Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If Yamamoto can make the NHL, so can this dude.

I do think Savoie will make the NHL and be better than Yamamoto.

He will play NHL games. Remains to see if he fulfill his potential or if he struggles to adjust his game.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No I'm telling a Red Wings fan who brought up Rasmussen that he has no clue what he's talking about. Someone who implied McLeod only had 30 points because of Drai even though he was on pace for 30ish points w/ Perry & Foegele the year before. If McLeod was on Drai's wing for an entire season he'd have much more than 30 points like another Oilers fan pointed out.

Might actually want to read the comment I'm replying to.
How could he have been pacing for 30pts with Perry the year before when Perry wasn’t even on the Oilers…?

You might want to re check your “facts”

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Let's say that McLeod checks all of the following boxes

*decent at faceoffs
*plus defensive player
*high compete
*fast
*young but experienced
*on a good contract
*team control on next contract
*offensive upside
*solid 3C
*playoff experience

Is there a comparable young center that checks all those boxes who could be had for Matt Savoie?
I like McLeod a lot. Truly I do.

That being said, I would say he lacks the top two bolded. His offense being unlikely to translate to the NHL is one of the reasons he fell out of the first round. And he actively avoids any kind of contact/does not go to the net.

As for playoff experience, he has the experience of a couple pretty sub-par playoffs with Edmonton.

I liked McLeod's game best when he was 2LW with Leon Draisaitl. He's a better winger at the NHL level than he is a C in my estimation.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And let's not forget, Defence can be taught more easily than offence. PK can be taught as well. I have no doubt our PK will normalize after a historic run, but I don't think it will "suffer" from McLeod's absence., we still have Nuge, Brown and Janmark

And Henrique and Ryan. We have plenty of PK guys

McLeod is a known quantity who helps the Sabres *now*, filling a gaping hole at 3C. This is a playoffs-or-bust year (maybe you've heard that before).

Savoie is an excellent prospect who might be a big plus for the Oilers *later*. It's highly unlikely he wins a forward spot during the next two seasons. Which is fine with the Oilers, who look set to be Cup contenders for many years. In the meantime their thin prospect pool looks a lot better.

Good trade for both teams.

It’s still yet to be seen if McLeod can be a 3C. He wasn’t able to in Edmonton. There’s risk on both sides

It's been reported that Adams had been trying to trade Savoie all summer and no one bit. One of the Sabres beat reporters (Lance Lysowski) also reported that he talked to sources on teams around the league and they said Savoie didn't have as much value as the public thinks. Teams were more interested in Kulich and Wahlberg, and Adams didn't want to trade either of them.

That doesn't mean Savoie's not a good prospect or that Oilers fans shouldn't be thrilled, just that it's not as bad of a value trade for the Sabres as looks on the surface. We'll all have to just wait and see how it turns out. I hope it works out for both teams, personally.

Sure sounds like a GM trying to do damage control. Why would he be trying to trade Savoie all summer? Especially when this deal was reportedly being discussed at the draft. If Savoie was on the table, it would have been done sooner.

The amount of Buffalo fans that love this trade are nuts. McLeod is a sub par 3C and in no way, shape or form is he even close to being worth a top 9 pick from a few years ago. But because Buffalo has so many high picks it makes it okay? Nope. 100% desperation and McLeod isn't going to turn the team around. Brutal trade.

Most of his points were when he was at wing with Draisaitl. As a center he did next to nothing and then eventually played his way out of the spot.

Ya losing a trade to maybe fill a hole doesn’t mean Adams made a good trade

He is the definition of average on draw. Sabres fans keep trying to colour all these moves in the positive. Maybe fit will matter more. But the reality is okay in faceoff on a team that stinks. Doesn't exactly sound like a power move. Elite PK? I read somewhere else he was a 3rd pair PK on Oilers. Not sure how elite the guy is, if so. Not saying he's not a guy who doesn't add to the lineup, but that wasn't all that hard. If he can get like 35 or ro points and play a great D, we will have found value. I'm not against trading Savoie, I think Sabres should have got a tad more (like a second) thrown in.

Ya he likely wasn’t going to be part of the main 4 PK forwards in Edmonton, but he should still majorly help Buffalo in that department. The question is more if he can get rid of the inconsistent defense at even strength and if he’ll finally be willing to use his size a bit (not even hitting. Just to drive the net and protect the puck).

I see it differently. If Savoie is a top 25 prospect it means that the Sabres have another 3 or 4 in the top 25 and that does not include Benson.

That may or may not be true. But either way, most people have him as a top 25 prospect, and I’ve even seen some rankings that have him top 10.

or, simply put, Adams knows something about the prospect that we don't? sometimes its beyond performance, say a PLD for example. In the end, most trade balances out, Adams is not a moron as some of us forum posters believe him to be.

Our head of player development was his GM in the USHL. It’s safe to say we know about the prospect.

Reactions: capazzo

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I like McLeod a lot. Truly I do.

That being said, I would say he lacks the top two bolded. His offense being unlikely to translate to the NHL is one of the reasons he fell out of the first round. And he actively avoids any kind of contact/does not go to the net.

As for playoff experience, he has the experience of a couple pretty sub-par playoffs with Edmonton.

I liked McLeod's game best when he was 2LW with Leon Draisaitl. He's a better winger at the NHL level than he is a C in my estimation.

Fair enough and thanks for the informed reply.

I assert that Sabres management thinks he checks all of those boxes. Rightly or wrongly.

My query is, if you accept the premises, what other young center was acquireable at that cost.

I think we overpaid for McLeod. I also understand (I think) why the trade went down.

Edit to add
*Adams et al., in their minds, didn't make a trade for a mediocre at best 3C with minimal upside

*At most, there were 21 players in the draft I would have preferred as an asset over Savoie. Probably more like 15, but let's go with 21. So for me, Savoie 22nd overall. McLeod, at best, 29th overall. Probably around 37th overall.

Savoie, 16th to 22nd overall
McLeod, 29th to 37th overall

Yes. Sabres lost the trade in my estimation.

How much does it matter? I have no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
or, simply put, Adams knows something about the prospect that we don't? sometimes its beyond performance, say a PLD for example. In the end, most trade balances out, Adams is not a moron as some of us forum posters believe him to be.

I’m sure George McPhee felt he knew what Filip Forsberg was going to be too. And, at the time, Erat obviously provided more than a prospect could to the Caps. But we know how that played out long term. This trade feels eerily similar.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair enough and thanks for the informed reply.

I assert that Sabres management thinks he checks all of those boxes. Rightly or wrongly.

My query is, if you accept the premises, what other young center was acquireable at that cost.

I think we overpaid for McLeod. I also understand (I think) why the trade went down.

Edit to add
*Adams et al., in their minds, didn't make a trade for a mediocre at best 3C with minimal upside

*At most, there were 21 players in the draft I would have preferred as an asset over Savoie. Probably more like 15, but let's go with 21. So for me, Savoie 22nd overall. McLeod, at best, 29th overall. Probably around 37th overall.

Savoie, 16th to 22nd overall
McLeod, 29th to 37th overall

Yes. Sabres lost the trade in my estimation.

How much does it matter? I have no idea.

I think Savoie still carries a lot of value from being a top ten pick, and his WHL numbers from this year are very favourable, in line or better than guys like Eberle and Point at the same age,

I think what Buffalo paid is roughly around the price that the Habs paid to get Dach and Newhook. The difference is that McLeod is a bit older than they were at the time of the trade, and possibly didn't have as much perceived value around the league, as he wasn't a former first round pick himself, nevermind top ten. There's lots to like about him though.

As for who else was available, I'm not sure. I do think Edmonton seized on an opportunity as soon as Henrique signed though. They traded a guy that was slotting in as their 4C for a very high upside player that could play NHL games in our top 9 as soon as this year, in a position we're very light.

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I’m sure George McPhee felt he knew what Filip Forsberg was going to be too. And, at the time, Erat obviously provided more than a prospect could to the Caps. But we know how that played out long term. This trade feels eerily similar.
Erat was 32 when he was traded and was already declining. Even if McLeod is as bad as all the Oilers fans now say he is, he should continue to play at his current level for many more years.

Reactions: KristichBabych

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Erat was 32 when he was traded and was already declining. Even if McLeod is as bad as all the Oilers fans now say he is, he should continue to play at his current level for many more years.
I mean this is just typical of all trades.

Oilers pick up a top prospect in the NHL, all of a sudden he's a bust.

Oilers fans respond by calling a third liner a fourth liner

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Exactly this.

Sabres are getting a third line guy that could maybe crack 20 one year, depending on the circumstances. Should be a good player for them for a few years.

Oilers are getting an undersized forward prospect who has put up elite offensive production in junior, and was a top ten pick.

Who "wins" the trade obviously hinges on what Savoie becomes in the NHL. Most Oiler fans probably had McLeod's value pegged at a second round pick, so we're obviously happy with the deal. But we still lose it if Savoie busts.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

The vast majority of Sabres fans haven't said anything close to Savoie being a bust. We simply said we can afford to lose him because we have several similar prospects and had a hole to fill.

I get it, it's the Sabres, most fun team in the NHL to dunk on because anyone can do it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The vast majority of Sabres fans haven't said anything close to Savoie being a bust. We simply said we can afford to lose him because we have several similar prospects and had a hole to fill.

I get it, it's the Sabres, most fun team in the NHL to dunk on because anyone can do it.
oh, sweet summer child. Try being an Oiler fan on the mainboards. Members of 31 fanbases suddenly became massive Panthers fans and celebrated their win as their own.

Apparently losing in the cup final in 7 games also means our team sucks, Florida destroyed Edmonton, and we only got there because of luck and we're nothing without McDavid.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
oh, sweet summer child. Try being an Oiler fan on the mainboards. Members of 31 fanbases suddenly became massive Panthers fans and celebrated their win as their own.

Apparently losing in the cup final in 7 games also means our team sucks and we only got there because of luck and we're nothing without McDavid.
I appreciate what you are saying and how you personally feel, but I have mentioned on several boards now I am from YK and the Oilers are my second team. I am sorry some people were mean on the boards but it wasn't me and quite frankly, once the Edmonton started to come back I saw MANY independent fans who wanted Edmonton to complete the comeback. Maybe your confirmation bias blocked those replies out?

Forgive me for thinking the franchise that got the two best players the game has ever seen and has multiple cups in their history doesn't have it worse than Buffalo. The current record holder for longest playoff drought and not a single championship in any major sport.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus

Apparently losing in the cup final in 7 games also means our team sucks, Florida destroyed Edmonton, and we only got there because of luck and we're nothing without McDavid.
WE HAD THE EASIEST ROAD TO THE FINALS

NO OTHER EXPLANATION BASED ON OUR SHITTY GOALTENDING AND TERRIBLE DEFENSE

I appreciate what you are saying and how you personally feel, but I have mentioned on several boards now I am from YK and the Oilers are my second team. I am sorry some people were mean on the boards but it wasn't me and quite frankly, once the Edmonton started to come back I saw MANY independent fans who wanted Edmonton to complete the comeback. Maybe your confirmation bias blocked those replies out?

Forgive me for thinking the franchise that got the two best players the game has ever seen and has multiple cups in their history doesn't have it worse than Buffalo. The current record holder for longest playoff drought and not a single championship in any major sport.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Keep holding on and you guys will eventually make the playoffs, I wish you the best this year.
Still wish you guys beat the Canes in 06.

North

Jun 25, 2009

I think the majority of Oilers fans have just stated what McLeod was for us or was going to be going forward for us in terms of where he’d slot in.

He wasn’t an effective 3C so we had to acquire Henrique.

Once Henrique re-signed, McLeod would have slotted in at 4C.

He’s more effective on the wing.

He’s a good PKer and a good neutral zone defender as others have stated.

His own zone defense though is bad.

He was okay at face-offs but ranked last on the Oilers.

It feels like giving an honest overview of the player ruffled some feathers.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Has a single poster in this thread paused to think that the trade may be evidence that neither player actually carried the type of value you thought?

Nah, what am I thinking, where’s the fun in that?

Carry on.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
How could he have been pacing for 30pts with Perry the year before when Perry wasn’t even on the Oilers…?

You might want to re check your “facts”
Because I mixed him up with Puljujarvi/Foegele? You can just look at the comment afterwords. It doesn't change the argument.

You were still wrong

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He’s a 4C or 3LW on a legit team. Henrique was brought in because McLeod couldn’t cut it as 3C. That’s not to say he sucks, or that he can’t take the next step and become a 3C. The same thing was said about him when he was in Edmonton. It’s not new

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I personally think Savoie's floor is that of a good 2nd line winger. The sky is the limit with his ceiling.

Most projections I see of him are still pretty bullish on his top line winger upside.

From Edmonton's side, McLeod was looking like he'd slot in as our 4C this year behind McDavid, Drai, and Henrique. LW is also jammed with RNH, Holloway, and Skinner.
If you had a gun to your head and someone said place Savoie anywhere in your guys top nine, do you think he’s scoring more or less than 30 points next season?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
not sure why buffalo makes this trade. i can only speculate that they saw something in savoie that they didnt like.
I would surmise there's a combination of reasons why Savoie was chosen as the trade chip in this. Buffalo doesn't lack for high end prospect trade chips, and they did need to rebuild that bottom 6 for sure, as they don't lack for offensive power in their roster top 6, even with Skinner gone.

If McLeod fulfills his role here in Buffalo, and Savoie achieves his ceiling, it looks to be a win/win trade for both organizations.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because I mixed him up with Puljujarvi/Foegele? You can just look at the comment afterwords. It doesn't change the argument.

You were still wrong
I wasn’t wrong, you’re using pace on just over half a season. He never actually had 30pts that year.

He followed that up by playing lower than a 30pt pace away from Draisaitl, and an even worse post season.

He’s a borderline 3rd line player, probably better suited on the 4th

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Let's say that McLeod checks all of the following boxes

*decent at faceoffs
*plus defensive player
*high compete
*fast
*young but experienced
*on a good contract
*team control on next contract
*offensive upside
*solid 3C
*playoff experience

Is there a comparable young center that checks all those boxes who could be had for Matt Savoie?

Hayton or Drury could be considered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad