Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Pesce just changed agents and may be looking for a payday. Meanwhile, Carolina is known to be pretty stringent with their internal cap structure. LeBrun’s article on the Athletic suggested they may trade him if the two parties cannot come to an agreement heading into next year.

Does Broberg + Ceci + EDM 2024 1st round pick make sense for Pesce if he agrees to a sign and trade with EDM?

Reactions: TFHockey

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Pesce just changed agents and may be looking for a payday. Meanwhile, Carolina is known to be pretty stringent with their internal cap structure. LeBrun’s article on the Athletic suggested they may trade him if the two parties cannot come to an agreement heading into next year.

Does Broberg + Ceci + EDM 2024 1st round pick make sense for Pesce if he agrees to a sign and trade with EDM?
no. If the Canes trade Pesce it will be to get better. We arent selling him for pieces. If we dont get a deal that helps us get better, we will just treat him as an own rental like Hamilton, Trocheck, etc.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

no, that's pure garbage from Carolina's POV. There's not a good fit on Edmonton for a Pesce trade that is in any way realistic for either team.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Not the kind of deal the Canes would be looking for. Not that we wanted to move Pesce, but if this change of agents marks the end for him in Carolina, we're probably looking to move him for a scoring W or a 2C. Adding to Pesce as necessary to get the better player in return.

Edmonton? There's probably nothing to talk about if RNH isn't going the other way.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t understand why the agent change means anything negative about him staying. It could be the opposite, in that he wants to stay and his old agent was off to a bad start so Pesce wanted a fresh start. Or maybe he just didn’t like the agent. Or maybe the agent is retiring, or had personal reasons to step aside.

There’s other options besides he wants to put the screws to the team. Think he recently came out and said he never wants to leave.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Giving a soon to be 30 Pesce an eight year deal seems like a terrible idea. (IF that’s the term he gets)

Carolina probably wouldn’t get the return they’d expect, and EDM probably doesn’t want to be the team to overpay him.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Brett is a hell of a player and I will have a soft spot for him whether we keep him or not. He is a top 30 defenseman if going just by defensive contributions. His offensive game is not strong, and I'd imagine he would score less points in another system. He doesn't have good offensive decision-making, and his shots are blocked more often it seems than other defenseman from the point.

I could see the Canes going 7 years for $6M per. I'm not sure if they would go much past that. Truth be told, Pesce has been really underpaid at $4.025M for six years. He may want to max out his one UFA deal, and I wouldn't blame him if he does. For him to be part of this group here, he'd probably have to take a bit of a discount.

Edit - I could also envision a scenario where we sign Pesce for 7 or 8 years and then deal him after year 4 or 5. There has been a precedent of that with McDonaugh and Duncan Keith.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You can’t let x walk for nothing is a myopic view of things. The value provided in the short-term doesn’t get erased if the player moves on. Carolina is trying to win it all here. Cap space is an asset on the backside too.

It is a strange view. Fans want their team to take big swings on guys for a few months at the trade deadline but god forbid they keep an existing player on an expiring contract.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Not the kind of deal the Canes would be looking for. Not that we wanted to move Pesce, but if this change of agents marks the end for him in Carolina, we're probably looking to move him for a scoring W or a 2C. Adding to Pesce as necessary to get the better player in return.

Edmonton? There's probably nothing to talk about if RNH isn't going the other way.

2023 1st + Olofsson :sarcasm:. Although the Sabres would definitely have to add something else.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
2023 1st + Olofsson :sarcasm:. Although the Sabres would definitely have to add something else.

13th OA is enticing, Olofsson, his contract and his ineptitude in his own zone are not.

If, and that’s a huge IF, the Canes were to deal Pesce, personally, I’d think it wouldn’t take much more than 13OA. I imagine Pesce would come with an extension in such a trade.

However, I do not think the Canes will trade Pesce unless it’s absolutely clear he is pricing himself out of CAR AND they feel like they can adequately replace him.

I’m not sold on Chatfield as a top 4 D nor is the UFA crop of RD promising. It makes the most sense for the Canes to either re-sign Pesce or bite the bullet and hold onto him past next year’s deadline.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
13th OA is enticing, Olofsson, his contract and his ineptitude in his own zone are not.

If, and that’s a huge IF, the Canes were to deal Pesce, personally, I’d think it wouldn’t take much more than 13OA. I imagine Pesce would come with an extension in such a trade.

However, I do not think the Canes will trade Pesce unless it’s absolutely clear he is pricing himself out of CAR AND they feel like they can adequately replace him.

I’m not sold on Chatfield as a top 4 D nor is the UFA crop of RD promising. It makes the most sense for the Canes to either re-sign Pesce or bite the bullet and hold onto him past next year’s deadline.

Olofsson fills the scoring winger aspect. Unfortunately he doesn’t fill the “keep RBA from committing murder” aspect.

Although in an earlier Pesce thread, I proposed 13th + Jokiharju. That might be closer to a value Carolina would consider. Especially if they think they could get the best out of Joker.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Well 13OA + Olofsson 50% retain + Jokiharju?

Maybe Jokiharju could win in a system like Canes, which is very different from Buffalo.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Maybe Jokiharju could win in a system like Canes, which is very different from Buffalo.

Not horrible, but I’d still say no and re-sign Pesce were I the Canes GM.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Giving a soon to be 30 Pesce an eight year deal seems like a terrible idea. (IF that’s the term he gets)

Carolina probably wouldn’t get the return they’d expect, and EDM probably doesn’t want to be the team to overpay him.
It’s insane to sign him for 8 yrs. 3yrs would be my preference if I was acquiring/ signing him.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

i dont mind that package if we can find 2 other teams to make a deal with.

13OA: find a team that wants to trade up and we get a really good package of picks for
The new 1st pick acquired in the above deal, plus these pieces to flip for a roster improvement. Olof would be our 4LW for depth and PP scoring because of his skating, IQ, and defense. Which would mean another season of Martinook playing 3LW, which I hope we avoid.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think there’s a fit here between Carolina and Buffalo if the Canes don’t want to meet Pesce’s contract demands but the Sabres do. We could really use an RHD like him, and I think we have pieces the Canes would be happy to get back in return.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fjordy

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Olofsson fills the scoring winger aspect. Unfortunately he doesn’t fill the “keep RBA from committing murder” aspect.

Although in an earlier Pesce thread, I proposed 13th + Jokiharju. That might be closer to a value Carolina would consider. Especially if they think they could get the best out of Joker.

I think Pesce is exactly what the Sabres need if they want to make the POs.

That said I don't know much about their players or their value.

How is Jokiharu's skating? what does he do well/badly?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

He’s an ok skater. He’s probably about average speed. He’s more of a transition dman who gets completely lost in the offensive zone. Like he’s basically a horse with blinders on when he has the puck in it.

In the d-zone, he’s… there. He gets puck watching a lot and stops moving and forgets that there might be 4 other players on the opposition who are in his zone.

But as to how much of that is him, or the lack of a defensive system Buffalo has is yours and mines best guess.

He was fine under the hockey terrorist when the team was a lot more defensive oriented.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He’s about a league average skater — not a standout strength, but also not a weakness. He’s good in transition, below average in the offensive zone, doesn’t play a mean/tough physical game. Defensively, I think he does fine when he has a defined structure to play to, but he looked lost playing the very loose offensive game the Sabres have been playing under Granato. Overall, he’s pretty meh. Kind of player you neither love nor hate, he’s just sort of there.

Probably worth noting he is still pretty young. You might see some more development out of him, especially in a more structured system.

Reactions: Stickpucker

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
How close are Morrow and Nikishin to being ready for the NHL? Cause I imagine it gets a lot easier to let someone like Pesce walk when you know you can pencil two young, stud d men into the lineup in the near future.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022

Edmonton have no cap space to make this one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad