Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I predict in 5 years this trade will be irrelevant. Not sure Savoie has what it takes to carve it out as an undersized guy and Mcleod is just a player. The oilers best hockey in the playoffs was when Henrique was healthy enough to centre the 3rd line and Mcleod moved down to the 4th line wing. Good penalty killer but a perimeter player out there for cardio most of the time.

Savoie was the 4th best player on Moose Jaw when I watched them live in the WHL playoffs. Mateychuk>Firkus>Yager>Savoie.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They drafted a player 11th overall while doing "little scouting" on him?

Hmm, ya I don't buy it
It's been reported
It's not sprculation.

Thry looked at central scouting and say this player was high thst they probably didnt do much scouting on and picked him. I think they had him around 5.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
What is the offensive pedigree of a typical 3C?

I don't think you're familiar with our team at all if you don't think he'll be the 3C.
You will be lucky to get even 10 goals out of McLeod. The heater he went on in December was because he was with Draisaitl. Without Draisaitl, he did squat for the rest of year.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I’m sorry to tell you but McLeod will not be a reason you win more games in a meaningful way.

As someone else put it, you felt one of your 5 Mercedes for a bicycle because you needed a bike
Lol talk about overrating Savoie. Amazing how he's already a sure thing.

Good prospect but has his issues. Small. Injury prone. Hasn't been able to crack the NHL yet.

He's not a Mercedes. You traded for a mystery key. That key might unlock a Mercedes or it might unlock a tricycle.

Could be Danny Briere. Could be Kailer Yamamoto.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
The thing is... getting McLeod is good for the Sabres, but what they gave up was bad.

Was bad asset management. I'm sure at least a few of the 31 other teams world give up a better player.

There is a reason Buffalo is bad. They make trades like this.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
All these declarative statements from non-Oilers fans about what kind of player McLeod is are just baffling. Like, they just have no basis in reality.

He'll be fine on a team like Buffalo, but if a team like Buffalo wants to be like a winning team, McLeod will have to become a different player than he currently is. The trade may well wake him up - and I hope it does.

There is some risk to Savoie as well, but the Oilers cleared cap for more important players and McLeod had gone as far as he could with this team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

You may not be aware of this, but there’s this thing called “packing your bags and moving” that humans have been known to do a few times throughout history. It is possible, if however unlikely it seems to you, that that poster is a Habs fan that now lives in Edmonton.

There’s also something that happens from time to time where someone chooses to cheer for a team based in another city. I know, super crazy and unlikely scenarios, both of them

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I don't think Savoie is as good as some here seem to think but holy shit what a low value deal for Buffalo. A career bottom 6er and an AHLer trending towards complete bust status.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I predict in 5 years this trade will be irrelevant. Not sure Savoie has what it takes to carve it out as an undersized guy and Mcleod is just a player. The oilers best hockey in the playoffs was when Henrique was healthy enough to centre the 3rd line and Mcleod moved down to the 4th line wing. Good penalty killer but a perimeter player out there for cardio most of the time.

Savoie was the 4th best player on Moose Jaw when I watched them live in the WHL playoffs. Mateychuk>Firkus>Yager>Savoie.
Maybe, but one has a ceiling of a 3c and one has the floor of a 3c.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
You may not be aware of this, but there’s this thing called “packing your bags and moving” that humans have been known to do a few times throughout history. It is possible, if however unlikely it seems to you, that that poster is a Habs fan that now lives in Edmonton.

There’s also something that happens from time to time where someone chooses to cheer for a team based in another city. I know, super crazy and unlikely scenarios, both of them
I'm from the UK and Pittsburgh that also lived in Seattle and Bellevue and now Vancouver and still a Penguins fan. It's like some blokes think you live and die in one city or country.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There are a few people who actually know puck in this thread, but it's certainly not the posters calling this a "fleece" for EDM.

I get that the main purpose of trading Mcleod is for cap purposes. So from that sense, mission accomplished.

The return, Savoie, is not nearly as good as most EDM fans are making him out to be. As usual, many people vastly overrate prospects. He's really maybe BUF's 5th best prospect. I'd put all of Kulich, Ostlund, Helenius, and Benson (who was in the NHL so not a "prospect" I guess, but is still 19 and 16 months younger than Savoie) ahead of him. They've also already got Peterka and Quinn on the roster, so there really was never going to be any place for him to play. His realistic NHL upside is a softish, smallish 2nd line winger. Those assets, we see time and again now, don't really have much value in the NHL. At the lower end of his upside, he's a Kailer Yamamoto, that could be had for at league minimum by any team right now.

BUF get a reliable two-way C that is an upgrade on Krebs for the ostensible 3C spot (a big hole since trading Mittelstadt). At $2.1M, bringing 25ish ES points with ++ defensive value and ++ PK value is a good deal.

It's a peculiar trade for EDM. You don't usually see a team that is (or should be) in all-in contention mode (especially during the last years of Bouch/Drai's contracts) trade for a prospect. Honestly, the best argument for this deal from an EDM POV is that they've found themselves an upgraded trade chip for this year's trade deadline. Savoie is not going to help the team this season, or even appreciably help them in the last year of McD's contract, so turning Savoie into another piece to help them in the post-season makes the most sense.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Have fun with 4 goals from
Janmark 😆

You’re slagging a player that was a key part of one of the best PKs in playoff history, had multiple short handed contributions throughout and scored other goals in the playoffs

Playoffs…13 years (and counting) without playoffs might confuse a fan when it comes to the importance of a player that shows up, during the playoffs. (And it’s not the first time, Janmark had a hat trick in the playoffs with Vegas). Playoffs, something that your new wonderful McLeod never showed up for. Assuming the Sabres finally make it back, maybe McLeod will still be around to maybe, just maybe show up for them

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There are a few people who actually know puck in this thread, but it's certainly not the posters calling this a "fleece" for EDM.

I get that the main purpose of trading Mcleod is for cap purposes. So from that sense, mission accomplished.

The return, Savoie, is not nearly as good as most EDM fans are making him out to be. As usual, many people vastly overrate prospects. He's really maybe BUF's 5th best prospect. I'd put all of Kulich, Ostlund, Helenius, and Benson (who was in the NHL so not a "prospect" I guess, but is still 19 and 16 months younger than Savoie) ahead of him. They've also already got Peterka and Quinn on the roster, so there really was never going to be any place for him to play. His realistic NHL upside is a softish, smallish 2nd line winger. Those assets, we see time and again now, don't really have much value in the NHL. At the lower end of his upside, he's a Kailer Yamamoto, that could be had for at league minimum by any team right now.

BUF get a reliable two-way C that is an upgrade on Krebs for the ostensible 3C spot (a big hole since trading Mittelstadt). At $2.1M, bringing 25ish ES points with ++ defensive value and ++ PK value is a good deal.

It's a peculiar trade for EDM. You don't usually see a team that is (or should be) in all-in contention mode (especially during the last years of Bouch/Drai's contracts) trade for a prospect. Honestly, the best argument for this deal from an EDM POV is that they've found themselves an upgraded trade chip for this year's trade deadline. Savoie is not going to help the team this season, or even appreciably help them in the last year of McD's contract, so turning Savoie into another piece to help them in the post-season makes the most sense.
Think it's a little early to say he won't help Edmonton in the next 2 seasons. He'd be coming in as a complementary winger and would likely be a Skinner replacement or Arvidsson replacement the following year. I'm not sure how you think 3 years of ELC for a guy you might be able to plug into your top 9 is peculiar. The Oilers are built for 3 scoring lines and 1 shut down line (Janmark-Henrique-Brown). This trade makes perfect sense to anyone who has a pulse on the Edmonton Oilers situation.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
you want me to go they the laundry list of useless trades thr maple laughs have donr.

Maybe after the draft they realized he was injury prone and maybe he has some character issues.

For someone drafted in top 10 they usually are in the nhl by year 2 post draft. There may be a reason why.

Maybe Ruff can mold him. Hes still young.

Buffalo valued other high picks more.

Thompson and cozens are signed for 6 more years. They have ELCs in benson, quinn, and Peterka. I see Tuch being resigned. That's 6 of your time 9 long term

Then they still have helenius, ostlund, kulich, Rosen, poltapov, Wahlberg as high prospects.

D/PK 3C is what sabres wanted.

Savoie is small, likely top 6 or bust. Injury prone. Probably has character issues

See what happens. Maybe he becomes a 20/50 3C in buffalo.

Oh I know you could do that, here let me get you started

Kadri
Toskala
Raycroft
Kessel
Tyler Biggs

We could do that for a month straight at least.

But you know what you'll never find? You'll never find a 13 year playoff drought.

And no matter how many bad trades of the Maple Leafs you list it doesn't make this one good.

Whatever point you think you have, you don't have

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
McLeod didn't help them much in the playoffs this year either, he was a complete non-factor in the majority of games and made some massive mistakes.

Why would the Oilers healthy scratch their "best player in the bottom-6"?

It’s pretty funny when all that poster had to do is look up any of Henrique’s, Brown’s or Janmark’s contributions in the playoffs to know that was a horribly incorrect conclusion.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
By the rules of the draft.

Most of Those drafted this year will be 18 on sept 15.

For record keeping 24/2/ is considered his 24 yr old season
He will literally be 25 for the entirety of h the 24/25 regular season but keep going off about him being 24 for draft purposes lol

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol talk about overrating Savoie. Amazing how he's already a sure thing.

Good prospect but has his issues. Small. Injury prone. Hasn't been able to crack the NHL yet.

He's not a Mercedes. You traded for a mystery key. That key might unlock a Mercedes or it might unlock a tricycle.

Could be Danny Briere. Could be Kailer Yamamoto.
Congratulations, you just described every non franchise level prospect in existence.

I offer your Rasmussen for Savoie before this trade, you taking it?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The Sabres still have 6 first-round picked forwards after trading Savoie.

that being said, I think its a mass overpayment for a 3rd line player. Whether they have 1, or 7 first-rounders (last 4 drafts) I think it's a mass overpayment. I can't imagine trading Lekkermerkai alone, let alone Lekkermaki + for a Ryan Mcleod. Do we really want to trade away a 9th pick for a proven 3rd line player? considering Buffalo is still in the rebuild stage. I thought the plan was to let these guys cook in the minors or whatever, develop. if they want 3rd line players find them in free agency, get the most out of your prospects than go from there, and see what they can do.

I assume, Winnipeg not like this offer? It means, Rutuger McGroarty aint gonna get much, or Adams is just a dumb desperate gm, that is not poised and patient.

Kevn Adams is the next fired gm of the NHL.
Adams number one mission is to keep costs down. Especislly with some of the big deals likely handed out to keep UPL, Peterka, Quinn.
He won't be fired.

Reactions: elchud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad