Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Can someone please explain the salary retention part of the deal . Cap friendly has the Bruins paying 1.9M for this year and the next two but also has the Rangers paying .875M this year and 3.8 for the next two. That can't be right.

I don’t think it is.

They also have Brendan Smith at his full salary in the “buried” column next to Beleskey. Maybe they just put them there until they know where the guy will be?

For example, if Beleskey is in the AHL next year at $1.9m, then the Rags are “burying” $1m roughly in addition to his AHL salary. If he’s on the NHL roster, all $1.9m goes there.

I think it’s just a paperwork thing?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I’m really having trouble with this being a rental player and nothing more.

Beleskey and Lindgren are fine with me but Spooner for an overpriced rental really gets me.

I’m all for trading Spooner but I wanted someone with equal or more term in return.

My other concern is Nash’s tendancy to disappear like Krejci for stretches of time.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Ok I'm a complete newb to this trading business. Do the players involved have any say in the matter or do they just have to do what they are told? Could Spooner for example say that he doesn't want to go to the Rangers or is it tough sh*t?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I wonder what happens to that retained salary if Rangers buy out Beleskey's contract in the summer.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Literally hate that idea. Seen them play together too many times with zero chemistry to want to see that again.

Agreed, but it just gives you another option...previously we didnt have that at all.

I like the flexibility we have in our top 9.

If we could get a more complete 3rd line center, that would be enough.

Reactions: LSCII

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Beleskey and Lindgren are fine with me but Spooner for an overpriced rental really gets me.

I’m all for trading Spooner but I wanted someone with equal or more term in return.

My other concern is Nash’s tendancy to disappear like Krejci for stretches of time.
we have guys ready to come in next year. wd have bjork cehlarik donato etc. spooner is easily replaceable

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Do I think we gave up "a lot"? Yes.

Am I happy that we finally have a GM willing to go for impact players, instead of low upside grinders, at the trade deadline? Yes.

I'd like us to get a GM that gets impact players WITH TERM. We've literally been trying to solve for Krejci's RW since Horton left. Through Iginla, Eriksson, Spooner, now Nash we just keep tossing band-aids on it. All of the wasted assets and salary dollars over the years hurts long-term.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Solid move for the Bruins. They are a better team today than they were yesterday.

And they did it without trading really any of their top prospects.

I like Lindgren, but of the 4 young D in the system (Lauzon, Zboril, Vaak) he had the lowest upside, and was probably the furthest away from helping the Bruins. So thats a win for Boston not giving up any of the other 3.

Ryan Spooner has played very well in Boston, but he's got arbitration rights this summer and can walk away as a UFA in 2019. Spooner out, Nash in, that's makes the Bruins a better team for this season at least. So it your looking at possibly a quarter season of Nash for a season and a quarter of Spooner, who wasn't likely to be extended long term by Boston in 2019 with the other, young and more important players needing new contracts at that time.

The 7th rd. pick is a wash.

Dumping Beleskey is good. It was widely assumed that the Bruins would of needed a 1st rounder alone to dump his entire contract. So they dumped 50% and saved themselves a buyout this summer. Money-wise vs. the buyout, the real savings is what would of been the 1 million cap hit in 2020-21 and 21-22.

So their 1st rounder is gone, but they've had lots of picks the last few years, and getting a top rental forward without giving up really any of their top prospects is the biggest thing for me. The deal is done, the Bruins are a better team today, and the cupboards are still fully stocked.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016

These numbers make me pretty optimistic. I think Nash will bring scoring depth the Bruins really need. Do not mind the price at all. Gives more flexibility next year, and a guy like Bjork, Cehlarik, donato, even a dark horse like senysyhn, really has a chance to come grab the spot.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like us to get a GM that gets impact players WITH TERM. We've literally been trying to solve for Krejci's RW since Horton left. Through Iginla, Eriksson, Spooner, now Nash we just keep tossing band-aids on it. All of the wasted assets and salary dollars over the years hurts long-term.

Where are all the teams trading impact players WITH TERM?

You want to make that deal, your going to have to send back your own impact players with term.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ok I'm a complete newb to this trading business. Do the players involved have any say in the matter or do they just have to do what they are told? Could Spooner for example say that he doesn't want to go to the Rangers or is it tough sh*t?

Only way a player has a say in a trade is if they have a No trade clause or a no movement clause. You'll see them abbreviated to NTC or NMC. There's a difference between both.

The No-Movement Clause:
A No-Movement Clause prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player’s consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless the player approves one of these moves. The player has the final say. Some players will often have a limited trade list here as well. A No-Movement Clause does not restrict a team from buying out or terminating a player’s contract.

The No-Trade Clause:

A No-Trade Clause is much less restrictive. It only places restrictions on movement by trade. A player with a No-Trade Clause cannot be traded by a team unless the player provides consent. A limited (partial or modified) No-Trade Clause is often less restrictive than a full No-Trade Clause and depends on the conditions negotiated in the player’s contracts. Often with these No-Trade Clauses, the player is asked to provide a list of teams to which he would be willing to be traded or NOT traded to. This list can change or fluctuate from season to season.

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Tough shit, unless a player has a no trade clause or no movement clause as a part of their contract. Spooner does not have that.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
The players have no choice unless they have a ' NO TRADE CLAUSE ' in their contract. Sometimes the no trade part is only to specific teams etc .

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
If he is good enough I would love to see if he would come back on a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap money. First I want to see him but it sounds like he might even be cheaper than Spooner to bring back. That is good value if he could be another veteran responsible two way player that could presumably move up and down the lineup.

Cautiously optimistic about the type of trade I used to hate. ☺

Last edited:

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
We get a 27(!) goal scorer for a 4th line center who was being forced to play wing...and who was not going to be resigned.

Oh..and got rid of the albatross Beleskey. Amazing. How he got this done without giving up Senyshyn I don't know. Spooner is a probably the 4th option even on the Rags. Who knows- they might be able to sign Nash cheap for next season. Even for a rental this was a great deal.

The Carolina goal is nasty. Who on the Bruins currently can do this?

Reactions: Scruffy and Strafer

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

Krejci healthy in the playoffs is beast mode for me, so I don't worry about this.

Plus with the depth we have now, you can afford guys to have nights off.

If the playoffs started today, do u have confidence in Spooner doing anything? I don't

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Depends on the contract. For example, Nash had a clause in his contract that would allow him to select certain teams that he would not allow himself to be traded to. Spooner did not have that clause in his contract so for him it's tough shit.

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yeah unless you have a no trade or limited trade clause pretty much tough sh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad