And if Edmonton ends up flipping him for a top 4 D?

Really doesn't matter if Edmonton converts him to another valuable asset or he develops into a 2nd liner with them.

Buffalo did what Buffalo does and wasted an asset.
They call him a highly touted prospects because its something easy to say and hype up the trade because he was a former 9th overall pick.

I'm not a coward and will not go back on my opinion lmao. If im wrong im wrong, cant be right all the time.

Half the people saying hes highly touted probably have never seen the guy and also probably thought Shane Wright would go first in his draft year. Show me actual hockey prospect guys pumpin up Savoie. Your average NHL insider or reporter knows f*** all about them.

Players taken after Savoie that I think are currently better prospects and will have better nhl careers than him:
Mintyukov, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Bichsel, Snuggerud, Yurov, Kulich, Casey, Hutson. Theres many more that I think are currently to close to call atm.

Feel free to bookmark this post and talk shit if I'm completely wrong in the next 5 years.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I think standards in BUF are different than standards in EDM when it comes to touting of prospects.
Up until last week many in Edmonton were happy to have a prospect like Tullio as a top 5 prospect in the organization.

Our prospects either make NHL right away (being top 5 picks) or never pan out.

Savoie is a better prospect than Hollloway and was arguable one of the best scorers not in NHL last year. Let us be happy for a bit.

He just needs to be a PPG player in the AHL next year.. we will go from there afterwards

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
sure, too early to call this a "fleecing" but I think it's a big overpay for Buffalo

McLeod is an average 3rd liner with elite speed but zero grit to his game...and I mean ZERO
maybe the trade wakes him up and he turns into a Cogliano-type player but these guys aren't hard to acquire

arguing semantics here, but Savoie is definitely a blue-chip prospect...over 2PPG in the Dub and almost a PPG in the AHL...his drawbacks are size and injury concerns
the number don't lie
He is, and you'd think Edmonton fans would simply be happy with that fact, rather than jumping over each other to tell us how much McLeod sucks and how stupid we are.

Btw, if the numbers don't lie, then the advanced stats on McLeod look excellent.

Reactions: Orca Smash

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They call him a highly touted prospects because its something easy to say and hype up the trade because he was a former 9th overall pick.

I'm not a coward and will not go back on my opinion lmao. If im wrong im wrong, cant be right all the time.

Half the people saying hes highly touted probably have never seen the guy and also probably thought Shane Wright would go first in his draft year. Show me actual hockey prospect guys pumpin up Savoie. Your average NHL insider or reporter knows f*** all about them.

Players taken after Savoie that I think are currently better prospects and will have better nhl careers than him:
Mintyukov, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Bichsel, Snuggerud, Yurov, Kulich, Casey, Hutson. Theres many more that I think are currently to close to call atm.

Feel free to bookmark this post and talk shit if I'm completely wrong in the next 5 years.
Ostlund is probably better too, from that draft

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No... what I mean is that 2nd rounders are coin flips and most don't even become as good as Ryan McLeod. So, of course McLeod is worth more than a 2nd rounder. He's one that hit.

He's not that close to UFA and the fact is that he has RFA control. The arbitration point is very odd. Sure it could happen but it probably won't. Most RFAs get re signed before that happens, and it's not like an arbitrator would make him overpaid. It's like you're saying RFA status is bad because he might get an offersheet. The only reason he is approaching this later stage of his RFA status is because he's graduated to the NHL and has been playing really well for a few years now.

I'm saying you need to think holistically, which you failed to do by saying "2nd round pick that succeeded therefore holds 1st round value", which is laughable.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

That’s not how that works at all.

Gustav Lidstrom was a 2nd round pivk who “hit” and was just given away for free from the Wings and then claimed on Waivers by Anaheim after the Habs gave him for free.

Why wasn’t he getting a 1st or 2nd?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I personally wouldn't even trade a 2nd round pick for a player like McLeod based on what he has done thus far. I would look for someone else. He has been too low of an impact player most games to give up any decent asset for. His offensive stats are inflated by Draisaitl. He failed as a third line center which is why the Oilers needed to acquire one. He got outplayed by Janmark and Brown. He wouldn't play above 4th line on any team with any depth. I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder for a 4th liner personally. 1st rounder for McLeod seems like far too much for what he currently is. Maybe McLeod will gain some consistency at some point but he doesn't have it now. That is probably his biggest weakness as he does have some tools to work with. I think it's more shock then anything that a team would give up on a 20 year old they drafted 9th overall just too seasons ago for a player of McLeod's level as he doesn't currently excel in any role as of yet in the NHL.

These people talking about advanced stats, Jesse Puljujarvi had good advanced stats and offensive totals inflated by McDavid and hasn't done anything since leaving the Oilers.

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres fans judge success by leagues they are in so Savoie is treated as worse since he was stuck in the WHL, but it’s just not true, he was their top ceiling prospect.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

So many salty people in this thread that absolutely can't get over the fact Edmonton fleeced Buffalo..

"Savoie is not a highly touted prospect lmao"

The funniest part is, the heavy majority of them have never watched the kid play before.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I think standards in BUF are different than standards in EDM when it comes to touting of prospects.
Up until last week many in Edmonton were happy to have a prospect like Tullio as a top 5 prospect in the organization.

Our prospects either make NHL right away (being top 5 picks) or never pan out.

Savoie is a better prospect than Hollloway and was arguable one of the best scorers not in NHL last year. Let us be happy for a bit.

He just needs to be a PPG player in the AHL next year.. we will go from there afterwards

He was considered Buffalo's 2nd best prospect as recently as Feb, and Mckeen had him as 10th best in hockey as of June 1st.

He was a top prospect.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
He is, and you'd think Edmonton fans would simply be happy with that fact, rather than jumping over each other to tell us how much McLeod sucks and how stupid we are.

Btw, if the numbers don't lie, then the advanced stats on McLeod look excellent.
I mean, a good portion of Oiler fans wanted McLeod gone... especially after how he played in the playoffs.

Its not like there was a sudden switch on him once he got dealt

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Savoie is not a highly touted prospect lmao.

I mean, The Athletic had him 20th in their ranking of the league’s drafted NHL prospects a couple months ago…

Maybe the touting is done places you aren’t looking?

Edit: I see it’s already been mentioned, and the reply is about what you’d expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad