Brian Burke says 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup winning teams since them

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I remember Wild fans saying "I hope we get the Ducks" before the seeds were concrete. By three games in, nobody on the Wild forum was saying anything close to that anymore. They were one of the best teams I've seen in the playoffs. Their offense was potent and their defense was so stifling that players like Demitra and Gaborik just couldn't even do anything against them. You could probably count the Wild's scoring chances against them in that 5 game series on one hand.

I'm not sure they're the best Cup winner in that span of time, but they'd certainly be up pretty high on my list, if I were to create one. I'm not sure I'd ever seen so much size and skill on one roster before then (or since, though the Jets remind me of them, this year).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone arguing that Scott didn't sign with the Ducks entirely to play with his brother literally has no idea what they are talking about. That is the only reason he left the Devils in the first place, this has been well documented.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's not wrong.

They were one of the best teams post lockout and were extremely well built.

I think they'd have trouble against the 2013 Blackhawks, 20112 Kings (they were unstoppable) and maybe 2008 DRW. 2010 Blackhawks (insane depth) and 2011 Bruins (Thomas was unreal that year) I'd also consider.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Strange because they beat that nearly identical wings team in 6 games the year before..

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Chelios/Lilja - Lebda

vs

Lidstrom - Markov
Lilja - Lebda
Chelios - Quincey

2007 basically played with 5 D, and Lilja - Lebda as a 2nd pair. I have a lot of respect for that Ducks team but honestly don't think they beat even the '07 Wings if Kronwall and Schneider don't get injured.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
They would be able to beat any of them because they have what is needed to do so it would just be a matter of actually playing the games and seeing it which is something that can't actually be done.

Oct 18, 2011
You sure about that?

The Red Wings outscored the Ducks 17-16 in that series while playing without their #2 (Schneider) and #3 (Kronwall) Dmen and had guys like Lilja and Lebda playing 20+ minutes, a 45YO Chelios playing half the game and Kyle Quincey just taking up space on the bench.

The 08 team on the other hand was pretty much completely healthy. You also drop notable 07 under performers in Lang and Bertuzzi, replace Markov and Schneider with Rafalski and Stuart, get notably improved versions of Kronwall, Hudler, Filppula and especially Franzen, a more physical team with Helm, Drake and McCarty, and 08 Osgood is a whole nother level above the Hasek that played in that 07 series.

08 Red Wings > 07 Ducks AINEC...

Then again... maybe that 2008 teams health gets ruined by a couple of Pronger headshots or a Brad May sucker punch...
Lol @ AINEC that's laughable. All those things you bring up and the fact remains even though Pronger was suspended for a game in 2007 the red wings still couldn't win that series. In 2009 Anaheim pushed that practically the same 08 wings team to 7 games despite their roster being a fraction of what it had been previously.

It would be a close series so cut the AINEC crap

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
They could win a seven game series against any of those teams.

So could the current Leafs.

The question is what's their percentage chance of winning or if they played each team in ten series how many times out of ten would they win?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Burke is dreaming

He's been failing lately and this is to combat the perception

He really wants to promote himself

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anyone arguing that Scott didn't sign with the Ducks entirely to play with his brother literally has no idea what they are talking about. That is the only reason he left the Devils in the first place, this has been well documented.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. They're arguing against the notion that Burke deserves less and/or Murray deserves more credit for that Cup because of that favorable Niedermayer situation.

Reactions: bert

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't think anyone is arguing that. They're arguing against the notion that Burke deserves less and/or Murray deserves more credit for that Cup because of that favorable Niedermayer situation.
And the reason that Ducks team won a cup was because Scott wanted to play with his brother, which Burke had nothing to do with. Burke is/was a terrible GM and his track record when he wasn't gifted a super team speaks for itself.

Oct 18, 2011
Burke overpaid to keep Rob Niedermayer so he could make his pitch to hid brother, so you can't say he had nothing to do with it

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
He's on NHL Network right now for their "Sportsnet at Noon" show and he says [loose parapharse] that he really thinks the 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup champs since the Ducks won in 07. Threads like this are usually saved for the week after the Finals are over and we have a new champ, but oh well.

He says that Ducks team had...

-Enough speed to keep up with the past two Penguins teams
-A lot of offense, "Perry and Getzlaf were on our second line and (when told "yeah but they were young")...they led our team in scoring
-the ability to have either Niedermayer or Pronger out for the majority of the game

Agree or disagree?

I wouldn’t bet against a team that can roll Pronger and Neids out there 30 mins a game. Plus they were strong down the middle, finishers in Selanne, Perry and Kunitz. And solid d men in O’Donnell and Beauchemin.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That Ducks team was pretty damn good. The California clubs all used that team as a blueprint (mostly the size and skill components) and have been very successful since. More successful than all of Canada anyways.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That Ducks team was pretty damn good. The California clubs all used that team as a blueprint (mostly the size and skill components) and have been very successful since. More successful than all of Canada anyways.
"... All of Canada"
3 Olympic golds, 3 world champs and 7 world Juniors since 2007. A lot of the ducks played for the all Canada team which by definition, can only a national team, But Yeah the 2007 Ducks were great!

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
"... All of Canada"
3 Olympic golds, 3 world champs and 7 world Juniors since 2007. A lot of the ducks played for the all Canada team which by definition, can only a national team, But Yeah the 2007 Ducks were great!

Pretty clearly talking about the NHL clubs. Unless Burke said the 07 Ducks could beat Team Canada. For the Stanley Cup.... :laugh:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty clearly talking about the NHL clubs. Unless Burke said the 07 Ducks could beat Team Canada. For the Stanley Cup.... :laugh:

Burk didn't say that, but you implied as much with "More successful than all of Canada anyways" Anyway sure more american based teams have won the cup, there are 25 more of them.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Hey....you know what? We've been trying to beat the 2007 Ducks ever since, so why not return Dorion to scouting duties and just makie Burkie the GM?
Genius!

Burke would be an upgrade for Ottawa for sure.
Burke taking credit for the Ducks is a bit much. Selanne wanted to come back, and so did Niedermayer as he wanted to join his bro to win him a Cup, those were both slam dunk moves. He also inherited Getz and Perry.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Burk didn't say that, but you implied as much with "More successful than all of Canada anyways" Anyway sure more american based teams have won the cup, there are 25 more of them.
He really didn't imply that. You erroneously inferred that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

At winning Stanley Cups. Which was the topic being discussed. 25 years since a Canadian team has won it, California has three since the lockout. There's 24 American teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad