Brian Burke Presser at 12:00

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...e-in-brian-burke-s-back-another-twist-dimanno

It was Burke who made the suggestion on Wednesday after getting whacked — a jettisoning that he admits struck him dumb. “There are some times when you see the vultures circling and you understand it’s coming,” Burke told reporters during a jam-packed exit press conference Saturday. “This one here was like a two-by-four upside the head to me.”

That proposal — how Burke envisioned his advisory role — was accepted by those present: Minority owner Larry Tanenbaum, Anselmi and board director Dale Lastman, all of whom have been in Burke’s corner during four months of corporate review about whither the no-heel GM, discussions triggered by new ownership, with key individuals critically outside the circle of love.

Indeed, the first scenario put to Burke — take a paid leave — he rejected outright. The optics could have been disastrous, with an open invitation for the media and public to play a scandalizing round of: Where’s Brian?

Burke thought his ongoing capacity within the organization was settled, if not specifically defined. Now he’s befuddled and further wounded. “I have no idea.”

This sheds lights on the clumsiness of Wednesday’s announcement. The ramifications were not considered ahead of that press cattle call.

They’re making it up as they go along, which is wretched management.

Has Burke been gagged to the extent of not even being permitted to talk hockey moves with his successor, Dave Nonis, which is surely the definition of “adviser”? Is the board so loathing — or fearful — of the shadow Burke casts that they would impose a hockey demilitarized zone inside this dysfunctional franchise family for the outcast?

“If Dave Nonis wants me — we’ve been friends for a long time — I’m available to him any time,” Burke declared. “I think the board, my understanding — and again, this came to light yesterday afternoon — is that they want just a little more distance.

If Burke is putting his faith in Anselmi — and Tanenbaum and Lastman — then the message hasn’t been absorbed. His supporters couldn’t save his hide at the board level where BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications now so clearly hold the hammer, sharing 75 per cent ownership of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. There’s thus no evidence they can salvage something of self-respect and relevance for Burke in the aftermath of the bloodletting.

If the objective is to manoeuvre Burke, a proud man, into quitting instead — presumably forfeiting the year and a half salary remaining on his contract — then it’s a nasty piece of business, assuming Anselmi, Tanenbaum and Lastman even had the authority to unilaterally agree on Burke’s job definition.

Instead, it sounds very much like there’s been some blow-back upstairs. At the very least, Burke has been made to look foolish.

“It was a three-minute conversation,” Anselmi told the Star, about the hasty defining of Burke’s job. “He suggested this senior advisory role and we agreed, well, we’re going to be paying you anyway and you’re going to be in Toronto. But Brian’s role hasn’t been clarified. It’s not like you can tell anyone, ‘Hey, you can’t talk to Dave Nonis.’

“What I said to Brian yesterday was, until we figure it out, let’s just make it through me.”

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Once again Burke tries to create his own reality.

He stated numerous times throughout the opening comments that the reason he was sacked was because the Leafs did not win enough games.

Yet when asked what reason were given to him by the board, he refused to answer. This was simply his attempt to try and create a storyline for all his sycophants to swallow. No doubt part of the reason was because the Leafs continued to suck.

But I have no doubt the reality of what happened and all the things that contributed to his sacking will trickle out in the days and months to come.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
id like to see anyone flip stajan, hagman, blake, toskala etc into a contender into that span ...... the talent level of the team has improved immensly since burke took the reigns (I think coaching was one of the main sticking points for not improving.... which in my books in burkes biggest downfall) there are pieces here that will very likely lead us to success down the road thanks to burke and he certainly left the roster in much better shape than fergusson left for him

For people *****ing about a #1 center and #1 goalie, and a top ranked defence stick a sock in it im sure burke could have fixed that within the next 1.5 seasons (how many #1 centers and goalies were made available in free agency or in trades during his tenure? NOT MANY you gotta draft those types of players and unfortunantly we werent in that position). Those positions arent easy to fill but if burke wasnt fired at a random time and they let him ride the half season out to see if the team makes the playoffs he may have filled those holes (luongo available could solve our #1, if we make the playoffs and getzlaf makes it to FA we could have an inside edge, out blueline is filled with alot of depth right now thats hasnt played with our big club yet (holzer/ranger/to an extent franson) and some promising prospects in the pipeline (rielly, finn, percy etc)

And while he dont fit the "belligerent" mold looking at our prospect pool i see us getting tougher to play against in the future.

Burke was the one who looked at the roster when he took over and said he could build a contender in under 5 years with his supporters right behind him believing every word he said and attacking any non believers .

So 4 years wasn't enough time to find a number 1 c/d/g but you have complete confidence he could have filled all those holes in the next 1.5 years . What freaking sense does that make .

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Right. BUt he wasn't given a Mercedes and told to turn it inot a Rolls Royce. He was handed a Gremlin and told to turn it into a Ferrari. The results should have been expected.

NO doubt if he had performed some miracle and the LEafs finished 8th last year he still has his job.

BUt anyone who isn't disillusioned can see this franchise is way better off since he got here.

Results would have overlooked his personality but it was his personality that got him fired, not a lack of results.

Can you grasp that? I only ask because I have had issues in the past where people can't see both sides of an issue.

I don't know why you keep bringing up personality. It's purely speculative in nature. The only thing concrete we can get from Burke is that if he got results, he wouldn't have been fired.

He may have been inherited a "gremlin" but after 4 years, it's probably turned out worst than what would be expected after 4 years of aging alone. I.E. If Burke had just done nothing, finished in the bottom of the standings, just as he had, he would have accumulated assets much greater, sitting pat, then doing some of the moves he made. In that sense, he's fallen short even of one's average and linear expectations. That isn't just mediocrity, that's verging more onto failure.

Whether he would have kept his job had we finished 8th is again, speculative. It would be equivalent to me saying, he keeps his job if he won the cup last year? What's the point I'm trying to make here? That there is none, it's a hypothetical that is irrelevant to his firing. What can be judged is his tenure here, and he's not only failed on the win loss column, but he didn't do much in terms of assets.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
While 4 years probably isn't enough time to fully complete a rebuild...
if the rebuild was going properly, you should be able to see some sign of improvement.

But after four years of bottom 10 finishes, we don't score more goals, don't prevent more goals, don't win more games, and have lower rated prospects in lists created by professional nhl scouts.

Let's go to the tape, since it keeps getting used as a comparable.

Wikipedia Article said:
In 2000, Sather joined the Rangers to become their President and General Manager,[1] a position he currently holds despite not making the playoffs during his first four years at Madison Square Garden and cutting ties with many beloved Rangers, such as Adam Graves and Brian Leetch to bring in high-profile (yet unsuccessful in New York) players such as Eric Lindros, Pavel Bure, and Bobby Holik. He hired Bryan Trottier as head coach in 2002 after receiving a 93 page hand-written application for the job, despite having no head coaching experience. The former Islander great, hated by Ranger fans, was hired, and then fired 54 games in the 2002–2003 season. This was preceded by his hiring of old pal Ron Low as coach in 2000, who also proved to be a failure. Both times Sather was forced to take over as head coach; his record as Rangers coach was 33–39–11–7 over 90 games. That pushed his NHL career win total to 497, currently 10th all-time.

Record
2000–01 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 33-43-5-1 (72 pts), 7th Goals For, 30th Goals Against
2001-02 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 36-38-4-4 (80 pts), 12th Goals For, 29th Goals Against
2002-03 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 32-36-10-4 (78 pts), 18th Goals For, 22nd Goals Against
2003-04 -- 4th Atlantic, 25th League, 27-40-7-8 (69 pts), 17th Goals For, 27th Goals Against

Selections (1-3 and later round notables)
2001 -- 10. Dan Blackburn, 40. Fedor Tyutin, 74. (Traded), 79. Garth Murray
2002 -- 10. (Traded), 33. Lee Falardeau, 40. (Traded), 75. (Traded), 81. Marcus Jonsaen,
2003 -- 12. Hugh Jessiman, 43. (Traded), 50. Ivan Baranka, 75. Ken Roche, 81. (Traded)
2004 -- 06. Al Montoya, 19. Lauri Korpikoski, 24. (Traded), 36. Darin Oliver, 37. (Traded), 46. (Traded), 48. Dane Byers, 50. (Traded), 51. Bruce Graham, 60. Brandon Dubinsky, 72. (Traded), 73. Zdenek Bahensky, 80. Billy Ryan, 127. Ryan Callahan

Hmm...

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Let's go to the tape, since it keeps getting used as a comparable.

Record
2000–01 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 33-43-5-1 (72 pts), 7th Goals For, 30th Goals Against
2001-02 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 36-38-4-4 (80 pts), 12th Goals For, 29th Goals Against
2002-03 -- 4th Atlantic, 21st League, 32-36-10-4 (78 pts), 18th Goals For, 22nd Goals Against
2003-04 -- 4th Atlantic, 25th League, 27-40-7-8 (69 pts), 17th Goals For, 27th Goals Against

Selections (1-3 and later round notables)
2001 -- 10. Dan Blackburn, 40. Fedor Tyutin, 74. (Traded), 79. Garth Murray
2002 -- 10. (Traded), 33. Lee Falardeau, 40. (Traded), 75. (Traded), 81. Marcus Jonsaen,
2003 -- 12. Hugh Jessiman, 43. (Traded), 50. Ivan Baranka, 75. Ken Roche, 81. (Traded)
2004 -- 06. Al Montoya, 19. Lauri Korpikoski, 24. (Traded), 36. Darin Oliver, 37. (Traded), 46. (Traded), 48. Dane Byers, 50. (Traded), 51. Bruce Graham, 60. Brandon Dubinsky, 72. (Traded), 73. Zdenek Bahensky, 80. Billy Ryan, 127. Ryan Callahan

Hmm...

Clearly, he should have been fired after his 4th season, at the latest. The team was going nowhere. And look at all those traded picks. Oh my. What a buffoon.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On

He stated numerous times throughout the opening comments that the reason he was sacked was because the Leafs did not win enough games.
Yet when asked what reason were given to him by the board, he refused to answer. This was simply his attempt to try and create a storyline for all his sycophants to swallow. No doubt part of the reason was because the Leafs continued to suck.

But I have no doubt the reality of what happened and all the things that contributed to his sacking will trickle out in the days and months to come.

i smell BS on that..... WHY would they keep his entire regime AND promote his prodigy to be his replacement if the firing was based on ice performance? Doesnt add up to me, its more likely they didnt like the fact that they couldnt groom/manipulate him and used the lack of on ice production as an excuse to fire him. Look no futher than the press conferences for nonis' promotion and burkes farewell speech.... even at burkes lowest he looks like a confident powerfull leader.... and nonis was akward as **** (looked like a lost scared puppy). I know who I'd have more faith in running a team (and on the flipside its much clearer who the better candidate between those two an ownership group could make a puppet if those are their intentions)

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Burke was the one who looked at the roster when he took over and said he could build a contender in under 5 years with his supporters right behind him believing every word he said and attacking any non believers .

So 4 years wasn't enough time to find a number 1 c/d/g but you have complete confidence he could have filled all those holes in the next 1.5 years . What freaking sense does that make .

Considering the circumstances that we will be on the upswing eventually, a legit #1 goalie on the block, have a boatload of $$$ comming off the books and the cap comming down, ya i do ****ing think it is / was possible ..... It can also be argued that we already have a legit #1 dman... despite not being a sundin calibre leader phaneuf could be considered a satisfactory #1 dman (with a complimentary #2) and drafting an elite prospect in rielly has the potential to be the crown jewel of our dmen in the near future

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Considering the circumstances that we will be on the upswing eventually, a legit #1 goalie on the block, have a boatload of $$$ comming off the books and the cap comming down, ya i do ****ing think it is / was possible ..... It can also be argued that we already have a legit #1 dman... despite not being a sundin calibre leader phaneuf could be considered a satisfactory #1 dman (with a complimentary #2) and drafting an elite prospect in rielly has the potential to be the crown jewel of our dmen in the near future

Arguing that anything is possible doesn't make it probable . There are plenty of teams that will have or now can create cap space with the 2 buyouts so we're not alone in having cap space .

Lu's an aging goalie that may or may not a have few good years left in him and with his contract it's a huge gamble to take regardless of what the cost to aquire him is . I also think the asking price won't be as high with Burke now out of the picture . I think the last place Gilles wanted to trade him to would have been T.O. if Burke was still here .

DP isn't and has never been a good leader or a num 1 D regardless of what Burke thought . He's a good but not great D and we'll see how he performs with a more defensive coach in RC who will probably not allow him to continue to play a rooming style that has inflated his point totals here .

Reilly's an excellent prospect but a lottery pick is the reward for keeping your pick after a failed season . I'm not going to give credit to Burke for failing and actually keeping the pick .

Apr 1, 2010
Arguing that anything is possible doesn't make it probable . There are plenty of teams that will have or now can create cap space with the 2 buyouts so we're not alone in having cap space .

Lu's an aging goalie that may or may not a have few good years left in him and with his contract it's a huge gamble to take regardless of what the cost to aquire him is . I also think the asking price won't be as high with Burke now out of the picture . I think the last place Gilles wanted to trade him to would have been T.O. if Burke was still here .

DP isn't and has never been a good leader or a num 1 D regardless of what Burke thought . He's a good but not great D and we'll see how he performs with a more defensive coach in RC who will probably not allow him to continue to play a rooming style that has inflated his point totals here .

Reilly's an excellent prospect but a lottery pick is the reward for keeping your pick after a failed season . I'm not going to give credit to Burke for failing and actually keeping the pick .

:laugh::handclap:

You never disappoint.

MapleLeafGardens*

Who cares. The nightmare is over. The Ahole is gone.

The reign of the worst GM in the history of the Leafs is over!!!

This has been an awesome few days!!!!

This lol ^

And no doubt one of the reasons Burke couldn't improve the Leafs is because many NHL GM's didn't like the buffoon and wouldn't deal with him or help him out in trades.

Gungagalunga

Dec 31, 2012
Under a rock
I don't disagree with you that upper management may have an impact with the success of the franchise. Whether it handicapped Burke, I am completely speculative about, given he was provided autonomy in hockey operations. By the way, 46 years is an exaggerated number which isn't as concrete as the number itself, given the evolution of the management position and everything in-between- that is another debate in itself.

If your point is purely about timing, its sort of perpelxing as why it was centered around labeling Burke a "genius" in the first-place. Hence, why I suggested you were a fan of his persona more than his actual production. And I don't mean that in an insulting context.

Personally, timing in this case is irrelevant to me, given as Burke was given his fair share in his tenure to build the team. The only situation I can rationalize timing being an issue is that fed upon media, which the consensus appears to be based on "giving him a few months to salvage the situation". Seems more like a pedigree issue than anything. Fact of the matter is, at the end of the day, he's had 4 years. It doesn't matter if its mid-season, mid-day, mid-draft. If after 4 years of completely and utter failure, ownership suddenly doesn't have trust in that person building the team moving forward, I don't blame them at all.

Just let me know when your complacency of holding down a GM for less than 5 years has been exhausted. I'm sure you and I can have this debate in another 3-4 years when David Nonis fails, and he is in the unemployment line. You Leaf fans have become immune to firings and I don't think you realize how many quality people have been axed due to a futile player base that consistently performs below their capabilities. Maybe it's the sheer pressure of the Big Smoke, I don't know. Either way, Burke is a quality hockey guy, was my original point. Nothing more.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Your boi's gone chuck , it's time to start to start a new schtick .

It's also pretty pathetic the guy is still hanging around trying to stay invovled with the team .
He should take up posting on HFboards in his spare time instead

MapleLeafGardens*

This ^ and there are credible sources already out there that say Burke's big mouth already pissed off MLSE's board.

So Burke like usual is full of himself and full of BS. I also found it hilarious that Burke actually had the EGO to think that MLSE after firing him would let him advise Nonis. LMAO and good on MLSE for telling the EGOMANIAC he won't be involved with advising Nonis on hockey matters. Great job by our new ownership group in taking down the failed bay street buffoon.

Apr 1, 2010
Your boi's gone chuck , it's time to start to start a new schtick .

It's also pretty pathetic the guy is still hanging around trying to stay invovled with the team .

Jokes on you. NOnis has been apparently running the show anyway. Enjoy your "victory".

Say what you want. He thought he was staying as hockey advisor and then found out the ****** bag BoG kept him as advisor to them. He is gone to the first job offer.

If you didn't laugh when he told Simmons off yesterday then go cheer for another team. I hear MTL needs a boost in posters. :sarcasm:

Apr 1, 2010
Just let me know when your complacency of holding down a GM for less than 5 years has been exhausted. I'm sure you and I can have this debate in another 3-4 years when David Nonis fails, and he is in the unemployment line. You Leaf fans have become immune to firings and I don't think you realize how many quality people have been axed due to a futile player base that consistently performs below their capabilities. Maybe it's the sheer pressure of the Big Smoke, I don't know. Either way, Burke is a quality hockey guy, was my original point. Nothing more.

Where's your rock man?

Seems like a rational place to spend sometime.

Apr 1, 2010
This ^ and there are credible sources already out there that say Burke's big mouth already pissed off MLSE's board.So Burke like usual is full of himself and full of BS. I also found it hilarious that Burke actually had the EGO to think that MLSE after firing him would let him advise Nonis. LMAO and good on MLSE for telling the EGOMANIAC he won't be involved with advising Nonis on hockey matters. Great job by our new ownership group in taking down the failed bay street buffoon.

Are you actually agreeing that it was personal an not professional as to why BUrke got fired?

Thank you.

Will be copying this for future reference.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He should take up posting on HFboards in his spare time instead

What he should do is realize the TML are no longer interested in his services .

He should take some time away from the game to clear his head and get a better perspective on what went wrong here . It seems like he's in denial and can't over the fact that there valid reasons for his dismissal .

MapleLeafGardens*

This ^ :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Burke presser today was not needed and was nothing more than just another one of Burke's sideshows. Burke could very well still end up being a distraction if he's hanging around we don't need him advising us on jack MLSE should just send him packing back to the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad