Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Benson is constantly drawing contact and using it to protect the puck.

Yes. He was saying if you have a puck hound and a guy not afraid to go to net you would have a good line match with McLeod ... That describes Zach perfectly

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Savoie led the WHL in PPG last year. You don't trade that type of high end top end talent for a 3C whose looking to get a payday soon. Especially one that got benched in the playoffs for his inability to play physical hockey. You trade a 2nd/3rd and a b prospect for that type of player. Savoie was my favorite Sabre prospect.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Well yeah having 2 of the best players in the world and a generational talent will do that. Your last line is false. Buffalo is a bad team and Skinner at 3M would have been kept for the top 6 there every day of the week. Top 6 wing has been a weakness for the Oilers for a long time though so Skinner is an upgrade on what has often played in the Oilers top 6.

BS. Kevyn Adams verified that Skinner is no longer a top6 option on the Buffalo Sabres.

I hope (and I believe) he plays more inspired minutes on the Oilers. He has been uncoachable for two franchises. Maybe if Tage Thompson was healthy last season things would have been different. But he had to go. Ruff wanted him off the team I'm sure, and Ruff+Adams was enough for the owner.

The owner is eating 18 million dollars or whatever it is because the player simply needed to be off the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Savoie led the WHL in PPG last year. You don't trade that type of high end top end talent for a 3C whose looking to get a payday soon. Especially one that got benched in the playoffs for his inability to play physical hockey. You trade a 2nd/3rd and a b prospect for that type of player. Savoie was my favorite Sabre prospect.

True, he could turn out to be Brayden Point.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
That is why the Oilers needed to upgrade ineffective players like McLeod, so McDavid doesn't need to do it all on his own.
Well, Skinner will definitely give you some good offense, but he also won't play one iota of defense so he's a big liability there. Also he has 0 experience in the playoffs so he's a wildcard come mid-April. I still think he'll fit in well on Edmonton though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
BS. Kevyn Adams verified that Skinner is no longer a top6 option on the Buffalo Sabres.

I hope (and I believe) he plays more inspired minutes on the Oilers. He has been uncoachable for two franchises. Maybe if Tage Thompson was healthy last season things would have been different. But he had to go. Ruff wanted him off the team I'm sure, and Ruff+Adams was enough for the owner.

The owner is eating 18 million dollars or whatever it is because the player simply needed to be off the roster.
That's hard to believe for a team that scored 244 goals last year.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Well, Skinner will definitely give you some good offense, but he also won't play one iota of defense so he's a big liability there. Also he has 0 experience in the playoffs so he's a wildcard come mid-April. I still think he'll fit in well on Edmonton though.
That is fine. The Oilers need some wingers who can score. McLeod was useless in the playoffs as well so no loss there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seen this mentioned a few times now. Not sure what kind payday McLeod is going to get. Hasn’t exactly done anything to deserve one

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Oilers is only good because they have mcdavid and drai. Put Skinner with him and everyone Will look good . Skinner is not good enough for any of the sabres lines .
Oilers had McDavid and Draisaitl for several years before they became good so your statement is false. It wasn't until they started adding some additional pieces over the past 3 or 4 seasons (and developing an elite offensive d-man in Bouchard) that they became good.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ineffective in the regular season, or "McDavid in the SCF game 7" ineffective?
McLeod was somewhat effective in the regular season offensively, especially when playing on Draisaitl's wing.

He had a miserable playoffs though. Uninspired physical play (as per usual for him). Next to no offence. Healthy scratched multiple games after some terrible turn overs that cost them at least one or two games, and nearly another against Van in a game they had full control over. His PKing was solid, but so was just about everyone on the roster's.

McLeod unfortunately put up 2 stinker playoff performances in a row and it was time for him to go. They hoped he'd get off the perimeter and compete in physical battles, but it seems that just isn't possible for this player. Still brings some positive elements, but just not enough for a shutdown centre on a contending team.

Reactions: Oilhawks and BB79

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
100% McLeod is better than Henrique.

I like Holloway, but all of the other 4 are old, and dont play the game like McLeod does. Feet always moving trying to make something happen. None have close to the motor McLeod has, and come playoff time you need more those guys.
Dude there is no way you've watched any Oilers games this past season with your takes in this thread. McLeod driving to the net with size and speed? WHEN?

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
This trade was reportedly in the works for a week, very likely Buffalo didn’t get any better offers

This is your favorite thing to say when somebody good gets traded or signs with the oilers.

“they didn’t have any better offers” or “no one else wanted them lol”

You sound like an incel who got left out of the dance.

This is a fleecing. In what world does a 9OV pick who just led the WHL in scoring get traded for a career 3rd line player. Even if he never plays a game in the NHL that is insanely terrible asset management.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's why at a certain time you need to go away from BPA if you keep drafting the same profile of a player. The Sabers, in the last three years drafted Savoie, Ohland, Benson, Helenius all in the first round - all four sub 6 feet skilled players. Now they traded one of those assets for a third line center - at best. Something is wrong with this organization's team building process.

Tes they drafted size in the 2nd and 3rd round - but that irrelevant. You have to maximize your 1st round picks especially since they are all in the top 16.

Reactions: MessierII

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Prone to making bad decisions would be the words.

I’m not talking about throwing any kind of big hits, but just simple things like pushing a player to the outside and tying them up. Knob 100% put an emphasis on those kind of plays and it’s those plays where Clouder struggled badly in the playoffs. It’s the rep he’s had since before he was drafted.
Is he though? I didn’t think he was mistake prone during his time here. The glaring ones in the playoffs seem to be making this more of a narrative than it actually is.

I saw a lot of warranted criticism that Mcleod isn’t physical enough, but by and large he’s in the right spot defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad