Brian Burke says 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup winning teams since them

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And the reason that Ducks team won a cup was because Scott wanted to play with his brother, which Burke had nothing to do with. Burke is/was a terrible GM and his track record when he wasn't gifted a super team speaks for itself.

Yup, Murray built that team and he lucked into Niedermayer while the Pronger situation fell into his hands. Incredible arrogance from a now exposed hockey executive.

I do think that Ducks team has been one of the best to in a cup over the last 20 years though they had everything.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ducks 07' Offense > Pens 16' Offense

Selanee (95 Points), McDonald (Prime, 80 points), Getzlaf (Young, but scored PLAYOFFS 18 points in 20 games), Perry (Young, but just like Getzlaf, he dominated playoffs), Kunitz (Prime, 60 points), Dustin Penner (Prime, 30 Goal Season), Travis Moen (Prime, 2-way-Fwd, Scored 7 Goals in Playoffs).

Penguins had Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel.
Crosby had (19 points in 24 games PLAYOFFS) -- Malkin had (18 points in 22 games PLAYOFFS) -- Kessel had (22 in 24 games PLAYOFFS)

How are those 3 even comparable to Ducks' offense as a whole? Plus, I'm not even including Ducks' legendary D-man: Pronger + Niedermiyer. P.S. Rob Niedermiyer, and Francious Beauchimin were legit #2Ds playing 4D

Also, Letang is not a #1, he lacks in the defense department. I know he was amazing offensively, but, he is not in the same league as Niedermiyer or Pronger.
I made that post to show why the ducks where better not worse. Guy was saying pens beat a better defense and I was just debating that

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Red Wings 08 and Ducks 07 would beat all other champions after. Red Wings with speed and tactical possession play (they outshot every team by 12-15 shots on average), Ducks with size and grit. The closest teams of the other ones would probably be Blackhawks in 13 and Penguins in 15.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Red Wings 08 and Ducks 07 would beat all other champions after. Red Wings with speed and tactical possession play (they outshot every team by 12-15 shots on average), Ducks with size and grit. The closest teams of the other ones would probably be Blackhawks in 13 and Penguins in 15.
Wings vs ducks matchup is just exciting basically opposite style teams, 1 is going to more or less over power you and beat you physically the other will outskate and outskill you... granted we did have the mcdonald selanne kunitz line that was pretty good change of pace.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
absolutely ridiculous

if they were so good why did they only win one cup? why didn't they even get back to the conference finals?

one year wonder and arguably the worst cup winning team

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
09/10 hawks would be hard to beat. 15/16 pens and 11/12 kings are also kind of tricky. They would lose for sure to 07/08 wings. Besides that I can see them beating the rest.
09/10 hawks are nowhere near the Hawks' teams that had won the Cup later If anything, that season's playoffs was one of the weakest since the lockout.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He's on NHL Network right now for their "Sportsnet at Noon" show and he says [loose parapharse] that he really thinks the 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup champs since the Ducks won in 07. Threads like this are usually saved for the week after the Finals are over and we have a new champ, but oh well.

He says that Ducks team had...

-Enough speed to keep up with the past two Penguins teams
-A lot of offense, "Perry and Getzlaf were on our second line and (when told "yeah but they were young")...they led our team in scoring
-the ability to have either Niedermayer or Pronger out for the majority of the game

Agree or disagree?

I've been watching hockey through almost 5 decades and am not sure I have seen a better 1-2 D punch and the scary thing is they didn't even lead the D in ice time. Basically they could have one of those two out there the entire 60 minutes.

Solid goalie, pretty good set of forwards. Physical. He's not wrong. Very few could match up.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yup, Murray built that team and he lucked into Niedermayer while the Pronger situation fell into his hands. Incredible arrogance from a now exposed hockey executive.

I do think that Ducks team has been one of the best to in a cup over the last 20 years though they had everything.

People throw this out over and over again but the reality is, he built the entire defense corps and traded 5 of his top 6 scoring forwards moving the club from something like 26th to a Cup in like a year and a half. Anyone just crediting it to essentially "luck" is ignoring a lot.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
08 wings and 10 hawks are the only teams that 07 ducks team would have had trouble with. 10 hawks, 07 ducks, 08 wings are the top 3 post-lockout cup winning teams

that team was ridiculously deep

kunitz-mcdonald-selanne
penner-getzlaf-perry
niedermayer-pahlsson-moen
may-marchant-thornton/parros

niedermayer-beauchemin
o'donnell-pronger
huskins-dipenta

all 4 forward lines were solid and one of niedermayer and pronger was virtually on the ice for the entire game

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
08 wings and 10 hawks are the only teams that 07 ducks team would have had trouble with. 10 hawks, 07 ducks, 08 wings are the top 3 post-lockout cup winning teams

that team was ridiculously deep

kunitz-mcdonald-selanne
penner-getzlaf-perry
niedermayer-pahlsson-moen
may-marchant-thornton/parros

niedermayer-beauchemin
o'donnell-pronger
huskins-dipenta

all 4 forward lines were solid and one of niedermayer and pronger was virtually on the ice for the entire game
Yikes at that 4th line and 3rd D pairing

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yikes at that 4th line and 3rd D pairing

The third pairing barely played. The 4th line was solid at the time and wasn't really needed much anyway. Marchant was a 30 point, excellent defensive forward, May was still a decent player and Thornton was just turning into a decent NHLer.

What made that forward group so great was the Pahlsson line though. Sami was the best shutdown forward in the game at the time and that line could match up against anyone in the league.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Comparing different years is difficult because the league changes over time. 07 Anaheim and 08 Detroit were absolutely dominant compared to their peers, but i would put up 16 Pittsburgh against them confidently. In addition to their high level of skill they were so much faster than everyone else that they've caused a shift in the way the league plays. Nowadays the pens are barely a top 5 fastest team let alone by a huge margin like in 2016. I'm not sure 07 and 08 cup winners would've been able to handle that speed and it also depends on how the game would be officiated.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Comparing different years is difficult because the league changes over time. 07 Anaheim and 08 Detroit were absolutely dominant compared to their peers, but i would put up 16 Pittsburgh against them confidently. In addition to their high level of skill they were so much faster than everyone else that they've caused a shift in the way the league plays. Nowadays the pens are barely a top 5 fastest team let alone by a huge margin like in 2016. I'm not sure 07 and 08 cup winners would've been able to handle that speed and it also depends on how the game would be officiated.

The 07 Ducks team had a hell of a lot of speed on it though. Niedermayer was a top 5 skater in the game, Kunitz, McDonald and Selanne could all absolutely fly, Beauchemin was a good skater back then and we also had Rob Niedermayer, Marchant and Huskins who were all very good skaters. Getzlaf and Perry were also much quicker then than they are now.

Reactions: bert

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
I think that everyone forgot about Sami Pahlsson. In 2006/07 he finished 2nd in Selke Voting, just behind Rod Brind'Amour. Actually, Pahlsson received the most 1st place and 3rd place votes, while Brind'Amour had the most 2nd place and 4th place votes. Realistically, Brind'Amour won, because he also scored 82 points as a 1st liner during that season, while Pahlsson only had 26 points as a 3rd liner. That shows just how good he was in his role.

2006-07 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

So you had a team consisting of:
> Two HHOF defensemen (who finished 2nd and 3rd in Norris Voting that year) and Beauchemin, all of whom played around 30 minutes a game during those play-off's, not to mention Sean O'Donnell who was a very good #4 veteran at the time.
> A speedy 1st line consisting of rejuvenated Selanne (48 goals which was 4 behind league leader, also b2b 90+ point seasons), McDonald (78 points, #30 in the league) and Kunitz (60 points and 81 PIM, a grinder)
> A very good 2nd line with 3 players on ELC (Getzlaf, Perry, Penner)
> A great 3rd line (Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer), including the best 3rd line forward, who finished a close 2nd in Selke voting that year.
> Conn Smythe winning goaltender in JS Giguere (who had a very good season and play-off's) and a competent backup (Bryzgalov)

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Great team for sure. Plus the league allowed them to balantantly cheapshot and injure opposing players. I’d give them excellent odds.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
My response to him would be:
okp66FD.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
People throw this out over and over again but the reality is, he built the entire defense corps and traded 5 of his top 6 scoring forwards moving the club from something like 26th to a Cup in like a year and a half. Anyone just crediting it to essentially "luck" is ignoring a lot.

Burke didnt aquire any of the top 6 forwards what are you talking about.

1. '08 Red wings
2. '16 Pens

Everyone else, including the '07 Ducks.
Meanwhile the 07 ducks team beat the the 08 Wings team in 07.

Reactions: Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad