Broberg & Holloway

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Just wondering what the general thoughts are on these two young guys going into next season.

I think both have shown quite well in the playoffs for the most part, and both have been able to find the scoresheet as well which is a good sign.

Would you guys still look to move them for better upgrades next year, or is anyone else excited to see them up with the team from the get go next season?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Just wondering what the general thoughts are on these two young guys going into next season.

I think both have shown quite well in the playoffs for the most part, and both have been able to find the scoresheet as well which is a good sign.

Would you guys still look to move them for better upgrades next year, or is anyone else excited to see them up with the team from the get go next season?
This team doesn't have enough youth and value contracts. They both need to be played next year.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
This team doesn't have enough youth and value contracts. They both need to be played next year.
I'd keep Kulak over Ceci, but you could move them both out and free up all the cap with Broberg replacing Kulak to start.

If Holloway can put a full healthy season together, I think he's a solid top 9 guy at minimum, and definitely has room to grow. I think Kane has been heavily hampered by the hernia all year, so I can't honestly say I think Holloway could replace him, but I could see it getting there at some point in the future.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

I like the idea of bringing both into training camp with the view of adding them to the lineup. And Lavoie.
Those 3 could be candidates to fill some needed holes and give us the economy of youth contracts. They have ceilings to grow into, so there could be hiccups along the way but would deserve some patience (as Broberg showed this season).
Easy call.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holloway needs to score more goals, 1 goal since round 1 with tons of Draisaitl minutes doesn't cut it.

Broberg has been a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Holloway needs to score more goals, 1 goal since round 1 with tons of Draisaitl minutes doesn't cut it.

Broberg has been a pleasant surprise.

Have realistic goals imo. He's provided a lot of value, has had one of the highest battle levels on the team. It's a big win, and expecting a top six scorer is not realistic. Holloway is a bowling ball and causes chaos, he raises our forecheck pressure

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Holloway has shown some flashes early on but needs to be more consistent in production. The motor is there.

Broberg I thought has been great in the time he has played. Hopefully he can build on it going into next year

Reactions: guymez

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Need to dump contracts and that's going to take draft capital and prospects.

I'd sacrifice either of these young players if we could get out from under Holland's blunders.

It might take Holloway just to get rid of Campbell without a buyout and someone might take Nurse with no retention if you attached Broberg. Maybe we could salvage something good from these proposed transactions in return. Maybe we could do both by adding high picks and lesser prospects.

Holland really f***ed us.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

I'd sacrifice either of these young players if we could get out from under Holland's blunders.

It might take Holloway just to get rid of Campbell without a buyout and someone might take Nurse with no retention if you attached Broberg. Maybe we could salvage something good from these proposed transactions in return. Maybe we could do both by adding high picks and lesser prospects.

I don’t think avoiding the Camobell buyout would be worth moving Holloway for. We need some contracts like that and some speed in the team. If it was part of something bigger I’d say maybe yes.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Holloway has been decent considering the playoffs and what not. He still hasn't figured out the NHL game IMO. Definitely a player I'm willing to show patience with. If I'm being completely honest he's hurt the team with some defensive mistakes more than he's helped. But that's a really hard line to cross for a player his age in the playoffs.

Broberg I may have to have to eat a big pile of crow on. I didn't like the pick and didn't like the player I saw. Until these playoffs. He's helped more than he's hurt and that's not easy considering where and who the team has been playing. Here's hoping it's just the beginning.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think Broberg looks more than NHL ready. I would prefer him to start next season on the 3rd pairing, but given our history as a franchise I'm sure he'll start the season off in the top 4.

Holloway probably starts next season in the top 6. If he can score a couple of goals in the playoffs, I'm sure he'll be able to score 20-30 on the second line and by the time we get to the playoffs, he'll probably have the confidence needed to score more in the playoffs. In an ideal world, I have him playing 3rd line center next year, but that won't happen.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Meh to both right now

Hopefully both can actually meaningfully contribute next year. Just playing minutes and not doing anything with them isn’t enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015

Campbell buyout is only 1.5 cap for 6 years, it’s a no brainer to buy him out for the 3.5 space it gives the oilers

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Meh to both right now

Hopefully both can actually meaningfully contribute next year. Just playing minutes and not doing anything with them isn’t enough.
Pretty harsh analysis of Broberg I would suggest. Plus 2, 2 goals, 15 min toi. We should be so lucky to have another one of him to displace Nurse.

Holloway has cooled off since the first insertion but still hits more than anybody else, but yeah I’d like to see a bit more of a drive from him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ideally, you'd start Holloway as a 3rd line winger, though admittedly I'd be curious to see him as a McWinger.

Imo he's not a great fit with Draisaitl, as his game's fairly uncreative, even if he does have some nice skill and vision. Meanwhile that "hound the puck, make a clean pass to your centre, and go to the net" approach works well with McDavid.

As for Broberg, I don't see how anyone can be disappointed. He's come in vs. the best that the Eastern and Western Conferences could offer, and has more than held his own.

Last edited:

Lannes

May 5, 2024
I don't see alot to get excited about in Holloway, to be honest. The hands are just not there. His upside is probably Warren Fogele but I'm not sure he even generates as many offensive chances as Fogele does when he's on his game.

The fact that this franchise spent first-round picks on stone-handers in Puuljarvi, Yamamoto and Holloway is absolutely crippling this team. If even one of those guys was a legit threat on Draisaitl's wing...

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I like the way Broberg looks. He's flying all over the place. Silky smooth skater and he's got a couple of playoff goals including one in the cup final. Last game he looked like our best defenseman and he's only 22. He's quite literally been the only bright spot of this disastrous cup final. He's definitely NHL ready and he will be a regular next year.

Holloway has looked very good at times but there has also been very long stretches where he's done absolutely nothing. If he wants to prove himself to be an effective NHL player, the time will be next season. If he can't do that, he's a bust.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
For next year I see two things,

Foegele is not resigned and Holloway gets looks in the middle six.

Kulak, though he great to have for the stretch run and the playoffs. Traded as maybe a sweetener to move Ceci for an upgrade on 2RHD and Broberg moves into 3LHD taking more minutes from Nurse as play allows. Yes I know Broberg is decent at playing his offside so far this post season, but I’d rather him play long term at LHD.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I don't see alot to get excited about in Holloway, to be honest. The hands are just not there. His upside is probably Warren Fogele but I'm not sure he even generates as many offensive chances as Fogele does when he's on his game.

The fact that this franchise spent first-round picks on stone-handers in Puuljarvi, Yamamoto and Holloway is absolutely crippling this team. If even one of those guys was a legit threat on Draisaitl's wing...
Hm, not sure I agree. While his waterbug chaotic style does seem to have him losing pucks at a noticeable rate, it almost looks like he is simply too nervous and psycho out there.

We can see spurts in the NHL or in his college highlights where his hands are very impressive. In terms of stickhandling prowess he would be right near the top of our club if I'm being honest. If we consider McDavid having the hands of a surgeon and Hyman having the hands of a rapist, we can place Holloway somewhere around having the hands of a dentist. He's up there.

For next year I see two things,

Foegele is not resigned and Holloway gets looks in the middle six.

Kulak, though he great to have for the stretch run and the playoffs. Traded as maybe a sweetener to move Ceci for an upgrade on 2RHD and Broberg moves into 3LHD taking more minutes from Nurse as play allows. Yes I know Broberg is decent at playing his offside so far this post season, but I’d rather him play long term at LHD.
In my eyes Kulak has been our third best defenceman by a large margin. He's not far off Ekholm in terms of his play these playoffs. I've loved his game and let's keep in mind who his partners have been.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Hm, not sure I agree. While his waterbug chaotic style does seem to have him losing pucks at a noticeable rate, it almost looks like he is simply too nervous and psycho out there.

We can see spurts in the NHL or in his college highlights where his hands are very impressive. In terms of stickhandling prowess he would be right near the top of our club if I'm being honest. If we consider McDavid having the hands of a surgeon and Hyman having the hands of a rapist, we can place Holloway somewhere around having the hands of a dentist. He's up there.

In my eyes Kulak has been our third best defenceman by a large margin. He's not far off Ekholm in terms of his play these playoffs. I've loved his game and let's keep in mind who his partners have been.
Kulak has been good for the last 3 playoff runs. He seems to have that ability to really stabilize his game in the post season.

Reactions: Laodongxi

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Meh to both right now

I don't get this opinion of Broberg the guy has arguably been the most positive surprise this playoffs and it's not close. I see a player now that is being encouraged to play to his ability instead of the "safe" chips off the board plays that would get picked off in previous seasons that would bite him in the ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad