Value of: Bruins Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Another team which a lot of folks will be watching closely as to what they decide to do for next season.

The most logical thing now for them is to rebuild and tear it down. It’s over now. Canucks in 2012 refused to rebuild and it’s gotten us to the point of where we are now 11 years later.

Bergeron/Krejci are going to retire. Marchand is a shell of his former self, and they cannot afford to re sign the likes of Bertuzzi and Orlov.

This would include trading McAvoy and Pastrnak as by the time Bruins are ready to compete for the cup they will be well into their 30’s. Pastrnak turns 27 in a couple of weeks, McAvoy turns 26.

If the Bruins don’t do this properly, they’ll be stuck in no man’s land for the next 10 years. Pastrnak, Ullmark, McAvoy, Carlo, Frederic, etc will fetch an incredible return that can kickstart that rebuild.

• Wow
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see why they wouldn't be a very good team next year and make another cup run. They probably won't be cup favorites again but there are a lot of good players on this team. I don't think there should be any kind of sell off.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't see why they wouldn't be a very good team next year and make another cup run. They probably won't be cup favorites again but there are a lot of good players on this team. I don't think there should be any kind of sell off.
A lot of next year for the probably depends on what Bergeron and Krejci decide. To go from that to anything else they could realistically come up with will be a downgrade even if they do pull off something like Dubois. Id predict playoffs but not a legitimate Cup threat

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

If Bergeron and Krejci are done they're done.

They don't have any good Centers at that point and have some crazy high bonus carryover for next year.

It would actually be a good year to start a retool. Sell off one of the goalies, a couple of other non core pieces, grab some draft capital and tank the season. Pick high and grab a guy who will likely be ready to make an impact by 2025.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
They will have to create some capspace if the want to keep Swayman.

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
No, they are going to do what they did when they retooled from 2014-2016. They are going to sell off non-core pieces for picks (like they did with Lucic and Hamilton) and build around Pasta, McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo and Swayman and look to get back in the mix in a couple of seasons.

Last time they had a cup-winning core and one of the all time greatest players in Bergeron. Now they have just a bunch of good players, so it will be slightly different... I'm not saying they can't retool and be a playoff team, but I'm merely pointing out that their cup chances and playoff experience slip further and further away.

Reactions: Coffees

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Last time they had a cup-winning core and one of the all time greatest players in Bergeron. Now they have just a bunch of good players, so it will be slightly different... I'm not saying they can't retool and be a playoff team, but I'm merely pointing out that their cup chances and playoff experience slip further and further away.

I mean Pasta and McAvoy were far far more important than Bergeron to the current iteration of the team that won 65 games. Pasta was only one point behind McDavid in 5 on 5 points. Bergeron was one point behind Kevin Hayes. Bergeron is still elite defensively and has a nice shot off the bumper on the PP, but his offensive impact at 5 on 5 is closer to a third liner now (heck, he was outscored at 5 on 5 by 3rd line center Charlie Coyle this last season).

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
I mean Pasta and McAvoy were far far more important than Bergeron to the current iteration of the team that won 65 games. Pasta was only one point behind McDavid in 5 on 5 points. Bergeron was one point behind Kevin Hayes. Bergeron is still elite defensively and has a nice shot off the bumper on the PP, but his offensive impact at 5 on 5 is closer to a third liner now (heck, he was outscored at 5 on 5 by 3rd line center Charlie Coyle this last season).

Winning needs both offence and defence, and I doubt one can correctly assume Bergeron's ans Krejci's impact on and off the ice purely from their point production. And, as we have seen, 65 regular season wins mean nothing come playoff time. Right now it seems that Boston will be rich man's Minnesota with one superstar winger (with nothing proved in terms of individual awards or Stanley cups), medicore centers and a solid defence.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Winning needs both offence and defence, and I doubt one can correctly assume Bergeron's ans Krejci's impact on and off the ice purely from their point production. And, as we have seen, 65 regular season wins mean nothing come playoff time. Right now it seems that Boston will be rich man's Minnesota with one superstar winger (with nothing proved in terms of individual awards or Stanley cups), medicore centers and a solid defence.

Yes that’s exactly what they will be. And they will be an attractive landing spot for the next centers that become available. The alternative is to blow it up and not have any of those things which makes no sense at all unless you want to SIM five years.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I think the best move is to unload some non core players like Hall, Ullmark, Debrusk (unfortunately), Gryz for picks and cap space and even take calls on Lindholm for a center of equal value. Let some of the new guys come up and give it a shot and hopefully they can get some cap space cushion to go after any big name centers that come up in the next few years in ufa. One thing is certain though, it seems they expected Bergy and DK to live forever because the B’s haven’t developed a single top 6 center from the draft since Seguin.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Need to find a #1C regardless of Bergeron returning or not. He can't be expected to play another season as a #1C and the team would be smart to manage his workload from the get-go.

I'd move anyone not named Pasta, McAvoy and Marchand for a #1C.

Also, time to see if some of our prospects have what it takes. Lysell, Lohrei, Merkulov, Beecher - bring them up or send them packing.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Would consider a deal for Swayman to the habs for futures
You should not be moving Swayman need to move Ullmark , my reason is Sway is younger and cheaper . Sorry cold hard facts this team is in need of cap space Sway is getting a raise and Ullmark value will never be higher.....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a repost from the Bruins board:

A true Cup contender usually has the following pieces:

A high end #1C
A very good #2C
A high end #1D
A high end #2D
A high end winger
Another good first line winger
A top tier goalie
Some scoring depth sprinkled into the bottom six
Top special teams

Right now you can say that the Bruins have all the boxes checked except for the high end C, and that really is the case whether Bergeron is back or not. While Bergeron has maintained his elite defensive status, he is a guy getting outscored by Kevin Hayes and Charlie Coyle at 5 on 5 play. He isn’t what he was.

Tearing it down and starting over would be dumb. They are so close.

But getting a high end #1C without bottoming out is very very hard.

Tough spot.

I think what is likely to happen is that over the next 24 months we see them add a Horvat/PLD/etc quality C and put themselves in that low end contender that could pull it off if everything goes right area. That area where they are going to be good enough to get a round or two of playoff revenue in on a consistent basis and good enough for us to all convince ourselves it could happen, but where it probably won’t.

Which is probably better than blowing it all up and sucking for 5-10 years and maybe having a failed rebuild and having it drag on longer.

But also feels all too familiar to what the Bruins have been the last 50 years outside of the dark times of the late 90s and the few “go for it” years in the Bergeron era.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If Bergeron and Krejci are done they're done.

They don't have any good Centers at that point and have some crazy high bonus carryover for next year.

It would actually be a good year to start a retool. Sell off one of the goalies, a couple of other non core pieces, grab some draft capital and tank the season. Pick high and grab a guy who will likely be ready to make an impact by 2025.
I've learned may lessons. As a Bruins fan, predicting their demise has been one of them.

They're not going to be out of the mix or "done"

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I've learned may lessons. As a Bruins fan, predicting their demise has been one of them.

They're not going to be out of the mix or "done"

Oh I think them taking a step back for a season and then coming back strong when the cap works out is on the table. Taking a step back in the way they did around 2015 where they were a contender for the playoffs but not more than that…and then when the cap is sorted making a move for a mediocre number 1C.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Oh I think them taking a step back for a season and then coming back strong when the cap works out is on the table. Taking a step back in the way they did around 2015 where they were a contender for the playoffs but not more than that…and then when the cap is sorted making a move for a mediocre number 1C.
They'll take a step back for sure, however, I don't think they'll be "done"

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If the Jets are going restructure at the min this summer and potentially a full rebuild have to imagine Jets might have some pieces Boston could use and prevent teams around them from getting at the same time.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
The logic…

So.. Draisaitl will be 28 soon, and McDavid 27 during next season. If they dont win it now and here maybe its time to sell them out and rebuild since they will be like 30 soon.

Pasta is top10 player in the game in his pirme. They have solid and youngish defence, good enough goalkeeping and good enough depth scoring. They just won 65 games in regular season. And so now they have a hole, so just blow it up? Instead of trying to fill it?

None of the teams left in the playoffs has Bergeron or Krejci, and most of those teams have ending contracts and cap crunches. Maybe they should all just rebuild.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Boston does not even own their own 1st next year. No matter what they sell off, they’re going to have a difficult time finishing bottom 10 to keep the pick

Reactions: bbfan419

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Yea, not following that logic.

Retool. Maybe next year could be a low due to cap constraints, but you build around Pasta and McAvoy.

Besides, Pasta has a NMC for the life of his deal. McAvoy doesn't for next year, but then for the rest of his deal he does.
Wouldn't make sense to move one and not the other, unless some team drastically over pays for McAvoy.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Consider trading anyone but Swayman ,Mcavoy and Pasta.What do you have to lose.See what is out there!This 65 win team does have some talent.

Reactions: Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad