News Article: Bruins Front Office Confidence Rank

Babajingo

They've had the luxury of being in the Atlantic division. Playing Buff, Ott Mtl, Det and until recently Fla multiple times a year, helps alot. Basically, starting in 2017 its been BOS, TB, TOR then garbage.
Makes it easy to make the playoffs when you've inherited Bergeron, Krecji, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, Rask and you only have to worry about TB and TOR

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They've had the luxury of being in the Atlantic division. Playing Buff, Ott Mtl, Det and until recently Fla multiple times a year, helps alot. Basically, starting in 2017 its been BOS, TB, TOR then garbage.
Makes it easy to make the playoffs when you've inherited Bergeron, Krecji, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, Rask and you only have to worry about TB and TOR
Conveniently leaving out the Panthers who have been top tier for 4 of those 7 years including a Presidents Trophy, a Cup Final, and a Cup win.

Reactions: GoBs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
History would indicate that's correct. But I'd argue that in the vast majority of cases they probably should have one. With very rare exceptions, people in those sorts of senior roles tend to grow stale eventually.

It's a balancing act. Coaches IMO get turfed too quickly in modern sport, especially in America. GMs tend to get a little more leeway, for obvious reasons. Whether it's sometimes too much is debatable. The Bruins are typically conservative in this regard, for better or worse.

I think coaches have a lot more stressful job than GMs. Hence, they don't last as long.

There have been some really long-term GMs. Maybe after 10 or 15 years no other GMs want to deal with them anymore. The game itself changes and the long time GM doesn't keep up or can't change his thinking. Or he's just tired of it all.

So yes, they probably do have an expiration date. But its much higher than for coaches.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I can never forgive them for the 2015 draft

I think about it every day

When people honk at me because I don’t go thru stop lights turning green, it’s not because of I’m reading or doing a text. I’m thinking about the 2015 draft

It haunts me

Please don't

Look at the positives of life. Sweeney fleeced Ottawa, got a future vezina in Korpisalo for free and he will be with us for the next four years

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I can never forgive them for the 2015 draft

I think about it every day

When people honk at me because I don’t go thru stop lights turning green, it’s not because of I’m reading or doing a text. I’m thinking about the 2015 draft

It haunts me
1723126571031.png

Reactions: DKH

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
25 GMs have tenures of 5 or less years.

How long were the GM's before them there?

Take the Caps. Current GM was hired last month. Before that Brian MacLellan was there for 10 years. Before him George McPhee was there for 17 years. Before him David Poile was there for 15 years.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What makes you think Larmer or Tocchet were available? Why would Chicago or Philly give up players like that in their prime to anyone, let alone Boston? I'm quite sure Sinden absolutely would have done it if he could have gotten any player of that caliber. But they most likely were not available and even if they were they weren't going to free.

The 1990 Bruins had the best record in the regular season. They went to the finals for the second time in 3 years. So I guess Sinden screwed up if he was supposed to keep the team just good enough to make the playoffs.
They desperately needed more offensive firepower. Their playoff success was due to keeping things tight defensively. During the 90’ playoffs they allowed less goals than the Oilers, but the Oilers had scored close to 40 goals more than the Bruins.

What makes you think players weren’t available? Some notable players whom were traded that season, along with their point totals for 89-90 season:

Michel Goulet (50 Pts in 65 games)
Peter Statsny (73 Pts in 74 games)
Bernie Nicholls (112 Pts in 79 games)
Mike Gartner (86 Pts in 79 games)

I’d argue either of the above would’ve boosted the Bruins offense. Sinden DID add Brian Propp, whom was having a down year in PHI (28 Pts in 40 games). He also added Steve Dykstra.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How long were the GM's before them there?

Take the Caps. Current GM was hired last month. Before that Brian MacLellan was there for 10 years. Before him George McPhee was there for 17 years. Before him David Poile was there for 15 years.

Not sure, but I know neither of us are going back and looking at each team.

However using the Bruins and Capitals as a barometer. Chiarelli was fired after 9 years with a cup.

McClellan is actually the most likely scenario for what will happen to Sweeney where they create a new internal position and transition him to that. But they forced MacClellan out of the GM role after 10 years and a cup win.

Time is ticking for Sweeney.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They desperately needed more offensive firepower. Their playoff success was due to keeping things tight defensively. During the 90’ playoffs they allowed less goals than the Oilers, but the Oilers had scored close to 40 goals more than the Bruins.

What makes you think players weren’t available? Some notable players whom were traded that season, along with their point totals for 89-90 season:

Michel Goulet (50 Pts in 65 games)
Peter Statsny (73 Pts in 74 games)
Bernie Nicholls (112 Pts in 79 games)
Mike Gartner (86 Pts in 79 games)

I’d argue either of the above would’ve boosted the Bruins offense. Sinden DID add Brian Propp, whom was having a down year in PHI (28 Pts in 40 games). He also added Steve Dykstra.

So what are the Bruins giving up to get any of those players?

Not sure, but I know neither of us are going back and looking at each team.

However using the Bruins and Capitals as a barometer. Chiarelli was fired after 9 years with a cup.

McClellan is actually the most likely scenario for what will happen to Sweeney where they create a new internal position and transition him to that. But they forced MacClellan out of the GM role after 10 years and a cup win.

Time is ticking for Sweeney.

Got that right!

Reactions: UncleRico

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Please don't

Look at the positives of life. Sweeney fleeced Ottawa, got a future vezina in Korpisalo for free and he will be with us for the next four years
I live in the past and I despise joy but thankfully I have the Bruins hockey albums

Goal Bruins 1970
Avengers 1972

my life would have been so much better if Donny had taken the good Sebastian Aho at 15

He cost me multiple parades

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I live in the past and I despise joy but thankfully I have the Bruins hockey albums

Goal Bruins 1970
Avengers 1972

my life would have been so much better if Donny had taken the good Sebastian Aho at 15

He cost me multiple parades

Imagine the horror if Timmy T wouldnt have stood on his head in 2011. 52 years with no cup, at least the Bruins got 1 in 52. Still we could celebrate the record breaking regular season record Donny brought to us or that the Bruins makes the playoffs every year. Why isnt everyone happy with this?! Spoiled brats ...

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Please don't

Yea but watch leternaeu be the next tage and all is forgiven. Who knows. Let's see.

Imagine the horror if Timmy T wouldnt have stood on his head in 2011. 52 years with no cup, at least the Bruins got 1 in 52. Still we could celebrate the record breaking regular season record Donny brought to us or that the Bruins makes the playoffs every year. Why isnt everyone happy with this?! Spoiled brats ...
If we had that 2019 cup we would be feeling full I believe.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
This trade could not have helped the rating

The moment I saw that Sweeney gave Ullmark away for peanuts and took on an anchor of a contract I just laughed and thought, he just f***ed it up again. Still I have to read how great this trade was and how Sweeney is a gm master mind ...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yea but watch leternaeu be the next tage and all is forgiven. Who knows. Let's see.

If we had that 2019 cup we would be feeling full I believe.
Letourneau a way better skater. Needs to be more of a bull but he will learn that

2019 was the worst. Have to seize the moment and win game 7. Those opportunities don’t come around often as we’ve seen

Reactions: The don godfather

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The moment I saw that Sweeney gave Ullmark away for peanuts and took on an anchor of a contract I just laughed and thought, he just f***ed it up again. Still I have to read how great this trade was and how Sweeney is a gm master mind ...
I’ll admit you guys all know more about hockey then me - DKH is my acronym for don’t know hockey

One of the biggest disappointments about this place is how many people are wrong about a lot of things and never own it

I’ve lost a lot of respect for many posters here which is to bad

I’m not calling you out but if this post turns out wrong will you own it or are you an HF know it all

Hoping you are accountable and I can continue to enjoy you

I’ll be watching to see how your post ages

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Who exactly is talking about how great the trade is. Seems like everyone realizes it was less then ideal. Some people here won't be happy until everyone is upset as they are.

I prefer to ride it out. If Korpisalo is a good/decent backup, then all this fuss was for not. Much like all the gnashing of teeth when Lohrei was drafted. If Korpisalo gets beat out by Bussi and stays in Providence as a backup then we have a cap hit of 2 million per year that I do not like, but it is an insurance policy. If it were 1 mil lower I wouldn't mind it even as a FA signing. Add in the fact that we got a prospect the team loves and I also already like and for me we are really starting to split hairs.

So did Sweeney win or lose the trade. In my mind he lost the trade. But it is not some lopsided Herschel Walker style deal. This is not a Joe Thornton or Tyler Seguin redux.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Imagine the joy if the Bruins win Game 7 in 2019.

In those 52 years the Bruins have won more hockey games than any other NHL team. Only Montreal has won more playoff games. It's been an enjoyable 52 years for me. Not as enjoyable as the previous 5 seasons (peak Orr), but still, lots of great viewing in that time.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Who exactly is talking about how great the trade is. Seems like everyone realizes it was less then ideal. Some people here won't be happy until everyone is upset as they are.

I prefer to ride it out. If Korpisalo is a good/decent backup, then all this fuss was for not. Much like all the gnashing of teeth when Lohrei was drafted. If Korpisalo gets beat out by Bussi and stays in Providence as a backup then we have a cap hit of 2 million per year that I do not like, but it is an insurance policy. If it were 1 mil lower I wouldn't mind it even as a FA signing. Add in the fact that we got a prospect the team loves and I also already like and for me we are really starting to split hairs.

So did Sweeney win or lose the trade. In my mind he lost the trade. But it is not some lopsided Herschel Walker style deal. This is not a Joe Thornton or Tyler Seguin redux.

Circumstances dictated this trade would be unfavorable for the Bruins. When everybody knows the B's need to move Ullmark and they only have a limited group of teams to talk to, as well as being desperate for a first-round pick, Sweeney was not in a good spot.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Imagine the joy if the Bruins win Game 7 in 2019.

In those 52 years the Bruins have won more hockey games than any other NHL team. Only Montreal has won more playoff games. It's been an enjoyable 52 years for me. Not as enjoyable as the previous 5 seasons (peak Orr), but still, lots of great viewing in that time.
Great post,

The Bruins have served up 1000's of memories for me since I was 10 years old.

Lots of heart ache but more joy. My four grown kids 24-35 two girls and two boys love this uniform almost as much as me,

I have done my job as a parent lololololol

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve seen 5 Cups awarded live

77 or 78 Montreal (game 6)
Edmonton 92
Chicago 13
Blues 19

Maybe it’s 4 lol

Am I missing any

Whatever. But the Blues one was just crushing

I need not only a Cup it’s gotta be won here and I’m in my seats

They win this year on road as long as Dallas I’m good because I’ll be there but unless they are winning at home (or Dallas) don’t bother

Hear me Donny

AT HOME

Let’s go !!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad