Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...urce=bostonherald&utm_medium=trending_stories

This story will send a shiver down your spine. Some of these names probably still keep Harry and Chia up at night. Poor Harry probably has to go use the bathroom at least three times anyways.

I'm still unsure whether Evgeny Ryabchikov ever really existed. In the 90's, they may have been getting phone reports of his performance from some dude named 'Peggy'.....

He existed, I remember he was signed the year he was drafted and attended camp. They had him, Blaine Laicher and Vincent Riendeau in camp. Luckily Laicher won the job and did okay for a few years. I also remember him being picked just off a good world junior showing.

He had some terrible numbers. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6952

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why do I feel if HFBoards were around in the 80s there would be a strong contingent of people whining because that Neely guy hasn't proven anything and Pederson is an "impact" player so this trade sucks?

Maybe we can just once consider the possibility of the future of the Hockey's Future board?? Please?? Looking at the positive development and using a little patience makes the Hamilton trade look like it could be awesome in the long run for a team in the midst of cap hell and realistically 3-5 years from being competitive. Now we are at 3 years and all three look like they could at least push for a slot.

i only had the hockey news to tell me about that trade... i guess i was around 13 at the time and i whined and whined because pederson was an impact stud and i hadnt noticed neely much in the few canuck games i watched

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I also said Pit model wasn't one to follow.
Chicago's one two punch is Kane-Toews, but that's not enough to win, how do they do without Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Byfuglien, etc? Those guys are huge asset. Some because they are still playing key role with the team, others because they were traded for asset, etc. Yes they drafted two key offensive player, but in those same time they draft a top d in the league and 3 others top pair d. Even with Kane and Toews they could do there big ufa signing with Hossa because they where allready set at d with the draft.

If you have a 7-10 guys base on a few drafts, you can add those guys to some of the guys that were allready there and you want to keep. You can sign one or two guy to play an important role, you can trade some of those guy for other need...

Of course, in those 7-10 guys you need high impact player to succed, if they're all 3rd liner 2nd pairing Dman at best you won't be able to sign or trade for your need in top player. But again, if you have those 2-3 top player and draft nothing arround, you won't be able to acquire them all to ufa or trade. Quality is big, but it's nothing without quantity.

the key to building a winning team has always been... do things right and hope for good luck too.

making some top picks helps but edmonton drafted hopkins, hall, yakupov... if you dont do it right you dont win.

the butch goring and ron francais trades are widely credited with helping islanders and penguins win their cups... the brett hull trade helped calgary... the jarome iginla trade helped dallas...but alot of trades dont lead to sucess

theres been ufa deals that played major role in helping teams win... chicago didn't win until they signed hossa... but not all ufa deals work

ultimately even when you do the right things you still dont win without luck. chicago lost more often than they won with toews and kane. pittsburg went years losing with Crosby and malkin

theres no magic gurantee of winning... but if you dont win you get fired. just being good isnt good enough. teams that get to the final 4 should think they did a good job but they dont... they fire everyone if they cant win. chiarelli got us to the final 2 twice in 5 years and they fired him

so... unfortunately no one will ever intentionally suck and stockpile picks cause they will have no guarantee of winning anyhow and will get fired long before the plan ever succeeds.

Beantown1616

Jul 14, 2016
I like the direction of the team and hope we don't go and trade Carlo for a forward. My view is that this guy is going to be one of the league's premier shutdown D in short order and that is far more valuable than a 50-point winger.

Also, re: losing Colin Miller, if you're cheering for the kids to potentially crack the lineup this helped those odds. C. Miller was actually a bigger blocker for the young kids than McQuaid/Killer. Say what you will about C. Miller's potential, but I see a lot of his skillset in the likes of Morrow, Lauzon, Zboril. Only O'Gara can bring the kind of game McQuaid/Killer do and none of these guys has their experience/toughness at this point.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I like the direction of the team and hope we don't go and trade Carlo for a forward. My view is that this guy is going to be one of the league's premier shutdown D in short order and that is far more valuable than a 50-point winger.

Also, re: losing Colin Miller, if you're cheering for the kids to potentially crack the lineup this helped those odds. C. Miller was actually a bigger blocker for the young kids than McQuaid/Killer. Say what you will about C. Miller's potential, but I see a lot of his skillset in the likes of Morrow, Lauzon, Zboril. Only O'Gara can bring the kind of game McQuaid/Killer do and none of these guys has their experience/toughness at this point.

And which RHD prospect was being held back by Colin Miller? You do realize that Morrow, Lauzon, Zboril and O'Gara are LHD?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
And which RHD prospect was being held back by Colin Miller? You do realize that Morrow, Lauzon, Zboril and O'Gara are LHD?

Beantown1616 is correct.

Protecting a guy like Kevan Miller allows the Bruins to slot in more offensively minded LHD sooner than later.

I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Zboril and Kevan Miller than I would with Zboril and Chiller.

Colin Miller is not an NHL defender unless he is paired with a defensive stalwart.

Hence - if the Bruins protected Chiller, they would not likely feel very confident giving any of those kids a chance as the bottom pairing LHD.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Beantown1616 is correct.

Protecting a guy like Kevan Miller allows the Bruins to slot in more offensively minded LHD sooner than later.

I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Zboril and Kevan Miller than I would with Zboril and Chiller.

Colin Miller is not an NHL defender unless he is paired with a defensive stalwart.

Hence - if the Bruins protected Chiller, they would not likely feel very confident giving any of those kids a chance as the bottom pairing LHD.

Ok, fair enough.

Beantown1616

Jul 14, 2016
Beantown1616 is correct.

A more articulate version of what I was getting at :D

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A more articulate version of what I was getting at :D

I'm confused here.

At RD they have: Carlo, Miller, McQuaid and McAvoy.

On LD they have: Chara, Krug and nothing except Morrow, Zboril, O'Gara, Grzelcyk, Lauzon.

I guess the plan is to put one of the RD guys at LD to start the season and leave Morrow or Cross as the 7th defenseman?

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm confused here.

At RD they have: Carlo, Miller, McQuaid and McAvoy.

On LD they have: Chara, Krug and nothing except Morrow, Zboril, O'Gara, Grzelcyk, Lauzon.

I guess the plan is to put one of the RD guys at LD to start the season and leave Morrow or Cross as the 7th defenseman?

Most likely. If there are no moves before the season starts I would guess they start like this, considering at how they organized the defense last year:

Chara - Carlo
Krug - McQuaid
Miller - McAvoy
Extra: Morrow

Those pairings wouldn't really be a first, second and third, rather they would rotate and get pretty much equal even strength time. And then special teams and playing the more trusted players during higher leverage situations would adjust the playing time to what would be more expected.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Most likely. If there are no moves before the season starts I would guess they start like this, considering at how they organized the defense last year:

Chara - Carlo
Krug - McQuaid
Miller - McAvoy

Those pairings wouldn't really be a first, second and third, rather they would rotate and get pretty much equal even strength time. And then special teams and playing the more trusted players during higher leverage situations would adjust the playing time to what would be more expected.

Miller can play the left side- he did it in a number of games this year, so that seems likely without any moves. Unless someone really impresses in camp like Carlo did last year.

Related to this, Morrow hasn't been qualified yet, correct? Is there any sense of whether he will be or not?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Chara - Carlo
Krug - McQuaid
Miller - McAvoy

I could also see.

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
O'Gara - Kevan

Extra: McQuaid

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not a chance that McQuaid is the extra D

Which RD does he bump to the press-box? I can see him and Kevan rotating a bit.

If Carlo and McAvoy play as expected McQuaid could see some time upstairs.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Not a chance that McQuaid is the extra D

I think there is a decent chance he is the extra D. Morrow played well against Ottawa. As long as he shows up in training camp, I can see Sweeny utilizing him to get a bit more skill and true L-R symmetry.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think there is a decent chance he is the extra D. Morrow played well against Ottawa. As long as he shows up in training camp, I can see Sweeny utilizing him to get a bit more skill and true L-R symmetry.

It really depends on what the coaching staff want to do.

We just saw a team win a cup with a righty (Schultz) and 5 lefties (Maatta, Hainsey, Daley, Cole, Dumoulin), so having a perfect LD-RD match probably isn't the be-all end-all either.

It is interesting to note that Kevan Miller started out this past season on his off-side LD, but later in the season they had switched places with Colin on the left and Kevan back on the right.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
It really depends on what the coaching staff want to do.

We just saw a team win a cup with a righty (Schultz) and 5 lefties (Maatta, Hainsey, Daley, Cole, Dumoulin), so having a perfect LD-RD match probably isn't the be-all end-all either.

It is interesting to note that Kevan Miller started out this past season on his off-side LD, but later in the season they had switched places with Colin on the left and Kevan back on the right.

I think if the Bruins move either K.Miller or McQuaid it will be K.Miller that will be moving on . This will only happen if the Bruins are able to obtain a top Four left D

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I think if the Bruins move either K.Miller or McQuaid it will be K.Miller that will be moving on . This will only happen if the Bruins are able to obtain a top Four left D

I think you're wrong about that. They just protected K.Miller over Mcquaid a couple days ago and Miller is better, younger, and cheaper.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think you're wrong about that. They just protected K.Miller over Mcquaid a couple days ago and Miller is better, younger, and cheaper.

The fact they protected Kevan over McQuaid (whose paid almost the same for slightly longer term) spells out clearly they value Kevan more than McQuaid.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Bruins defensemen under age 24:

Brandon Carlo
Cameron Clarke
Matt Grzelcyk
Emil Johansson
Jeremy Lauzon
Ryan Lindgren
Charlie McAvoy
Rob O'Gara
Wiley Sherman
Urso Vaakanainen
Jakub Zboril

So, so far away from where this organization was from a prospect standpoint five years ago.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
^^ How would the board rate these guys by handiness? For me:

LHD:
Urho
Lauzon
Zboril
Morrow
Lindgren
O'Gara
Sherman
Grzelyck