Dreger: Buchnevich is likely to be traded

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I’d love to snag Buchnevic for Detroit’s top 6.

Parayko, Buch for Detroit’s 1st in 24, 2nd in 25, Berggren and Veleno as throw ins
I think Parayko's rep among other fans took a hit during the 22-23 season, but he wasn't the reason our defense stunk that year. This year he played like a high end shut down guy who can eat a ton of minutes against any competition. He's not an elite #1 D, but he's still extremely valuable and on a reasonable cap hit that's low enough that I'm not too worried about the final years of his contract. I don't think most Blues fans would trade him for 2 1sts straight up.

Reactions: Blueston

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I think Parayko's rep among other fans took a hit during the 22-23 season, but he wasn't the reason our defense stunk that year. This year he played like a high end shut down guy who can eat a ton of minutes against any competition. He's not an elite #1 D, but he's still extremely valuable and on a reasonable cap hit that's low enough that I'm not too worried about the final years of his contract. I don't think most Blues fans would trade him for 2 1sts straight up.

For two 1sts I might consider, since he is not exactly spring chicken any more, and probably will not be around when our youngsters fully mature. WIth that said, he is extremely valuable today, and it would take some considerable incentives to make Armstrong pull the trigger.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
For two 1sts I might consider, since he is not exactly spring chicken any more, and probably will not be around when our youngsters fully mature. WIth that said, he is extremely valuable today, and it would take some considerable incentives to make Armstrong pull the trigger.
St louis including 2 1st to move Parayko?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Tough to say what STL does because their in an akward middle ground, do they trade guys like Faulk, Buchnevic to clear cap for young guys effectively making them worse? or do they just sign Buch to a long term deal and hope their prospects fill in the gaps?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
What do ST Louis fans think of something around Parayko and Buch for Marner?

Leafs probably add someone liek Liljergen, 24 year old , PMD , he's still got some potential but I think he's 4 to 6 dman. Does well when paired with a stay at home type dman

Blues add prospect or pick , depending how this playoffs actually plays out someone like Bolduc or Stl 1st?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
We wouldnt thats a crap offer. Buch will cost wallinder kasper. End of story parayko jusy isnt for sale

Leafs probably add someone liek Liljergen, 24 year old , PMD , he's still got some potential but I think he's 4 to 6 dman. Does well when paired with a stay at home type dman

Blues add prospect or pick , depending how this playoffs actually plays out someone like Bolduc or Stl 1st?
We say ummm h e 11 n0

Tough to say what STL does because their in an akward middle ground, do they trade guys like Faulk, Buchnevic to clear cap for young guys effectively making them worse? or do they just sign Buch to a long term deal and hope their prospects fill in the gaps?
Blues will have about 16 in cap if the ceiling raises. Lol

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

No thank you.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
One thing that 32 pages of chatter and no move point out to me is that Dreger remains the worst of any of the supposed "insiders".
You see, that's based on your opinion and I've been told by a few sources that the situation remains fluid. Now, a call can change this at anytime, but I feel Chainshot isn't being fully truthful. I wouldn't say he's lying, or anything, but I don't think he's showing his true cards on the matter and that his response is emotionally driven. With that said, it's very possible is opinion is correct and there is no emotional side to his response. I'd also like to apologize incase Chainshot isn't a male.

At the end of the day, we wait to see where his true opinion on me, Darren "tell you an entire story, but you learn nothing" Dreger

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Agreed if you deal Parayko you might as well go full rebuild and trade everybody over 24 on the roster not named Rob Thomas. The defense without him is just an unimaginable disaster.

He didn't turn into Chris Pronger but he's an absolute mammoth defensive presence, who along with an evergreen Leddy, are the only things holding any semblance of defensive structure together on the team. You could say "well we can deal Parayko and then sign an UFA defender or two" but to what end? You'll have to pay that UFA defender on just as long a deal and probably just as much on AAV as Parayko and while there are some solid guys out there (Skjei, Montour, Pesce, Roy, etc) - I don't think any of them could do the heavy-lifting and minute eating Parayko does and not suffer greatly.

The truth is Parayko's deal is a terrific from an AAV standpoint. On the open market he's getting at least a Hanifin-type number IMO. The length is what scares people but at this point - it's really no different than adding a top UFA.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Are you adding Kneis and a couple 1sts?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The time to make a killing on Buch was this year.

Now it's a 1st + a bunch of B-tier stuff. Slightly more than the Hanifin trade.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
St. Louis fans are way overvaluing Parayko, but I can't blame them. He's a good defensive d-man but d-men who don't break the 40 point mark don't bring back the kind of returns they are looking for, regardless of how good they are in their own zone. St. Louis would be better off keeping him as I think the best they would get would be a mid-first and a prospect and I think he's worth more than that to the team.

I think Buchnevich, now that he is a one year rental, will bring back a 1st and a prospect. I would trade Detroit 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, and Berggen (or Wallinder) for him but I suspect Yzerman is going to use his first on another player that Detroit fans will see in the NHL in like 2031.

• Haha
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
For the record, Parayko led all defensemen in takeaways and blocked shots. That’s something never talked about. He had the best season of his career and very quietly.

He will never put up a lot of points but he’s one of the best actual defenders in the league.

Parayko is definitely not being traded but I still hope Buchnevich is.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I expect they tell you to pound sand. That's a horrific offer.

Reactions: Memento

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
^^^acknowledge there aren’t any blues fans offering parayko, just other fan bases who think his value is at an all time low and simultaneously fill the defensive top 4 role on their team

Which is why this subforum kinda sucks. All anyone wants to do is trade for someone their want on their team for whatever spare parts they're willing to offer. It's never approached from an objective standpoint of what does the other side need?

Parayko would be valued similarly to what Vlasic was valued at. He's a guy that eats a ton of minutes andis great defensively. Hell, if the cost was so low on acquiring aguy like that we could solve our issues real easily by trading a 1st and change for Pelech and boom, left side is fixed. He's not OEL who we have to pay through the nose to move, like that really smart Sabres fan implies.

Reactions: tvillewr4

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And Parayko has multi years remaining. He is the key get in this trade. Blues wouldn't touch that.
Parayko is a solid top pairing shutdown D, any deal with Marner will involve him extending. Hence why I said it would be fair value because Marner would have between 4 and 8 years on his deal as well.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Parayko is a solid top pairing shutdown D, any deal with Marner will involve him extending. Hence why I said it would be fair value because Marner would have between 4 and 8 years on his deal as well.
Marner extending at 11+M is terrible for the receiving team. There is no way the Blues trade for Marner and extend him to a bad deal - especially when they have playoff aspirations and looking to compete. Marner hurts you in the post season. Parayko helps you compete.

Leafs would have to add multple 1st to even this one up.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad