News Article: Bruins Front Office Confidence Rank

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever Bruins fans give I round up a grade to take into consideration they are Bruins fans

That said - still only gives Bruins a C in
Draft & Development

Um…..no

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It’s “supposed” to be the current management. But that’s not how fans answer - look at the Lightning. Their fans gave them an ‘A’ for drafting and developing, second highest score in the league. But what drafting/developing have they done under Brisebois? That’s an Yzerman grade.

Our fans rate us lower in Vision than the Anaheim Ducks, who have had 26 picks in the first 3 rounds over the past 6 years (!!!) and are still awful. Moral of the story is Bruins fans are not good at rating their front office relative to the league.
Come on…..these a Bruins fans.

That they even gave above a D in anything is startling

They are getting soft

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It’s “supposed” to be the current management. But that’s not how fans answer - look at the Lightning. Their fans gave them an ‘A’ for drafting and developing, second highest score in the league. But what drafting/developing have they done under Brisebois? That’s an Yzerman grade.

Our fans rate us lower in Vision than the Anaheim Ducks, who have had 26 picks in the first 3 rounds over the past 6 years (!!!) and are still awful. Moral of the story is Bruins fans are not good at rating their front office relative to the league.

Is that the moral of the story?

Sounds like anaheim fans aren’t good at rating their front office.

At least bruins fans, while I agree 14 is a bit low, are much closer to reality than anaheim fans. I’d probably bump the bruins up 3-4 spots, but I’d drop anaheim much lower.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

At least bruins fans, while I agree 14 is a bit low, are much closer to reality than anaheim fans. I’d probably bump the bruins up 3-4 spots, but I’d drop anaheim much lower.
You’d bump them up but you want the whole management team fired because of no cup? Seems contradictory.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He really couldn’t though. Not in this day and age with what the franchise is valued At annd what they bring in per season even with this version of Bruins fans I would think. His goal was to make the rangers, leafs, wings knights et all not make him look like a fool and spend 25 million more a season than him. We saw his true colors when there was no cap

Allowed by the rules he was paramount in making so he could stop being made a fool of

Am I in the twilight zone? The guy didn’t get his rep for nothing, he always said he would spend to a cap as long as there was a cap. It was saving him money

Jacobs was in fact always a cheap SOB… & he had the perfect point man in Sinden running his operation. I’ll never forgive him for the late 80’s early 90’s when that Neely Bourque team was a player or two away from really competing with the Oilers/ Penguins.

He did his best to muscle in the salary cap and now he looks “fair”? If there were no cap today I believe the Bruins would be in the bottom 10 spending.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
But we haven’t won a Cup since 2011

The 3-4 Prez Trophy, finals, and best all time record just make it worse

Chicago has won 3 Cups since then and drafted Bedard & Oliver Moore, and brought in good leaders like Foligno & Hall; Montreal has Jeff Gorton one of the best GM in hockey - who built the Rangers

Utah fans are optimistic & SJ drafted Celebrini & Dickinson

None have screwed up

How can anyone have confidence in Sweeney & Neely. I’m assuming the trade grade was in the books before the korpisalo catastrophe.

God, I really hate this angle of looking at things.

It implies that winning a Championship is the default.

While it’s understandable that a first round exit in a record-setting regular season is extremely disappointing, the assumption that a Cup should have been somehow assumed automatic was severely misplaced. That’s the simpleton fan view that has very little relation to objective reality.

Being able to pull an example of another team that has won more Cups is comparing to the exception, not the norm. You’re bound to be locked in a perpetual mindset of negativity toward the FO if that is the point from which you evaluate.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It was common knowledge he was the leader owners wise for the cap. Like you said he waited to see what he was dealing with numbers wise.
Also for the lockout: Bruins owner takes shots at NHLPA over lockout

Love this quote: "The players are going to get very rich under this transaction," he said. "They were very rich going into this. They passed up $700 million in payroll. That's a lot. And I'm hopeful that it was fulfilling."

I love how the most free market laissez faire capitalists who can never have enough $$, call people who make less than themselves greedy.

While it’s understandable that a first round exit in a record-setting regular season is extremely disappointing, the assumption that a Cup should have been somehow assumed automatic was severely misplaced. That’s the simpleton fan view that has very little relation to objective reality.

Being able to pull an example of another team that has won more Cups is comparing to the exception, not the norm. You’re bound to be locked in a perpetual mindset of negativity toward the FO if that is the point from which you evaluate.
He's being sarcastic and is on your side.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Love this quote: "The players are going to get very rich under this transaction," he said. "They were very rich going into this. They passed up $700 million in payroll. That's a lot. And I'm hopeful that it was fulfilling."

I love how the most free market laissez faire capitalists who can never have enough $$, call people who make less than themselves greedy.

Thought there was a good chance of that. Figured the response to it worked either way.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’d bump them up but you want the whole management team fired because of no cup? Seems contradictory.

Plenty of teams haven’t won a cup since Sweeney started in 2015. Bruins have certainly been among the best teams regular season teams to not win a cup.

A perpetual first/2nd round exit of the playoffs gets you around a 10 slot in the league.

Yes I do want Sweeney gone. GMs have shelf lives. He’s one of the longest tenured GMs in the league to not win a cup and he’s knocking on the door of being the 2nd longest tenured GM in bruins history to not win a cup.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Jacobs was in fact always a cheap SOB… & he had the perfect point man in Sinden running his operation. I’ll never forgive him for the late 80’s early 90’s when that Neely Bourque team was a player or two away from really competing with the Oilers/ Penguins.

He did his best to muscle in the salary cap and now he looks “fair”? If there were no cap today I believe the Bruins would be in the bottom 10 spending.
I mean who does Gary Bettman work for again?

Jacobs was a hardliner. Along with all the other small market teams. *snicker*

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Here’s the issue

When the bruins are favorites they lose. When they are underdogs they lose

Brad Marchand echoes what many fans think. It’s not negative to say not winning the cup means nothing else matters. It’s just the truth

Hockey is fun and we watch it win or lose so that doesn’t change.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

All fan bases are not created equally.

People from California have a totally different outlook on life from people in Boston or New York. And Montreal is probably the most out there. They are French for one thing. And the hockey fans there are the most intense.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That's crazy.

The year the Bruins went to the finals against Edmonton, Bourque was the leading scorer on the team. They didn't have a forward that averaged over a point per game. How could they be a player or two away from the team that had prime Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Fuhr. Even if they were that close, where do you get 2 top players in the non-free agent era?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Here’s the issue

When the bruins are favorites they lose. When they are underdogs they lose

Brad Marchand echoes what many fans think. It’s not negative to say not winning the cup means nothing else matters. It’s just the truth

Hockey is fun and we watch it win or lose so that doesn’t change.

That's some kind of negative sentence.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Plenty of teams haven’t won a cup since Sweeney started in 2015. Bruins have certainly been among the best teams regular season teams to not win a cup.

A perpetual first/2nd round exit of the playoffs gets you around a 10 slot in the league.

Yes I do want Sweeney gone. GMs have shelf lives. He’s one of the longest tenured GMs in the league to not win a cup and he’s knocking on the door of being the 2nd longest tenured GM in bruins history to not win a cup.
So I assume you’d have fired Jim Nill as GM of the Stars by now too?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

apologies

I was being a Bruins fan

Dave, you know me to well

I know, how dare they ask for more than a cup every 40 years or so.
What about all the Banners? They even have a bar named after it there

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I wonder if with Seattle the fan expectations have been inflated by the Vegas effect and by their 2nd season. What the Knights have done was never realistic for the Kraken, but not everyone may realize that, and then even some who did may have been carried away by their 2023 run which was a definite over-achievement and again was highly unlikely to be repeated with their roster. Them falling back to the middle with a lot of uncertainty about just which way they go from here would be disappointing, if not that surprising.

Overall though I'd say the franchise has had a solid start and looks well-established in Seattle.
I think the Vegas effect is probably very real for some for sure.

They are making some poor decisions though. Their big free agents this year were huge overpays and I bet they regret trading Lauzon for just a 2nd rounder (as I regret him not being a Bruin even though I know we had no way to protect him)

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
From what I remember readi
JJ spearheaded the cap?

Explain this to me Lou?

If JJ spearheaded it, and was "the guy" to bring it in, why did the Bruins get caught with their pants down by not filling out a roster before the lockout because he thought things would be different coming out of the lockout?

This idea that he wanted it and spearheaded it is way off. It was Bettman that spearheaded it.
From what I remember reading and hearing back then, JJ was absolutely the leader in pushing the cap. The reason his and Sinden’s strategy failed is that the other owners and the players agreed to the 24% rollback.

With no rollback, JJ’s plan would have actually worked out really well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So I assume you’d have fired Jim Nill as GM of the Stars by now too?

Yes I would. Again much more successful GMs throughout NHL history have been fired for less.

GMs have a shelf life. You seem to live in some mythical world where the only job in the NHL that has a shelf life is the coach.

In Sweeney’s case right now you can only fire so many coaches before the finger gets pointed at himself.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes I would. Again much more successful GMs throughout NHL history have been fired for less.

GMs have a shelf life. You seem to live in some mythical world where the only job in the NHL that has a shelf life is the coach.

In Sweeney’s case right now you can only fire so many coaches before the finger gets pointed at himself.
You’re literally the only person on the planet who would fire Jim Nill.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’re literally the only person on the planet who would fire Jim Nill.

No I’m not but it truly is amazing how much slack you give GMs. He would have also been fired years ago by you’re standard of missing the playoffs

25 of the 32 current GMs have tenures of 5 years or less. GMs have very short shelf lives for better or for worse.

Sweeney and Nill are 2x-3x the average GM tenure for two guys who haven’t won anything. If you want to give credit to Nill for making a Stanley cup and losing in the conference finals go for it.

Everyone has a shelf life. If you want to say Nill has more of one due to Dallas being fair weather hockey market then sure. However it’s different in Boston.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
That's some kind of negative sentence.
Yeah to you because you don’t require winning championships.

Like I said it’s still fun to watch, but winning the Cup is it. That’s the whole point of a season.

From what I remember readi

From what I remember reading and hearing back then, JJ was absolutely the leader in pushing the cap. The reason his and Sinden’s strategy failed is that the other owners and the players agreed to the 24% rollback.

With no rollback, JJ’s plan would have actually worked out really well.
He was. He’s Bettmans boss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad