Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Is this the thread where they fix the defense?

:sarcasm:
Hopefully.
via Kirk: https://scoutingpost.com/2016/08/28/oil-change-benning-to-edmonton-other-musings/
Being told by a solid (non-Bruins) source that he believes that Boston is quietly working on a trade for a defenseman, but no details are forthcoming. If you haven’t already, you can read my post about the Boston D- the elephant in the room for thoughts on possible targets.

In the same article, he also says he wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins give a veteran forward a camp invite.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Hopefully.
via Kirk: https://scoutingpost.com/2016/08/28/oil-change-benning-to-edmonton-other-musings/

In the same article, he also says he wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins give a veteran forward a camp invite.

The front office needs to pretend that goaltending and offense don't exist for the next month and just worry about the defense. This is two straight offseasons where everyone has known there's a huge problem on defense and there's been next to no public acknowledgement as such from the front office.

I get the theoretical conclusion that a veteran forward on a tryout may get more out of the younger guys vying for a spot, but I really don't see the need. Work on the defense and you have a more than decent team, here.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Interesting. You have to figure they're going to do something. Nice note on McAvoy too. Don't know why they wouldn't bring someone like Jared Cowen in for a training camp invite. Has he signed yet?

As of now he can't sign. He/the NHLPA are fighting the TOR buyout and it's going to an arbitrator. If the arbitrator upholds TOR's buyout then he can negotiate with who he wants, but won't get nearly the contract that he had.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I'll predict Shawn Horcoff as the invitee. And Clode immediately falls in love, happily ever after.

Edit: A guy I would love to see the Bruins invite on a PTO would be Dan Boyle, though I believe he is leaning towards retirement.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I'll predict Shawn Horcoff as the invitee. And Clode immediately falls in love, happily ever after.

Edit: A guy I would love to see the Bruins invite on a PTO would be Dan Boyle, though I believe he is leaning towards retirement.

My guess is if they do in fact give out a PTO I believe it will be Alex Tanguey

catsmasher

Mar 8, 2012
So this train wreck of a front office was only able to acquire backes (love the player) to a long-term / overpriced contract... While doing nothing to upgrade the defense other than buying out seids... #epicfail.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
do people think Seidenberg gets an NHL contract this year?

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a PTO, even if it's from an old friend like Benning or Chiarelli. He seems like the type of D the Kings go for so maybe he gets a PTO there.

If he doesn't get a PTO than it's a sign how far he's fallen.

Will he get a contract? Hard to say.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is Seidenberg even looking for a contract at this point? Maybe he is willing to head home to Germany, and either play there for a year or even just call it a career

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
We all know how this plays out in the back end if nothing changes. Chara, Krug, Liles, K. Miller, McQuaid have 5 spots locked up. All five are NHL calibre d-men with value but as a group they are not good enough to get this team into the playoffs. C. Miller, Morrow, O'Gara and maybe Carlo get a sniff for one empty spot. None of the 5 regulars are losing their job to anybody. Sweeney needs to move at least one, preferably two out. If not, C. Miller, Morrow, O'Gara will spin their wheels confidence wise and time on ice wise and it'll be another year of frustration (Miller,Morrow) and very little development. Eventually they'll be deemed not good enough and lost to waivers or let go at the end of the year.

K. Miller or McQuaid need to be a part of a deal to acquire a better D'man and also another D should be moved as well. (Anybody not named Krug I guess) So what if it's a step back for this year at least you can actually get a feel for which young D-men can cut it in the NHL and which can't. Starting 2017 season we'll have another 2-3 D-men looking for a job so weeding out the old and slow should really start this season.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Draft picks are the lifeblood of an organization.

Absolutely never would I do a max offer sheet.

I chalk Sweeney's rhetoric up to GM speak. He's not going to say they'll be passive and patient when they're trying to get people to buy tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad