Value of: Bruins Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Comtois and a 2nd for DeBrusk.
I would do that

I would be okay with
Jones or comtois + 2nd.

I know you watched a fair bit of Bruins games so you know how good Debrusk is and I politely say . . . get away from him!! He's my boy!

Well there’s a reason I want him, he’s been my favorite bruin(outside of hampus)…. And I’m hoping he can be a buy cheaper option for Anaheim(maybe wishful thinking on my part)

He would look fantastic on zegras wing.

Reactions: SPV

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Why take a step back for one year when you can take a step back for five!
They take a step back next year and then where is the step forward coming from exactly?

They have no cap, no picks, no prospects. Where are they finding a number 1 centre and where are they finding a number 2 centre? And where are they finding the cap for them? Their top 2 centres made like 5 million combined last season. That's half of what a top centre usually costs.

Oh, and Marchand (integral part of their core) seems to be primed for a steep decline if you look at the second half of this year so add another elite winger to the list of things they need to replace.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
They take a step back next year and then where is the step forward coming from exactly?

They have no cap, no picks, no prospects. Where are they finding a number 1 centre and where are they finding a number 2 centre? And where are they finding the cap for them? Their top 2 centres made like 5 million combined last season. That's half of what a top centre usually costs.

Oh, and Marchand (integral part of their core) seems to be primed for a steep decline if you look at the second half of this year so add another elite winger to the list of things they need to replace.
They currently have $29M in projected cap space for '24-'25 with 9 players signed. Next year is gonna be tight but after that they'll have plenty of space. Now whether there will be any #1 centers available is another story but affording one won't be an issue after next season.

As for the #2 center, they have already said it is Zacha's spot to lose after he played well centering the Pastrnak line while Krejci was hurt.

Reactions: wintersej

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I would do that

I would be okay with
Jones or comtois + 2nd.

Well there’s a reason I want him, he’s been my favorite bruin(outside of hampus)…. And I’m hoping he can be a buy cheaper option for Anaheim(maybe wishful thinking on my part)

Debrusk was 4th in the league in 5v5 goals/60 (min. 10 goals) behind McCann, Pastrnak, & Caufield (one spot ahead of McDavid). He's a bargain at $4M for next season. He'd easily get a 1st rounder as a rental next deadline. No reason for the Bruins to accept less than that in the offseason. Neither Jones nor Comtois move the needle enough to accept a 2nd for him.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I would do that

I would be okay with
Jones or comtois + 2nd.

Well he's one of my favorite Bruins too probably behind Bergeron and Marchand. And IF he were to ever be traded or leave for a different team, I would definitely like to see him next to Zegras.

Honestly I don't expect Debrusk to be a lifelong Bruin. He'd be the first player I'd buy a jersey of another team for unless he went to Toronto or Montreal or something.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The Leafs won’t have any top 4D under 30 next year and don’t have a #1D. They should trade Matthews.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
The Leafs won’t have any top 4D under 30 next year and don’t have a #1D. They should trade Matthews.
Why are you so defensive? The Leafs aren't losing their top 2 centers. No other team makes sense as a comparable unless they face that same issue.

This is a thread about the Bruins.

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
It may be misplaced confidence but I think the bruins will have that true #1 center signed to a good contract in the next 2 seasons. Next season may be rough but if they can cut some dead weight and add some snarl they will be fun to watch.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I think there's a chance #37 comes back for one more, but if the Bruins decide to trade Marchand I think that would be enough to sway his choice towards retirement. I believe Krejci will retire either way. Not having either of them would convince Bergeron to retire as well. Should be an interesting summer

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
If I'm the B's, no way I move DeBrusk unless someone moves significant draft/prospect capital for him... or his UFA ask is in excess of $7m annually. His game has evolved too well to use him as their dump.

Some of the offers being put forth for him are ludicrous. I'd rather pay several picks to get rid of our less desirable D (Forbort, etc.) than get robbed by shipping him out for 2nds and 3rds.

Reactions: BronxBruin

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
No, they are going to do what they did when they retooled from 2014-2016. They are going to sell off non-core pieces for picks (like they did with Lucic and Hamilton) and build around Pasta, McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo and Swayman and look to get back in the mix in a couple of seasons.

This. I wish ‘em nothing but failure, but those are good parts for a retool.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why are you so defensive? The Leafs aren't losing their top 2 centers. No other team makes sense as a comparable unless they face that same issue.

This is a thread about the Bruins.

Zacha is the Krejci replacement. He is a natural center and outscored Krejci at 5 on 5 this year playing on the wing. Do they have a young #1C in reserve? Nope. But once they get their cap sorted it’s attractive spot. Them being 90% of the way there and then tearing it all down is silly.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Zacha is the Krejci replacement. He is a natural center and outscored Krejci at 5 on 5 this year playing on the wing. Do they have a young #1C in reserve? Nope. But once they get their cap sorted it’s attractive spot. Them being 90% of the way there and then tearing it all down is silly.
Yes it seems Boston is a desirable destination

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It may be misplaced confidence but I think the bruins will have that true #1 center signed to a good contract in the next 2 seasons. Next season may be rough but if they can cut some dead weight and add some snarl they will be fun to watch.
The only way they get a #1 C signed to a good contract is to draft in the top 5.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why take a step back for one year when you can take a step back for five!
I am sure Jacobs would love no playoff money for 5 years and the fans accepting ticket prices going up every year for a non playoff team ........not happening they should have looked for a center last year even if it meant telling Krecji not to come back........

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I posted a PLD to Bruins thread about 10 days ago. I will repost a modified version here:

:bruins

PLD (50% retained on 1-year RFA; extension post Jan 1)

:jets

Swayman
Lysell

Why Boston does this:

Boston is in desperate need of top 6 centers. Dubois plays a playoff style game that should help them get over this season’s disappointment. Swayman is an RFA goalie and his arbitration contract would be a luxury that Boston cannot afford.

The best way to handle this for Boston is to have Dubois signed a 1 year contract with the Jets (say for $7M), Jets retain 50% (thus, $3.5M AAV to the Bruins), which helps with the Bruins salary cap crunch for next season. Bruins extend Dubois post-Dec 31 to the more lucrative long-term contract.

Why Winnipeg does this:

Hellebuyck wants to win a Stanley Cup and the Jets really should be retooling/rebuilding. Hellebuyck should be moved in a separate transaction. Swayman has played well for the Bruins and can take over the nets for the Jets. He’s also just 24.

Lysell is a promising 19 year old RW (first round pick from 2021). Jets need to build for the future.

This is similar to the Trouba trade compensation (roster player and a 1st, but in this case, the first is a former 1st round draft pick Lysell).

Why Dubois does this:

We have all heard Dubois wants to play for Montreal but recent news reports said he was not limiting himself to the Habs. Why not play for the President’s Cup champions in an original six team? If Montreal does not want to pony up, Dubois can get his revenge on the Habs for several games a year being in the same division,

Reactions: bbfan419

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I posted a PLD to Bruins thread about 10 days ago. I will repost a modified version here:

:bruins

PLD (50% retained on 1-year RFA; extension post Jan 1)

:jets

Swayman
Lysell

Why Boston does this:

Boston is in desperate need of top 6 centers. Dubois plays a playoff style game that should help them get over this season’s disappointment. Swayman is an RFA goalie and his arbitration contract would be a luxury that Boston cannot afford.

The best way to handle this for Boston is to have Dubois signed a 1 year contract with the Jets (say for $7M), Jets retain 50% (thus, $3.5M AAV to the Bruins), which helps with the Bruins salary cap crunch for next season. Bruins extend Dubois post-Dec 31 to the more lucrative long-term contract.

Why Winnipeg does this:

Hellebuyck wants to win a Stanley Cup and the Jets really should be retooling/rebuilding. Hellebuyck should be moved in a separate transaction. Swayman has played well for the Bruins and can take over the nets for the Jets. He’s also just 24.

Lysell is a promising 19 year old RW (first round pick from 2021). Jets need to build for the future.

This is similar to the Trouba trade compensation (roster player and a 1st, but in this case, the first is a former 1st round draft pick Lysell).

Why Dubois does this:

We have all heard Dubois wants to play for Montreal but recent news reports said he was not limiting himself to the Habs. Why not play for the President’s Cup champions in an original six team? If Montreal does not want to pony up, Dubois can get his revenge on the Habs for several games a year being in the same division,
Even if Lysell was ready for next jump you cannot give up two of lower end contracts when you are already in cap hell, it would have to be Ullmark and a contract . I am not disagreeing with what you are saying about DuBois ability , Have always thought he would look good in Boston and I don't really give shit about the Montreal bullshit..............

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I mean Pasta and McAvoy were far far more important than Bergeron to the current iteration of the team that won 65 games. Pasta was only one point behind McDavid in 5 on 5 points. Bergeron was one point behind Kevin Hayes. Bergeron is still elite defensively and has a nice shot off the bumper on the PP, but his offensive impact at 5 on 5 is closer to a third liner now (heck, he was outscored at 5 on 5 by 3rd line center Charlie Coyle this last season).

Except they went up 3-1 in the series without those two and faltered when they came back. People seriously overestimate the impact losing those two will have.

The Bruins are too good to tank. The defense and goaltending alone will keep them in the playoff hunt, and they have a now 60-goal scorer in Pasta, who played some of his best hockey with Zacha as his center, to drive the offense.

They're going to do everything in their power to keep both goalies. Swayman is clearly the better long term option, and likely will sign a 2-year bridge deal at a decent cap hit to play with his best bud Ullmark until Ullmark's contract is up and Swayman can sign the big 8-year, fulltime starter salary pay day.

They'll trim the fat off the blueline, give some kids from Providence full time roles and fill out the roster with a couple league minimum vets. Lauko will be ready for a full time spot, and they'll probably give Lysell a shot because why not. Beecher may get a crack at 4C.

They won't set another wins record but you can subtract two 35+ players from a 65 win team and still expect 50 wins.

Love that we are in the stage of Bruins cope where they've decided that Bergeron is actually completely replaceable and wasn't that important to their success at all. I'm sure that attitude carries through to the Selke discussion and it DEFINITELY will be the rhetoric they use if he decides to come back for another go at it.

My favourite argument though is the bolded. OP decides that losing with Bergeron/Krecji means that they are overestimated and replaceable... but then his very next statement is that they are too good to rebuild? I guess the rest of the team that will be back next year DIDN'T choke away the series, otherwise they'd be overestimated and replaceable too. Luckily its just the guys they think are leaving that are to blame...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Even if Lysell was ready for next jump you cannot give up two of lower end contracts when you are already in cap hell, it would have to be Ullmark and a contract . I am not disagreeing with what you are saying about DuBois ability , Have always thought he would look good in Boston and I don't really give shit about the Montreal bullshit..............

The way I structured the deal, Dubois would add $3.5M net year, less $2.5M savings if Bergeron retires (net $1M cost).

Is Swayman really going to be a lower cost contract? If you’re just doing a 1 year contract (arbitration eligible), isn’t his AAV going up to $3 to $3.5M AAV? Sure, it’s better cap savings to trade Ullmark instead but he has a 16 team NTC and the Jets are likely on it plus Ullmark would be a less desirable for the Jets (deal breaker).

The deal I proposed is pretty much cap neutral.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The way I structured the deal, Dubois would add $3.5M net year, less $2.5M savings if Bergeron retires (net $1M cost).

Is Swayman really going to be a lower cost contract? If you’re just doing a 1 year contract (arbitration eligible), isn’t his AAV going up to $3 to $3.5M AAV? Sure, it’s better cap savings to trade Ullmark instead but he has a 16 team NTC and the Jets are likely on it plus Ullmark would be a less desirable for the Jets (deal breaker).

The deal I proposed is pretty much cap neutral.
Even if Swayman is not lower than Ullmark you need to move Ullmark because his next contract will be higher than the 5 mil he gets now and he is older than Sway . What you are saying is fine for next being cap neutral but the following year is going to be a issue with DeBrusk being a FA not to mention Gryz and Forbort even if they are resigned you still need to replace them........

Reactions: bbfan419

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Last time they had a cup-winning core and one of the all time greatest players in Bergeron. Now they have just a bunch of good players, so it will be slightly different... I'm not saying they can't retool and be a playoff team, but I'm merely pointing out that their cup chances and playoff experience slip further and further away.

I don't think Boston is that far off from being a contender again. Really, all they need is another 1C who can be the defensive conscious to their two star wingers, and to me the perfect fit is Elias Lindholm. He would fit in so, so well with how the Bs play and he's still young enough to give value for most of a 7- or 8-year contract. If I were Sweeney, I'd be trading anything not nailed down for 2024 picks to build an undeniably strong package for next year's deadline with the thought that Calgary is headed for another rough season even under a new coach.

I think it was Button who once said that the following year's picks never have less value than on the draft floor the season before; with that in mind, DeBrusk is easily worth a '24 1st this summer, one of Ullmark/Swayman will get them back a 2nd+, then one of Grizz/Forbort should net a 3rd+. I'd target forward prospects as pluses in those trades to bolster the pipeline, because right now it is a little thin and they are the engine that will keep BOS going post-Marchand/Bergy/Krejci.

Anyway, I'd sit on those picks, then offer CGY a '24 1st + 2nd + 3rd for Lindholm next April and give him whatever he could reasonably ask on a long-term deal. I'd personally go as high as $9.5M- with the cap looking to shoot upward in the summer of 2024 on the back of deferred revenue, IMO that will soon be the going rate for 1Cs under 30.

Boston then rolls into 2024-25 and beyond with this roster:

Marchand-E. Lindholm-Pasta
Hall-Zacha-Lysell
Merkulov-Coyle-Frederic

H. Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo

Ullmark/Swayman

That is an incredibly strong roster all things considered, and doesn't require incredible or unfathomable leaps in development from any of their prospects. It also retains the identity Boston has built in the Perfection Line era, and would be a handful for as long as Toronto and Tampa can keep their cores together- which is about all you can ask for in today's league given the parity and unpredictability.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Even if Swayman is not lower than Ullmark you need to move Ullmark because his next contract will be higher than the 5 mil he gets now and he is older than Sway . What you are saying is fine for next being cap neutral but the following year is going to be a issue with DeBrusk being a FA not to mention Gryz and Forbort even if they are resigned you still need to replace them........
Well, the Bruins need to invest in top 6 centers and they are not cheap to acquire nor is their AAV cheap. Up to the Bruins to reallocate how they spend their money. Maybe it doesn’t make sense for the Bruins to have 5 defencemen each making $3M+.

You can stick Dubois in for next year but beyond that… yeah, Bruins have a few salary cap decisions to make.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Trade Hall,sign Bertuzzi,trade 2of 3 defensemen either Grezlyk,Carlo,Forbort ,Reilly,sign Orlov,don t resign Folino, sign Hathaway,trade Ullmark and Marchand and get the best center available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad