LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would like to see Gibson going for a cup again. If the Ducks retain a lot then his value is pretty decent. What other goalie would you get for 3.5mil that is better for the next 3 years?

And that’s assuming he doesn’t have a huge bounce back when he is on a team competing. If he bounces back then Gibson at 3.5 for 3 years is an amazing deal.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think if Nashville plans on re-signing Saros, then perhaps Askarov can be made available. The Leafs should definitely look into that. I'd have the 1st and Nicholas Robertson on the table for a move like that.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You think a player would be willing to waive a no trade clause based on "the relationship" with a General Manager?

What is the relationship you think they have that would mean Markstrom would waive a no trade clause to be "managed" by him again?

Wait - if Woll is healthy he starts and Saros, Bennington and Markstrom take a seat on the bench?

Are you serious with this?

Players often like to deal with "the known" and familiar situations. Markstrom's also in a position given his age, that having the unwavering confidence of the GM might be something he values. For Markstrom, his choices would seem to be:

a) Languish away on a Calgary roster that cannot decide if they're rebuilding or contending.

b) Go to New Jersey and join a somewhat "upstart" team that has been desparate for goaltending.

c) Go to Toronto, and join a team run by the GM who brought him to Calgary in the first place, the guy who he knows has his belief, givne that he bet big on him once already, and is preapred to do it again. Also probably doesn't hurt that Toronto has one of the best forwards in the league, and even fi the defence is unknown, Markstrom knows what kind of D Treliving likes.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
18 million, and no Domi or Bertuzzi yet. biggest problem, you don’t have the 12-15 million in LTIR players next year.

Marner money out will give space and assets back fill some holes.

Right, but they would lose Bertuzzi, Domi, most of the D, and some bottom sixers, like 8-10 guys to sign with 20 million.

Leafs need 2 dmen and a goalie to have a full team. RFAs are all easy negotiations. Marner will be dealt and make more space and fill other holes

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The annual all encompassing search for a goalie by 5 teams and the eventual "we're happy with our goaltending tandem this year" in september when the team realizes the cost is too high for a not true elite goaltender and the unpredictable marginal upgrade isn't worth the cap and the assets.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Marner money out will give space and assets back fill some holes.

Leafs need 2 dmen and a goalie to have a full team. RFAs are all easy negotiations. Marner will be dealt and make more space and fill other holes
I’m not convinced Marner waives yet.

Definitely would help leaf’s if he did, but won’t be a huge return, without an extension.

Reactions: Fatass

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
18 million, and no Domi or Bertuzzi yet. biggest problem, you don’t have the 12-15 million in LTIR players next year.

????? LTIR players are a negative unless they are hurt halfway through the year.

Starting a year with a player on LTIR is not useful. It’s better now to have that. It’s a positive

And the leafs have 20.5 million to spend with

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxxx. Tavares. Nylander
Jarnkrok. Xxxxxx. Mcmann
Holmberg. Kampf. Reeves.

Rielly.
Mcabe
Benoit

Woll.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I’m not convinced Marner waives yet.

Definitely would help leaf’s if he did, but won’t be a huge return, without an extension.

He will waive. Why would he want to stay? This year means too much for him to risk going to a team that doesn't want him

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
c) Go to Toronto, and join a team run by the GM who brought him to Calgary in the first place, the guy who he knows has his belief, givne that he bet big on him once already, and is preapred to do it again. Also probably doesn't hurt that Toronto has one of the best forwards in the league, and even fi the defence is unknown, Markstrom knows what kind of D Treliving likes.
Markstrom is mediocre at best and outside of a few good stretches when has he ever been consistently good? If Brad brings him here he should be fired on the spot. Would rather just give the reigns to Woll and Hildeby and have a vet backup and see where that goes and then maybe re-evaluate at the trade deadline as to what to do if neither of the young guys can step up and play well.

• Haha

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
More than likely they’ll end up with a Husso or Elvis to play with Woll. The teams who will be after the big time goalies probably have the better pieces those teams will want in return. So unless it’s in a Marner deal, I’m not sure it’s gonna happen.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
More than likely they’ll end up with a Husso or Elvis to play with Woll. The teams who will be after the big time goalies probably have the better pieces those teams will want in return. So unless it’s in a Marner deal, I’m not sure it’s gonna happen.

I mean Lebrun is as credible as it gets, if he says it there is something to it.,

As far as Merzlikns and a Marner trade, if Marner were to bring back lets say Saros+, and yes it would be Saros+ because goalies for whatever reason do not, and never have had high trade value even the top ones.

If it's Marner for Saros+ I'm good with it as long as Saros got an extension.

Merzlikns is a guy I'd be all for, I think he's a good goaltender but I think he needs to get off of Columbus, they are awful.

Same thing with John Gibson sucks, not understanding that John Gibson is a Duck, he NEEDS to not be a Duck, the Ducks have good pieces but they are awful

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I mean Lebrun is as credible as it gets, if he says it there is something to it.,

As far as Merzlikns and a Marner trade, if Marner were to bring back lets say Saros+, and yes it would be Saros+ because goalies for whatever reason do not, and never have had high trade value even the top ones.

If it's Marner for Saros+ I'm good with it as long as Saros got an extension.

Merzlikns is a guy I'd be all for, I think he's a good goaltender but I think he needs to get off of Columbus, they are awful.

Same thing with John Gibson sucks, not understanding that John Gibson is a Duck, he NEEDS to not be a Duck, the Ducks have good pieces but they are awful
I just don’t see it unless Marner is in the trade. NJ, Det, LA, Buf, all have much more to work with in the way of prospects, to land a Saros, Gibson, Ullmark or Markstrom. Detroit can give one of those teams Cossa or Augustine in a deal too for example.

It’s also huge for any of those teams to take Marner. Calgary won’t. Boston won’t. Maybe Anaheim would, but not sure Nashville would. It would really tie them into some things, and I can guarantee you Barry doesn’t make that deal without talking to ROR and Schenn about Marner. Not sure how well that conversation would go either.

Out of all of them, Gibson would be the one I could see happening. Just not sure Verbeek wants an $11-$12 million winger on the books right now either.

They will have a new goaltender. Just think it’s gonna be more of the same types.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Markstrom is mediocre at best and outside of a few good stretches when has he ever been consistently good? If Brad brings him here he should be fired on the spot. Would rather just give the reigns to Woll and Hildeby and have a vet backup and see where that goes and then maybe re-evaluate at the trade deadline as to what to do if neither of the young guys can step up and play well.

Markstrom has been a workhorse, #1 goalie since his time in Vancouver.

As long as you're getting a bit of retention, and not moving mountains to get him, he's the perfect addition with 2 years left for Woll and/or Hildeby to try and establish themselves.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Out of all of them, Gibson would be the one I could see happening. Just not sure Verbeek wants an $11-$12 million winger on the books right now either.
Pretty much the only thing about Marner attractive to Anaheim is that he plays RW (that & a top RHD are really their only 'needs').

He's a little smaller than what PV said he's trying to build around. Not gritty/willing to play physically (from what I've seen anyway), another big checkmark in PV's shopping list. The well documented playoffs issue. But all of that could be ignored/worked around given MM's production (assuming of course that Marner would even waive for Anaheim...).

However, you hit on 'the' big problem with him. In a vacuum he fairly easily could be paid that much (And Anaheim's available cap space is why they are always mentioned with him in assorted trade threads...without looking at Anaheim's full picture). The Ducks in the next few years are going to have a lot of their upcoming players needing new & well paying contracts. Paying Marner what he's probably going to demand for his next contract (I can't see him taking a pay cut to move to a new team & get paid more in line with what he's actually worth) will destroy PV's bargaining position with the rest of the team, potentially setting up the same situation that Toronto's in right now (a core of 4-5 good/great players taking 50% of the payroll).

And given all that & that to the Ducks at this point, he's not overly valuable, the return that Toronto fans seem to expect won't be coming back. If he's willing to waive 'his' NMC, I could see a Gibson (with some retention but with three years left they probably won't want to do a whole lot), Max Jones (been mentioned in a couple of the aforementioned threads as someone Toronto might like (physical play), & perhaps a later round pick in '25 deal being worked out (I can't see a deal before July 1 to let Toronto pay the big chunk of next year's salary & also sign a new contract immediately...but PV won't want to pay what MM will want...).

Otherwise he'd just be a one year rental. And 'that' could be interesting - it would give MM a season (if he believed in himself) to prove that he'd be worth the bigger contract (to the Ducks or 'x') by demonstrating that his numbers just weren't because of who he was playing with. Potentially/probably with an understanding that if the Ducks weren't contending for the playoffs that he'd be traded to a contender at the TDL. But if he's going to be a rental, even the already fairly minimal offer above would be too much. The Ducks still have one more season (at least) before they're going to be ready to do anything in the playoffs. They really don't 'need' Marner right now (& might make the team good enough to not make the playoffs & miss a higher draft pick...).

And to drag it back around to what the thread was supposed to be about... Gibson's probably available (again, 'if' he waives his NMC), but Marner shouldn't be part of the deal.

Reactions: Petes2424

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad