Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Did you say the same about Keller? Your takes are brutal here. Not a fan of small forwards either but you clearly don't watch him if you're comparing him to yamo.
I watched him in Moose Jaw. He didn't look great for a 20-year-old in the dub. Buffalo will win this trade when it is all said and done.

Keller progressed a lot better than Savoie.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Literally nobody thinks they got a physical player. But he plays defense. And his faceoff ability would amount to the best faceoff win percentage a Sabre has had in about 10 years.
He’s a 49% FO guy and there have been a lot of sabers fans saying that he’s the big physical 3rd line C they need. Hes also a much more effective wing than center FYI.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Quite the opposite: They have been bad because they HAVEN'T made trades like this (more proven player for a prospect).

They needed a 3rd line center and got it.

They needed a 3rd line centre. But they didn’t need to trade a top 10 prospect to get it. Ryan McLeod should never net a 1st round pick, let alone a prospect that was 9th overall and has only developed positively.

Bad trade, and it it is getting ripped rightfully. Horrible asset management.

And as poster above mentioned, McLeod plays better on wing than as centre. All the production you see is him playing wing. Other than making face-offs, his best position is wing to utilize speed.

He is big, but he does not play physical.

Good player with good tools, but should have been a lower acquisition price.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Mike Harrington of the buffalo news has had one of the more comical turns I’ve ever seen. Gone from a brash reporter who tells it like it is to a Sabres kiss ass. I used to respect his work despite him being an asshole of a person. But now I don’t even think he is any good at reporting. All he does these days is defend, defend, defend. You know it’s bad when even the fan base way eclipses the amount of negative comments when warranted

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
This thread a mess. When Savoie was with Sabres almost everyone was very happy for him. Now when he's gone same people telling he's trash. Hilarious.
I'm a Sabres fans but the two face stuff kills me all the time...justifying all the bad moves kills me and all the talk of Adams was put in a "position" every time one of these mind boggling trades gets done like the Sabres are cup contender looking for their last piece when in reality they just traded with a team that needed to get under the cap which is ridiculous that their is any so called leverage against Adams who has had several years to build the team back into a playoff contender.

I thought it was solid when they traded a 2nd for Greenway who is pretty comparable level player yet people are nagging the Sabres fans who get mad when they trade one of their best prospects for basically the same level player because apparently he is the real missing piece.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s a 49% FO guy and there have been a lot of sabers fans saying that he’s the big physical 3rd line C they need. Hes also a much more effective wing than center FYI.

Absolutely no one has said that. He’s the very good defensive center we needed. A lot people seem to be struggling to grasp the difference, but when Sabres fans say we got “harder to play against,” we don’t mean “hits go brrrrr”.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Interesting that so many are calling McLeod a 3C. I mean, he can play there, but he clearly shouldn't. You want him on the wing, so he can fly around, his speed is legit. He is more effective there for sure.
Well BUF got him as a 3C and he can certainly play that role. Once Stamkos/Monahan were off the table there really wasn't any quality C left on the free agent market. Lizzotte probably comes the closest but really isn't an upgrade. No UFA chasing a cup would want to go to BUF , a team very similar to pre McDavid Oilers.

This is a win win for both sides IMO. McLeod will do just fine playoff 3C for BUF.

Both these kids now get to play close to home.

If BUF wanted a winger then they could have plucked half a dozen off of free agent market who are just as good as McLeod

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Quite the opposite: They have been bad because they HAVEN'T made trades like this (more proven player for a prospect).

They needed a 3rd line center and got it.
He’s not been good as a 3C though, that’s the thing. He’s been better as a wing player. This trade instantly gives edm the best prospect they own and they could easily swap this in a package for say more defense if need be. And all they gave up was, at least on their team, a fourth line player.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McLeod wasn't getting traded for a 2nd rounder

He was a 2nd round pick himself, one who panned out and was a success at the NHL level. That's worth a first rounder at least.

And yes, a 9th overall has an exponential value advantage over a 20th overall, but there's an injury issue here. Plus Tulio is a bit more interesting than people say.

Overall the Oilers win this trade but it's close

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s not been good as a 3C though, that’s the thing. He’s been better as a wing player. This trade instantly gives edm the best prospect they own and they could easily swap this in a package for say more defense if need be. And all they gave up was, at least on their team, a fourth line player.

Conversely, Savoie had been passed over in Buffalo by Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Cozens, Kulich, and arguably Rosen and Helenius. We wanted to get faster, bigger, and better defensively, and we did that.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
They needed a 3rd line centre. But they didn’t need to trade a top 10 prospect to get it. Ryan McLeod should never net a 1st round pick, let alone a prospect that was 9th overall and has only developed positively.

Bad trade, and it it is getting ripped rightfully. Horrible asset management.

And as poster above mentioned, McLeod plays better on wing than as centre. All the production you see is him playing wing. Other than making face-offs, his best position is wing to utilize speed.

He is big, but he does not play physical.

Good player with good tools, but should have been a lower acquisition price.
Because buffalo’s GM was desperate as hell and because they have so many high picks from being so bad for so long, they won’t miss him. Quite a luxury to have I guess? That said that’s just it. Desperation. McLeod, a bottom 6 player for a top 9 pick from only 2 years ago is suicide. If Buffalo fans are happy then so be it but they paid a heavy price. McLeod is not a great 3C and he will struggle mightily. I guarantee you he won’t last in that spot.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Interesting that after the trade, McLeod is some physical gritty two way 3C, and Savoie is a bust of a prospect. What was the general sentiment of these two players last week? lol

If this trade was proposed last week on the trade board, one for one, how fast would it be shut down?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because buffalo’s GM was desperate as hell and because they have so many high picks from being so bad for so long, they won’t miss him. Quite a luxury to have I guess? That said that’s just it. Desperation. McLeod, a bottom 6 player for a top 9 pick from only 2 years ago is suicide. If Buffalo fans are happy then so be it but they paid a heavy price. McLeod is not a great 3C and he will struggle mightily. I guarantee you he won’t last in that spot.
If they have all these prospects in Savoie's tier then it isn't desperation to move one out. It's smart asset management. It's using a strength to address a weakness. And yes we used a strength, which is NHL depth, to address a weakness: our prospect pool. If Buffalo was desperate to address their weakness then so were we.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well , the Oilers paid a 1st at the deadline for 3 months of a 3rd line C and then resigned him to a big contract afterwards.
McLeod will certainly go longer with the young core in BUF.

As for lasting in that spot, Oilers were icing 7 centers in their top 12 a big reason why McLeod didn't stick as C. Not sure if that's the same case in BUF. McLeod will be just fine.

Interesting that after the trade, McLeod is some physical gritty two way 3C, and Savoie is a bust of a prospect. What was the general sentiment of these two players last week? lol

If this trade was proposed last week on the trade board, one for one, how fast would it be shut down?
McLeod + Broberg could have been fair proposal on HF.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Well , the Oilers paid a 1st at the deadline for 3 months of a 3rd line C and then resigned him to a big contract afterwards.
McLeod will certainly go longer with the young core in BUF.

As for lasting in that spot, Oilers were icing 7 centers in their top 12 a big reason why McLeod didn't stick as C. Not sure if that's the same case in BUF. McLeod will be just fine.

McLeod + Broberg could have been fair proposal on HF.
Broberg for Savoie one for one I could see as semi-fair. But I am a big Broberg fan. :)

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Quebec
Conversely, Savoie had been passed over in Buffalo by Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Cozens, Kulich, and arguably Rosen and Helenius. We wanted to get faster, bigger, and better defensively, and we did that.

I dont think you can get passed over by guys that were higher draft picks and 2-3 years older than you (Quinn & Cozens). The only player you didnt mention and should have, is Noah Ostlund, who's a very similar player in term of size-position-skillset.

Sabres have ton of good forwards but they will soon learn that half of them will flop/have very limited role. It's always like that so to pull the plug on Savoie thinking they are fine is a big mistake.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I dont think you can get passed over by guys that were higher draft picks and 2-3 years older than you (Quinn & Cozens). The only player you didnt mention and should have, is Noah Ostlund, who's a very similar player in term of size-position-skillset.

Sabres have ton of good forwards but they will soon learn that half of them will flop/have very limited role. It's always like that so to pull the plug on Savoie thinking they are fine is a big mistake.
Savoie could very well be the prospect they predict to flop and traded him away to make their team better.
It's hard to test out all these young guns when you can have only so many skilled players.
Sure they could have packaged 3 of them for a better C than McLeod but who was really available?
McLeod checked a few boxes for BUF and they could afford to give up this prospect... could/should have milked out an extra 2nd rd pick perhaps or a better prospect than Tullio but a decent deal otherwise.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Quebec
Savoie could very well be the prospect they predict to flop and traded him away to make their team better.
It's hard to test out all these young guns when you can have only so many skilled players.
Sure they could have packaged 3 of them for a better C than McLeod but who was really available?
McLeod checked a few boxes for BUF and they could afford to give up this prospect... could/should have milked out an extra 2nd rd pick perhaps or a better prospect than Tullio but a decent deal otherwise.

100%, it goes both way. Savoie has a higher ceilling than most of them but he cant really play on a bottom 6 with his style, so very risky prospect to have.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Both fan bases trying to make the argument they some how won the trade easily.

Hear me out..... maybe it was a fair trade.

Mcleod isn't a good 3C. He's going to compete for it in Buffalo but as Sabres fans say there's not much else there so he will win by default not because he is some sort of good two way centre. Two way centre as defined by HF: Player who doesn't score a lot but if you use the homer glasses for your "eye test" you claim great defense.

Maybe the tiny Savoie is just not looking like he's going to be able to overcome his physical disadvantages like they were hoping when he was drafted. Now this is just his value. I'm sure if he was worth more he would have gotten more. Stop thinking of players draft position as value. It means nothing.

Both teams are thinking they got a 3rd line player each. Savoie with a little more potential, mcleod better right now.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad