Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
And before that it was the forsberg-erat trade. I bet you loved that trade for the caps at the time too.

Even for hf this take is brutal. Might be one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while

wut.. what's the dumb take ? it wouldn't be shocking to learn buffalo has some insight that devalues savoie.

Or they are just a terribly run organization, like we have known for years

I mean, definitely possible. But if they're looking at the same information we have, that's, pretty damn egregious, even for Buffalo.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No, he won't. If you honestly believe Adams made this trade because he's desperate or just dumb, your only lying to yourself. As the GM of the organization he determined this trade based on information he has, not merely to bring in a 3rd line center. You may not like the trade, but to pretend we know better than the guy who's job it is to watch every detail of a prospects development is, to be quite frank, laughable.
They've been doing their job terrible for several years now and as a whole we've had 13 years to get going.....there is no justifiable reason to trust the Sabres management until the team doesn't suck ass.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
wut.. what's the dumb take ? it wouldn't be shocking to learn buffalo has some insight that devalues savoie.

I mean, definitely possible. But if they're looking at the same information we have, that's, pretty damn egregious, even for Buffalo.
It's confirmation bias and just plain homerism. He knows it's a bad trade value wise and so he's trying to justify the trade by saying something is wrong with savoie, despite there being no indication based on his stats or play this past year.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Aside from size, they are literally not comparable at all. Not to mention Yamamoto is a fair bit smaller.

I bet you're quite knowledgeable when it comes to Savoie though, and when Yamamoto was a prospect
savoie is about 5'7 tops. kid is tiny and won't be great in the show. I've seen him lots in junior and I think he busts.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They dealt from a position of strength to obtain an asset they desperately needed. They have a vision for their team for once- speed and hard to play against. McLeod brings the speed they want and the two-way play they need in a 3C. The facts he's a center just hitting his prime and has steadily been improving makes him a hot commodity.

There's the positive spin. Pay the piper to win more hockey games.
I’m sorry to tell you but McLeod will not be a reason you win more games in a meaningful way.

As someone else put it, you felt one of your 5 Mercedes for a bicycle because you needed a bike

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
Since when does McLeod have “snarl”? I like the player but he has whatever is the opposite of snarl.

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
Snarl? With respect, I sure hope Buffalo fans aren't expecting McLeod to be a physical player. He avoids hitting and the centre of the ice like they're the plague. He's fast though and defensively responsible. Just don't expect any kind of snarl (or scoring for that matter).

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
McLeod is one of those weird players that has good defensive metrics, but when you watch them play they don't really stand out defensively. Akin to Puljujarvi in a sense. In fact, I've always thought his in zone defense was poor, stems from his avoidance of taking the body. Good in NZ d though. He's the kind of player that could kill a whole shift by just skating around the outside and playing keep away - oh wait, that's what he does a lot haha.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's literally 24 years old lmao

"well outside the normal age of breaking out"

What are you even talking about? We need him to be a 3C. Not a top line player.
He's literally 24 years old lmao

"well outside the normal age of breaking out"

What are you even talking about? We need him to be a 3C. Not a top line player.
Since when does the season start before September 25th?

If you don’t need him to improve, then why does his age matter? You can get average 3/4th line players for free all the time

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
And before that it was the forsberg-erat trade. I bet you loved that trade for the caps at the time too.

Big difference

It's been reported The caps drafted Forsberg with little scouting. Jr was the best available when they picked him. Between the draft and thst trsfe they didnt pay attention to him.

my only guess is that buffalo knows something we all don't about savoie.

I think there is something. I found it very strange last fall at the start of the season where he got injured in October
When he was cleared he practiced. They could have played him in 5 or so games before sending him back. Insyeadvhe played a total of 3 min and then the next day was sent back to juniors. Ghat makes no logical sense unless something else was going on like ego or character.

Ruff is very good friends with James Pstrick who lined Savoie and likely shared an honest opinion that may have said negative things on his character.

That combined with the early season try out makes me wonder.

It's confirmation bias and just plain homerism. He knows it's a bad trade value wise and so he's trying to justify the trade by saying something is wrong with savoie, despite there being no indication based on his stats or play this past year.

Sometimes you can have a great player who may be an awful personality or a locker room problem.
I’m sorry to break it to you man but McLeod ain’t 24 years old and really is well outside the normal age of breaking out.
McLeod was drafted in 2018. That means he will be 24 by mid sept based on the draft birthdate range.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Since when does the season start before September 25th?

If you don’t need him to improve, then why does his age matter? You can get average 3/4th line players for free all the time
By the rules of the draft.

Most of Those drafted this year will be 18 on sept 15.

For record keeping 24/2/ is considered his 24 yr old season

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Big difference

It's been reported The caps drafted Forsberg with little scouting. Jr was the best available when they picked him. Between the draft and thst trsfe they didnt pay attention to him.
They drafted a player 11th overall while doing "little scouting" on him?

Hmm, ya I don't buy it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad