Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Perds - Save us L'Heureux you're our only hope edition - 10/22/24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
L'Heureux's game fits the bottom 6 alot more than either Pars or Toma. Style wise that makes alot of sense. Toma hasnt been bad but bruno isnt goin to wedge him into the top 6 and disrupt that.

Similarly, bruno really wants skjei and josi to be a pair. Doing that is going to push Fabbro out because he doesnt have size and grit like schenn and carrier meshes better with Lauzon. Hence we get Del G.

I hate some of the roster decisions but i can see some thought behind it.
I agree on the L’Heureux point if we’re committed to that McCarron/Smith grouping which definitely seems to be the case for Bruno. That being said McCarron and Smith were still our two worst players last night so I really wish he’d rethink it. Also, I don’t understand why Stamkos is consistently among the leaders in ES ice time given his deficiencies there. In any case, we will get the same lineup again next game so guess it doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I agree on the L’Heureux point if we’re committed to that McCarron/Smith grouping which definitely seems to be the case for Bruno. That being said McCarron and Smith were still our two worst players last night so I really wish he’d rethink it. Also, I don’t understand why Stamkos is consistently among the leaders in ES ice time given his deficiencies there. In any case, we will get the same lineup again next game so guess it doesn’t really matter.
They did balance out icetime better last night. I'm not sure if that's chicken and egg, being able to when playing with a lead instead of chasing from behind, but I was definitely hoping to see that happen. Bring down the minutes for some of the star veterans, level things out a bit better. Finally.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Actually forgot this was even on, so didn't watch what was apparently the best game of the season. Hopefully it's a kickstart to some better results.
Definitely was that. It wasn't perfect by any means, but this was the first game where what we saw felt like it was close to what we expected to see. Guys were creating chances, Saros was on his game, and the guys did a much better job of skating with the puck, moving it forward, and not turning it over. We also were much better on the forecheck.

2nd line still needs an answer at center, Sissons ain't it, but that's going to require Brunette to get out of his comfort zone. Trotz has already said that no one is trading right now so that is not really an option.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Definitely was that. It wasn't perfect by any means, but this was the first game where what we saw felt like it was close to what we expected to see. Guys were creating chances, Saros was on his game, and the guys did a much better job of skating with the puck, moving it forward, and not turning it over. We also were much better on the forecheck.

2nd line still needs an answer at center, Sissons ain't it, but that's going to require Brunette to get out of his comfort zone. Trotz has already said that no one is trading right now so that is not really an option.
Sissons is a good, reliable 4C and PKer. Not sure why the braintrust feels the need to make him into more than that. I would much rather see him stapled to the 4th line and he can fill in higher up if needs come up.

Relatedly, it seems to me McCarron has been awful early this year. Outside of the occasional fight I don't really even see him providing much grit lately, at least not in productive ways. So it would kind of kill 2 birds with one stone. Still have to solve the middle 6 center issue obviously.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Sissons is a good, reliable 4C and PKer. Not sure why the braintrust feels the need to make him into more than that. I would much rather see him stapled to the 4th line and he can fill in higher up if needs come up.

Relatedly, it seems to me McCarron has been awful early this year. Outside of the occasional fight I don't really even see him providing much grit lately, at least not in productive ways. So it would kind of kill 2 birds with one stone. Still have to solve the middle 6 center issue obviously.
I was in the middle of typing something along these lines and saw this pop up and completely agree. Sissons can produce really well as an auxiliary scorer but we've tried many times in his career to put him with skill guys and it ends up just cratering his production. I think a line of L'Heureux-Sissons-Smith could end up being the new iteration of the herd line. As you say we still have to find another center but why not try Parsinnen with Stamkos and Marchessault and see what happens. It would be hard to do any worse than the iterations of that line have performed to this point.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Eh Jankowski is ok on that line and he's better than some of the other guys we tried on that line last season (e.g. Sherwood, Smith, Glass), but I don't think he's that great. At least based on the limited returns from this season I thought the line with Tomasino instead of Jankowski looked just as good.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Eh Jankowski is ok on that line and he's better than some of the other guys we tried on that line last season (e.g. Sherwood, Smith, Glass), but I don't think he's that great. At least based on the limited returns from this season I thought the line with Tomasino instead of Jankowski looked just as good.
It might work in spurts but I feel like putting Tomasino or Parssinen there makes them a really easy line to play against and remove from the game. Soft perimeter play all around.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think you need some size and grit on that line, which is why I said that, however I'm all for working Tomasino in too but that makes that line physically weak.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It might work in spurts but I feel like putting Tomasino or Parssinen there makes them a really easy line to play against and remove from the game. Soft perimeter play all around.
I thought that was one of the good aspects of Parssinen was his ability to use his body and move guys around or did the narative on him suddenly change in the last 2 weeks?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think you need some size and grit on that line, which is why I said that, however I'm all for working Tomasino in too but that makes that line physically weak.
Jankowski is big but I've never really considered him a gritty or physical type of player though. I actually think the biggest benefit he brings to the other two is just that he is steady and makes the safe play which was really useful as they got used to the NHL. But I would hope we're past that point now and can try and add more offensive flash to that line to take it to the next level. Maybe that isn't Tomasino either but we could try Parsinnen too. Or maybe see what it looks like with Marchessault or Stamkos with that group. Ultimately I think Jankowski is fine in that position but I don't think he's necessary for them to be successful either.

Reactions: triggrman

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Jankowski is big but I've never really considered him a gritty or physical type of player though. I actually think the biggest benefit he brings to the other two is just that he is steady and makes the safe play which was really useful as they got used to the NHL. But I would hope we're past that point now and can try and add more offensive flash to that line to take it to the next level. Maybe that isn't Tomasino either but we could try Parsinnen too. Or maybe see what it looks like with Marchessault or Stamkos with that group. Ultimately I think Jankowski is fine in that position but I don't think he's necessary for them to be successful either.
Or heck throw ZLH on there and see what the kid does with guys with some offensive oomph. We are 1-5 why not try something that has some upside?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I could see a Novak - Pärssinen - Evangelista type of line working. It moves Novak to the wing which is a better spot for him and allows Pärssinen to get into the lineup. I don’t know what the hell you do with the 2nd line but it ain’t working now I tell ya.
Novak being the mucker on the line does make some sense. He is the slowest skater of those three and he passes well. The only problem that I see is his relatively low body weight as a Winger in the NHL.

Parsnip will be harder to move away from the goal. He also doesn't take any garbage from anybody. Somebody who crosschecks him is liable to get a punch in the mouth! Maybe several punches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad