OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wonder if they can fix that in time for next season. I guess so. But man that's a lot of money and work they gotta spend for a stadium they're moving out of..

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

As far as I am concerned, move the Rays to Steinbrenner Field for the last 3 years and be done with it. If the A's can play in Sacramento we can do this. I'm not saying I never once had a great night at Tropicana Field and countless memories. I'm saying this may not be the most appropriate option while the other side of the Bay is ready to welcome the Rays with open arms. And Steinbrenner Field just *chefs kiss*

Now watch Stu use this as an excuse to fire sale the team again

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can't imagine it's designed for dealing with rain falling in so they definitely need to close it somehow
@Felonious Python this is where I'm at with it. I don't know if the Trop is even considered safe with the roof being open or if it can even handle being open. But there are a bunch of ballparks that can host Rays even if the plan was to be back in the Trop by like May; assuming the cost isn't extraordinary. Like Steinbrenner was a mere suggestion at most and I think the Rays would do something like that for a few months versus being on the road.

But if this is gonna be some crazy thing like $70 million, then I say just forget it. That money is better spent on the new park and work out a deal with an "A League" park

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
@Felonious Python this is where I'm at with it. I don't know if the Trop is even considered safe with the roof being open or if it can even handle being open. But there are a bunch of ballparks that can host Rays even if the plan was to be back in the Trop by like May; assuming the cost isn't extraordinary. Like Steinbrenner was a mere suggestion at most and I think the Rays would do something like that for a few months versus being on the road.

But if this is gonna be some crazy thing like $70 million, then I say just forget it. That money is better spent on the new park and work out a deal with an "A League" park
NBC News Can Tampa Bay Rays replace shredded stadium roof in time for next season?
It cost about $18 million at that time to repair the Minnesota Vikings' ceiling by July of the following year. Given inflation and the added cost of rushing to get Tropicana Field ready for Opening Day 2025, a straight replacement could potentially cost at least double the Metrodome bill.

Playing in a smaller stadium for a long time would be damaging. It's okay for the A's, as they're leaving Oakland.

I'm not saying they should play in a building that's not structurally sound, but if it's mostly an aesthetic thing, I don't see why a partial roof wouldn't be allowed.

The roof was made of fiberglass and cloth. The beams holding it all up are still there.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They can't play without a roof at the Trop. Even if everything is structurally sound, the arena was designed and built with no drainage system in place. They also need to assess how.much water damage and looding the rains caused. There's no way they'd play there without it being enclosed.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Steinbrenner would be great for building the fanbase on the Tampa side of the bay though. Would test the "won't cross a bridge" hypothesis.

I have a feeling the Yankees won't go for it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Steinbrenner would be great for building the fanbase on the Tampa side of the bay though. Would test the "won't cross a bridge" hypothesis.

I'd think the Yankees would go for it.

It'd be saying that the Yankees have the best stadium in an area full of them, and the Rays would be paying for upgrades to bring it closer to MLB standards.

Has any work started on the trop? They've got to do something soonish. The drainage problems aren't going anywhere.

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

They're lucky we didn't blow it up and build our new stadium there. Almost any agreement can be broken and the lease with Tampa is likely no exception

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad