LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’ve said this before, but something like this is a fun idea, but obviously wouldn’t happen and neither guys would probably waive.

To Chicago, John Tavares retained at 20% and Toronto’s 7th
To Chicago, Jesper Boqvist and Boston’s 2025 7th
To Boston, John Tavares retained by Chicago at 50% and the rights to Edmundson
To Toronto, Linus Ullmark

Boston gets their first line center, Toronto gets their goalie, Chicago buys a player and a few draft picks for cap space for one year. Drama ensues.
Chicago passes.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
We kind of expected Samsonov was not going to be resigned and options for goalies is a few names.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Binnington cares that when he is done playing his career will have been legendary. And if he were to be traded to his hometown Maple Leafs and bring them a Cup, he would float for the remainder of his life. It would be Hall of Fame, two statues outside of two arenas kind of stuff. He would absolutely embrace the chance if he got it.

He is totally motivated by significance, and when he is totally motivated he is locked in and he overcomes his obstacles. For example, he locked in this year and specifically put attention on not reacting, you could see it. He still had one or two bobbles, but it indicates to me this is still a hungry athlete who has a resume he is actively building. This is the sort of player who wants to make the save regardless, but knows it's more significant if it's against McDavid and wants that type of challenge and competition.

I am telling you as a fan who watched 34 of the franchise's 41 playoff failures before it won the Cup – nobody and I mean NOBODY knocks the Blues out of the playoffs 42 times in a row – that you very definitely want a goalie with this kind of approach and attitude when your skaters are good enough to make a contending run. He is so competitive as a person. It is the breakthrough element that the Leafs need. I would cheer for a Berube-Binnington Leaf team too.

But I want him to stay a Blue, win a few more games to become the franchise all time leading goalie in wins and then still be on the team in his younger 30s when the Blues get competitive again.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I’ve said this before, but something like this is a fun idea, but obviously wouldn’t happen and neither guys would probably waive.

Boston gets their first line center, Toronto gets their goalie, Chicago buys a player and a few draft picks for cap space for one year. Drama ensues.
Dead Cap and a Retention Slot for a couple 7th round picks and an RFA close to UFA that they could have gotten off Waivers?

I'm sure the idea made sense in your head, but it'd be a very silly move for the Hawks.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Cmon, it's not the core that's the problem it's goaltending? Goaltending, outside of shitty Samsonov in the playoffs has been more than good enough to win. The Leafs get nothing out of their offense core. It happened again this year. 12 goals in 7 game just doesn't get it done. 1 game with more than 2 goals doesn't get it done. The Leafs problems lay directly on their offense from some of the league's highest paid players.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Chicago passes.

Not nearly as fast as Boston does. :thumbd:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Trading those two for marner is absolutely absurd but if they ever decided to do a rebuild, they would be top candidates for trade bait
Probably,we'd trade those for a rebuild because they have value and would tank the team. . But #1 we aren't in a rebuild (whether we should be is a different question). More importantly, we wouldn't trade for a pending UFA. That was the point of my post.

People need to think these things through from the other team's side at least a little bit. We need a goalie and a D, so let's trade the guy we are trying to dump for this team's D and goalie. But why would they do that?

Expected goals against :laugh:

What a pathetically stupid stat.

Ok??? Take any stat you want to measure team defense outside of goaltending and we were one of the worst in the league. Our goaltending made our GAA middling, but our D was awful.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
Doubt it, and I'd be hesitant to do it anyway even if he is an upgrade because he had some pretty major health issues with blood clots.

I don't think he's untouchable, the Blues look to be trending down.
The Blues certainly aren't trending down. They have a ton of high-end prospects that have started to arrive and will continue to work their way up in the next year or two. They'll be fine, and if Biner IS available, Army won't make him cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
Binnington and Parayko for Marner…
12.5 combined compared to 12.5 Marner will get…
takes care of goaltending and defense in one shot. done
Sorry, we're not going to fix ALL of your problems for you. And we don't need your Playoff ghost.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Dead Cap and a Retention Slot for a couple 7th round picks and an RFA close to UFA that they could have gotten off Waivers?

I'm sure the idea made sense in your head, but it'd be a very silly move for the Hawks.
It was mostly just for a joke, no way does Boston help Toronto, or vice versa. But it is funny that they both have pretty much exactly what the other team needs.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We have all heard this bluster before.

The results have been Samsonov, Murray, Woll, Campbell, Hutchinson, Sparks, Pickard, McElhinney, Pickard, Bernier, Reimer, Scrivens, Giguerre past his prime, CuJo at 40+, Toskala, Raycroft, Gerber, Tellqvist...Andersen was the only thing resembling a starter the Leafs have had since Belfour, pre-lockout.

The two top UFA goalies are a 36 year old Cam Talbot, and none other than Ilya Samsonov. Swayman and Luukkonen are the only other free agent goalies coming up, as RFAs, and Boston and Buffalo seem content in keeping them.

Marner, Toronto's 1st this year, or one of the prospects that are utterly untouchable, apparently, are the only pieces that make sense to center a return around for an upper echelon goalie, and I can't think a team that would bite.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
The Blues certainly aren't trending down. They have a ton of high-end prospects that have started to arrive and will continue to work their way up in the next year or two. They'll be fine, and if Biner IS available, Army won't make him cheap.

If you are talking about forwards, you are absolutely right.

But if you are talking abiut the Blues' D prospects, you are dead wrong. This is actually the shallowest and least promising group of D in development I have seen in the organization, since I was old enough to follow them.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The fact of the matter is they need someone to go head to head with Bobrovsky, Shesterkin, Vasilevsky in the East.

To be fair, Ilya Samsonov beat Vasilevsky last year... adn Joseph Woll went head-to-head with Jeremy Swayman this year.

There's only 5 goalies in the leauge who make over $6m next year (and one of them is Gibson at $6.4m). Bob is #1 at $10m, and Vasi is #2 at $9.5m. The Leafs do/should have a whole bunch more cap flexibility than their Floridian counterparts.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
CCY
Sharangovich + Andersson + Markstrom with retention

For

TOR
Signed Marner + Robertson or Liljegren + 3rd round pick

Flame away. No puns intended.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Ok??? Take any stat you want to measure team defense outside of goaltending and we were one of the worst in the league. Our goaltending made our GAA middling, but our D was awful.

Not arguing that. I am just pointing out that discussing 'expected' anything is moronic. Reality matters, nothing else.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not arguing that. I am just pointing out that discussing 'expected' anything is moronic. Reality matters, nothing else.
It matters when trying to assign "blame". The best goalie in the world is going to get lit up playing against NHL all-stars with a pee-wee squad in front of him (Perunovich and Krug are about as tall as Pee-wee players). Looking at just team stats, which the regular goalie stats to a large extent are, does not single out the goalies performance as much as team defense. Looking at expected vs actual does a much better job of singling out the goalie.

People are dinging Binnington due to his Save percentage and goals against average being "middling". But our D gives up a lot more high danger shots that have a higher percentage of scoring. His GAA and save percentage should be worse given our D and the shots he faced. While he was expected to have bottom of the league GAA, his performance being above average allowed him to outperform the expected. Not sure why that is controversial or complicated.

Reactions: tfriede2

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You must have an interesting definition of "high end" and "a ton"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad