Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXIII

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Im curious as to why the Bruins waived him and no one picked him up (Rugula). Not so much why the waivers but the fact every team in the league passed on him has me wondering if he ever gets back to the NHL. Is he just an AHL stud.

Edwards looks to bring an element every teams needs that can't be taught, the other stuff can be.

My money is on Edwards having a NHL career
Bruins waived Regula?
When did this happen?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm still trying to figure out when they signed him yesterday because I'm not seeing it. Not to mention I always get an email.
According to the article below ( and Cap Friendly) he was placed on waivers way back on October 3rd and cleared on the 4th.

Still on Prov roster as RFA with arbitration right.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Im curious as to why the Bruins waived him and no one picked him up (Rugula). Not so much why the waivers but the fact every team in the league passed on him has me wondering if he ever gets back to the NHL. Is he just an AHL stud.

Edwards looks to bring an element every teams needs that can't be taught, the other stuff can be.

My money is on Edwards having a NHL career
Defensive d-men who are steady in their own zone without being amazing offensively aren't really desired in today's NHL for whatever reason. Teams would rather play guys who have potential issues but can put up points and hope that they fix their game than play steady guys who don't make mistakes but also don't contribute as much offensively. Look at a guy like Troy Stecher or Scott Harrington who are the definition of this, they get passed around the league and don't see play over guys like Nurse or Broberg or any of the 10 billion players Harrington is better than defensively on the teams he's played on. Teams would rather take the occasional game losing mistake than play those guys.

Edwards isn't better offensively than Regula is, isn't better defensively than Regula is, and isn't even particularly more physical or nasty than Regula is. He also needs to work on his discipline a bit when he is nasty. All that to say that yeah he absolutely could have an NHL career and could work out better than Regula has, he just has a LOOOOOONG ways to go before he's NHL ready. At minimum he needs to improve his skating so he can get back to cover for his gaffe's and not get walked, and needs to improve his stickhandling or strength or puck protection or something because otherwise he's gonna get pickpocketed like crazy in the NHL and be giving up turnovers left and right. Simplifying his game will go a long way towards that though.

I'm still trying to figure out when they signed him yesterday because I'm not seeing it. Not to mention I always get an email.
It was on the mainboards yesterday along with Lysell and someone else. I thought it was recent as there was a thread up specifically about him. At the time I'm pretty sure it was stickied and I just didn't see that it was from last year, my bad.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Defensive d-men who are steady in their own zone without being amazing offensively aren't really desired in today's NHL for whatever reason. Teams would rather play guys who have potential issues but can put up points and hope that they fix their game than play steady guys who don't make mistakes but also don't contribute as much offensively. Look at a guy like Troy Stecher or Scott Harrington who are the definition of this, they get passed around the league and don't see play over guys like Nurse or Broberg or any of the 10 billion players Harrington is better than defensively on the teams he's played on. Teams would rather take the occasional game losing mistake than play those guys.

Edwards isn't better offensively than Regula is, isn't better defensively than Regula is, and isn't even particularly more physical or nasty than Regula is. He also needs to work on his discipline a bit when he is nasty. All that to say that yeah he absolutely could have an NHL career and could work out better than Regula has, he just has a LOOOOOONG ways to go before he's NHL ready. At minimum he needs to improve his skating so he can get back to cover for his gaffe's and not get walked, and needs to improve his stickhandling or strength or puck protection or something because otherwise he's gonna get pickpocketed like crazy in the NHL and be giving up turnovers left and right. Simplifying his game will go a long way towards that though.

It was on the mainboards yesterday along with Lysell and someone else. I thought it was recent as there was a thread up specifically about him. At the time I'm pretty sure it was stickied and I just didn't see that it was from last year, my bad.
Jackson Edward is 3 and a half years younger than Alec Regula.

Reactions: DominicT

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Jackson Edward is 3 and a half years younger than Alec Regula.
Yes, which is why he could definitely become better than Regula is now as Regula hasn't made a lot of progress offensively and is still the same player he was with the Knights for the most part.

But Edward is worse than Regula was at the same age and has a lot more to work on to even get to the point Regula was at in Juniors. By no means do I think it's impossible, it's just a fact that he has to work on those things to even get a shot in the NHL and have a chance.

In his draft year Regula put up 25 points vs Edwards 6.

In his Draft + 2 Regula put up 39 points to Edwards 25.

In his Draft + 3 Regula put up 60 points and 27 goals, good for 4th and 6th on the Knights that year and Edward put up 30 points.

Regula was drafted in the 3rd, Edward was drafted in the 7th.

Regula *still* hasn't seen consistent time in the NHL and his best year came on a lineup that had Stillman, Jones and CDH as defenseman which he still barely cracked.

Like, I'm rooting for the guy, but he has a long ways to go before NHL teams will put him in the lineup and play him for a full season. That isn't even a guarantee for Regula, who has shown a lot more offensive talent and instincts than Edward has and has never been a defensive liability.

Personally I would happily take Regula on the 3rd pair of most teams in the league as I value defense over offense from the back end and would prefer not to have my 3rd pair constantly cost me games or give up goals for no reason, but like I said previously NHL GM's don't seem to feel the same way.

I hope that Edward has a smooth transition to the AHL, gets plenty of minutes, and works on his game to the point where he achieves his peak potential. Buuuuut there's also just a distinct chance he has the same path Regula did and is a depth d-man in the AHL or steady in the ECHL or a Euro league. That's kind of how most 7th round picks turn out.

Not gonna hold my breath about it, but I've outlined already what he needs to do to achieve success and the only thing left is to wait and see if he does that. I hope he does.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Yes, which is why he could definitely become better than Regula is now as Regula hasn't made a lot of progress offensively and is still the same player he was with the Knights for the most part.

But Edward is worse than Regula was at the same age and has a lot more to work on to even get to the point Regula was at in Juniors. By no means do I think it's impossible, it's just a fact that he has to work on those things to even get a shot in the NHL and have a chance.

In his Draft + 3 Regula put up 60 points and 27 goals, good for 4th and 6th on the Knights that year and Edward put up 30 points.

Regula *still* hasn't seen consistent time in the NHL and his best year came on a lineup that had Stillman, Jones and CDH as defenseman which he still barely cracked.

Like, I'm rooting for the guy, but he has a long ways to go before NHL teams will put him in the lineup and play him for a full season. That isn't even a guarantee for Regula, who has shown a lot more offensive talent and instincts than Edward has and has never been a defensive liability.

Personally I would happily take Regula on the 3rd pair of most teams in the league as I value defense over offense from the back end and would prefer not to have my 3rd pair constantly cost me games or give up goals for no reason, but like I said previously NHL GM's don't seem to feel the same way.

I hope that Edward has a smooth transition to the AHL, gets plenty of minutes, and works on his game to the point where he achieves his peak potential. Buuuuut there's also just a distinct chance he has the same path Regula did and is a depth d-man in the AHL or steady in the ECHL or a Euro league. That's kind of how most 7th round picks turn out.

Not gonna hold my breath about it, but I've outlined already what he needs to do to achieve success and the only thing left is to wait and see if he does that. I hope he does.
Ya but we just love violence … :sarcasm:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Not going to lie, this is starting to feel like you’re actually Alec Regula.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Not going to lie, this is starting to feel like you’re actually Alec Regula.
God I wish, I'd take being a normal athletic dude who's made millions over my disabled poor trans ass any day.

I'm just an autistic as f*** London Knights fan who watches too much hockey and has too strong opinions about random ass prospects that has like no bearing on anything likely to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad