Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Feb 5, 2016
That's another area McLeod was superfluous for us.

The writing was on the wall when we re-signed Henrique.

With Connor, Leon, Holloway, Henrique, and Hamblin in the minors, we have a ton of left shot guys that can win a draw. (all 5 over 50% last year)
Buffalo doesn’t have a faceoff guy like McLeod.

Girgensons was Buffalo’s best face man over 100 faceoffs at 47.7% which tells me how desperately the Sabes needed someone who can win draws in the defensive zone.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It was McLeod at times in the playoffs. Most notably a puck whiff giveaway that eventually lead to his scratching. Kulak had a similar one too. Holloway also got torched on a winger breakout mistake.

But Mcleod was scratched for a stretch where mistakes like that piled up in a short stretch combined with not enough offensive production. Knob sat him to get some nervousness out of his game and give him a reset. Then he was back in the line up and actually did start to produce for us.

I agree he’s a perimeter player though. And he doesn’t have enough physicality. I just don’t think it’s his hands that are holding him back.
I don’t think you can blame “nervousness” when
It was McLeod at times in the playoffs. Most notably a puck whiff giveaway that eventually lead to his scratching. Kulak had a similar one too. Holloway also got torched on a winger breakout mistake.

But Mcleod was scratched for a stretch where mistakes like that piled up in a short stretch combined with not enough offensive production. Knob sat him to get some nervousness out of his game and give him a reset. Then he was back in the line up and actually did start to produce for us.

I agree he’s a perimeter player though. And he doesn’t have enough physicality. I just don’t think it’s his hands that are holding him back.
im not sure how you blame “nervousness” when it was his 4th playoffs and he’s now played 56 playoff games. Sure Holloway had some obvious jitters, but McLeod was just being the same player who’s not willing to engage physically that he’s always been.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He uses it well to get the upper hand when driving to the net with the puck, I know he isn’t the smartest player but just because hems not on your team anymore doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.
McLeod never goes to the net, that's his biggest problem. He sometimes does when he plays wing, but never does it when he plays center. I am not saying he is a bad player. He is a decent 4th line level guy that no one should ever trade a 1st round level prospect for. If the Oilers traded a guy they drafted 9th overall for a player like McLeod, I would think they are the dumbest team in the league, Even if the prospect doesn't turn out because you can find handfuls of guys that are as effective players as McLeod is. He adds very little. The Oilers had to sign players to replace him, because he didn't do enough.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Which of Holloway, Janmark, Brown, Skinner and Arvidsson is slow?
Is Savoie slow?

Are you saying McLeod>Henrique because he is faster?
100% McLeod is better than Henrique.

I like Holloway, but all of the other 4 are old, and dont play the game like McLeod does. Feet always moving trying to make something happen. None have close to the motor McLeod has, and come playoff time you need more those guys.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bud if you think Ryan Mcleod is a 3rd line centre... you are sadly mistaken.
McLeod was a bit over 50% on the dot taking 700+ draws and scored 30 pts without any PP time . He also PKed lots.

Sounds like a fine 3C to me.

Other than not putting pucks in the net when he had great chances he was a fine Oiler.

Reactions: Beauty

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sure buddy, and I suppose you know a lot about Savoie too, or are you just looking at draft position? I fear he’s Griffin Reinhart all over again.

Nope, I know nothing about Savoie at all in fact. I don't have an opinion on him really. I'm just pointing out how beyond ridiculous your opinion is on McLeod, as somebody who has watched every NHL game he's ever played in. You are so wrong about him, that I can't tell if you are just screwing around or not, that is how wrong you are.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
100% McLeod is better than Henrique.

I like Holloway, but all of the other 4 are old, and dont play the game like McLeod does. Feet always moving trying to make something happen. None have close to the motor McLeod has, and come playoff time you need more those guys.
So McLeod over Henrique is what you need for playoffs .. got it!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
100% - he is a demon on the forecheck and back check. You need players like him with speed and heart to win come playoff time. Not saying he’s the sole reason the Oilers went far last season but he was a piece of the puzzle, and now that piece is gone and hasn’t been replaced.

They kept Henrique who is a better player than McLeod, there's your replacement. McLeod was being asked to moonlight in the top 6, he's not talented enough to play with Draisaitl.

Reactions: ManByng

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
People realize that Adams has been offering Savoie to teams around the league and McLeod was the best offer he got. If Savoie was such a sure thing why didn't we get a better offer?
He wasnt that good . Remember Nylander ? Was a good trade . Savoie wont play with oilers next season if they dont want to rush him

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Meh, it's not bad from BUF point of view.. They just could have milked Holland for a 1st rd pick on top of Tullio+McLeod for Savoie..
Our interm GM is Jeff Jackson, who is parting ways with players he doesn’t think he can win a cup with! The Oilers won’t miss the marginal defensive play of McLeod, Desharnais or Foegele. :dunno:

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Numbers are numbers, man, idk what to tell you. McLeod has strong defensive metrics.

I don’t even like this trade, but it’s obvious what kind of role McLeod can fill on the Sabres roster.
Must be one of those magical players that get respect the second they leave the Oilers, because ive never heard complementing McLeod in my time on HF, only putting him down.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure buddy, keep telling people that. Your word means nothing.

Ryan McLeod is the more valuable piece in this deal, and if you did watch those “100 games” you so claim to have watched you would know this.

Matthew Savoies won’t help Edmonton win that game 7, but more Ryan McLeod’s will. I hate this move for Edmonton.
This is top notch trolling haha.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McLeod was a bit over 50% on the dot taking 700+ draws and scored 30 pts without any PP time . He also PKed lots.

Sounds like a fine 3C to me.

Other than not putting pucks in the net when he had great chances he was a fine Oiler.

Yup, McLeod was a fine player, he isn't a #3 C, but he was a fine player. I like him quite a bit in the regular season in fact. Hate him in the playoffs, but that isn't really his fault. He just isn't a scrappy player that can win battles, he just isn't. He can help Buffalo win some games in the regular season though for sure. I'd play him at wing, but maybe Buffalo's C depth is really bad, I don't know their team well enough to comment on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad