Broberg & Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good things come to those who wait. This is what realistic development looks like.

Both Holloway and Broberg are bonafide NHL players who will deliver quality NHL minutes on cheap contracts. Can't overslot them too high in the lineup but rather continue to grow their games through experience and confidence building. Holloway is a firm 3W with enough raw putty to potentially mature into a 2W role. But we see at apex competition this team needs more veteran quality support scoring.

Broberg I believed was always going to put the tools together as a likely future quality second pair NHL defenseman (and maybe, maybe stretch in prime years to a top pair complement guy. But don't feel a Cup contender window team should drop him into second pair. Rather upgrade 2RD with a veteran and continue to grow Broberg with third pair responsibilities while exposing him to PK and second unit PP.

Great to see them play and elevate in deep playoff competition.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Broberg is now playing at a high level, and very good to see. Holloway has dropped off some, and you can really see the inexperience kicking in and getting a bit overwhelmed at times. But he'll be fine as time goes on.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A big part of the growth of these two is Knob, who fixed one of Woody's biggest flaws: the inability to rotate guys up/down or in/out of the roster.

Specifically I don't think Woody liked demoting guys that proved it once that they could cut it in a role, regardless of how ice cold they went afterwards.

Knob has a far better feel for the pulse of the roster, and has no issue treating it like a fluid concept, where guys move around.

That means Holloway can start off on the 4th line and actually move up as guys like Foegele, Kane, and Perry fall off.

Broberg was tossed directly into the fire without spending any time in the frying pan, but an entire season of being "the guy" in Bakersfield has his confidence and feel for the game sky high.

But even in his case, Woody would have rode and died with his OG top 6 D, and just had Broberg as the 7th.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Campbell buyout is only 1.5 cap for 6 years, it’s a no brainer to buy him out for the 3.5 space it gives the oilers
Your numbers are wrong. Cap hit is third row. "Savings" is 4th.

2024-25$5,000,000$1,100,000$3,900,000
2025-26$5,000,000$2,300,000$2,700,000
2026-27$5,000,000$2,600,000$2,400,000
2027-28$0$1,500,000-$1,500,000
2028-29$0$1,500,000-$1,500,000
2029-30$0$1,500,000-$1,500,000
TOTAL$15,000,000$10,500,000$4,500,000

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just wondering what the general thoughts are on these two young guys going into next season.

I think both have shown quite well in the playoffs for the most part, and both have been able to find the scoresheet as well which is a good sign.

Would you guys still look to move them for better upgrades next year, or is anyone else excited to see them up with the team from the get go next season?
We need cost controlled players who can produce, and both of these guys look like just that.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
A big part of the growth of these two is Knob, who fixed one of Woody's biggest flaws: the inability to rotate guys up/down or in/out of the roster.

Specifically I don't think Woody liked demoting guys that proved it once that they could cut it in a role, regardless of how ice cold they went afterwards.

Knob has a far better feel for the pulse of the roster, and has no issue treating it like a fluid concept, where guys move around.

That means Holloway can start off on the 4th line and actually move up as guys like Foegele, Kane, and Perry fall off.

Broberg was tossed directly into the fire without spending any time in the frying pan, but an entire season of being "the guy" in Bakersfield has his confidence and feel for the game sky high.

But even in his case, Woody would have rode and died with his OG top 6 D, and just had Broberg as the 7th.
This is crazy to me considering he was seen as a really good coach with the young kids down in Bako, and had the team flying if I remember correctly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This. We literally can't afford to not have them on the roster. Broberg replaces Kulak and Holloway replaces Foegele. That $4m goes to Connor Brown and we're square.
Broberg replaces Ceci I hope, even if it is on his off side. Contenders don't get rid of defensemen like Brett Kulak. Holloway replaces Foegele though, you're right about that. An extra 2M cap space right there.

Are you suggesting we pay Brown another 4M? Or suggesting that the savings from trading Kulak go to eat the Brown bonuses?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I think the success of Holloway and Broberg in the playoffs highlights how Lavoie was mishandled this year. Sure the cap was tight, but if he got a couple of regular season games he could potentially be added to this thread.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I think the success of Holloway and Broberg in the playoffs highlights how Lavoie was mishandled this year. Sure the cap was tight, but if he got a couple of regular season games he could potentially be added to this thread.
I think Lavoie still has potential to be an NHLer, but from his play during his callup and not much room in the top six when everyone is healthy. The best place was the AHL playing top minutes. In the best option was to shut Kane down to get Healthy and then maybe give him an extended look. But the oilers were looking to battle their way in to the playoffs rather than play a rookie

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
This. We literally can't afford to not have them on the roster. Broberg replaces Kulak and Holloway replaces Foegele. That $4m goes to Connor Brown and we're square.
I'd keep Kulak too, can trade Ceci if need be. Connor Brown for $4m, no, hopefully less than $2m

Broberg replaces Ceci I hope, even if it is on his off side. Contenders don't get rid of defensemen like Brett Kulak. Holloway replaces Foegele though, you're right about that. An extra 2M cap space right there.

Are you suggesting we pay Brown another 4M? Or suggesting that the savings from trading Kulak go to eat the Brown bonuses?
Agreed, keep Kulak. Maybe that post was referring to the cap overage from this year plus next years salary. I think Brown will get at least $1.5m though.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They're good enough to play but shouldn't be in the top half of the lineup yet. Broberg-Kulak should be the 3rd pairing next year.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Wish they could discuss contract extension with McDavid now. As far as main 2 guys in thread go. I'm really liking what i've seen out of both of them this playoff and this series.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Buy houses in Edmonton this summer, gentlemen. You're never setting foot in Bakersfield again.

Thomas Tatar

These two guys are what give me confidence in a repeat playoff run. They are completely solving our cap issues which was the intention of drafting them in the first place.

Sky is the limit for Holloway, if he gets top 6 time with McDavid and Drai next year, watch out.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
These two guys are what give me confidence in a repeat playoff run. They are completely solving our cap issues which was the intention of drafting them in the first place.

Sky is the limit for Holloway, if he gets top 6 time with McDavid and Drai next year, watch out.
It’s really good that they matured as slow as they did. Because if they had come out of the box a lot faster they would be shortly getting much more than they likely will.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Or maybe he’s just not good enough.
Or maybe he’s been handled perfectly and it will payoff.
One would think that in a thread about 2 young players who are performing wonderfully in the SCF, who many people had bitched about, or complained that they were mishandled, where it now appears they were handled perfectly, one would be somewhat circumspect in this thread of all places.
But here we are.
Too funny.

Reactions: AT14C and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad