Value of: Brett Pesce, Brady Skjei, Teuvo Teräväinen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Rumor of us shopping Pesce for futures to make a trade for EK.

So what would you offer for each of these players to clear cap space so we can trade for EK, sign Tarasenko, and maybe make another trade.

Key here is for futures or hockey trade. Like Skjei for Lindholm type of move with balance out cap.

And no. We arent adding Jarvis to Toronto in any trade.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Since the Canucks are interested:

Brett Pesce and Cruz Lucius for 2024 1st + 2025 3rd, Podkolzin.

Think that’s about the most the Canucks would be willing to give up. Personally, I don’t think Canucks should be spending assets to acquire a soon to be 29 year old defenseman. Just screams Benning desperation.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Pesce should have solid value.

Skjei…meh, he scored 18g last year, but has some warts. I don’t see too many teams with the cap space and the ability to trade for him without sending cap back.

Teravainen, after last season, has low value. Probably not worth much unless a team has another contract they want to swap for his. To dump his cap hit, the Canes may have to add an asset.

Reactions: Tryamw

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Pesce has very good value.

Given how the offseason has gone and who has cap space, Skjei and Teravainen have low to no value unless its a hockey trade.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Skjei has more value than many believe. His offensive game really started showing last season (and late the season before). Still, LHDs are worth less than RHDs. For Pesce, my guess is similar to what @Boom Boom Apathy had posted on HF 26, a mid-to late 1st and a mid-level prospect.

Given that Cruz Lucius led a bad Wisconsin team is scoring as a freshman, I'm guessing the Canes hold on to him to see what they have, especially given the contract situation next season.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So this doesn’t clear cap for you but it upgrades your offense:

Guentzel+Petry for Pesce+TT?
1688756293752.gif

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think Teuvo has nearly as much value outside of the canes than on the canes.
Agreed. He has a good chance to rebound and return to a 60-75 point player. But in the flat cap era, he's almost a negative asset. I could see him going to a team like Arizona for like nothing in return. The best use of that asset is to hang on to him and hope he rebounds.

I think Skjei should have positive value. The past two years he's scored 38 and 39 points. He plays 56 seconds per game on the PP, less than Burns, Ghostisbehere, Pesce, and Coghlan. If you put him on the second unit he would do decently well. He's only developed his shot in the last few years to find seams through screens and it's working superbly. He's capable of being a top pairing guy. The year Slavin went down in the playoffs he played some overtime games where he logged like 40+ minutes and looked good. He has not appeared to slow down at 29. I'd say Skjei is one of the better #3 defensemen in the league. He's 27th in even strength points in the league for defenseman and is a significantly better defensive player than many of the names above him in that category.

Part of me also thinks that the Karlsson thing could be a smokescreen. We could potentially just trade Skjei or Pesce at 50% and go for a forward. The value of either of those players at 50% salary would be pretty high.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Does any Canes fan have insight on what Pesce is looking for on next deal? Value would greatly increase if an extension was being considered.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Does any Canes fan have insight on what Pesce is looking for on next deal? Value would greatly increase if an extension was being considered.
Someone mentioned 6.25m x 8 in another thread and I think they "sourced" that rumour. I could see him asking for it. He undervalued himself on his last deal but still didn't get a Cup out of it (yet).

@GIN ANTONIC the replies for this thread are karma for asking for Knies lol

Reactions: Killer Orcas

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
no idea on the AAV since by all reports that wasn't the hangup in extension negotiations. The Severson AAV on a 6-8 year term is probably a good guess as to what he's looking for.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
At this point in our contention window, it's tempting to "New York Rangers" it and sign a big name just because he's a big name and we can. The character of a player, their tenacity, and fit with the team are still of paramount importance.
But that's never been our MO and seems to have failed miserably this past season.

I'm hoping there's a "mystery box" outside of Karlsson and/or Nylander and/or Tarasenko.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He changed agents shortly after Severson signed, so most believe he's looking at something around that (likely more $$$).

Someone mentioned 6.25m x 8 in another thread and I think they "sourced" that rumour. I could see him asking for it. He undervalued himself on his last deal but still didn't get a Cup out of it (yet).

@GIN ANTONIC the replies for this thread are karma for asking for Knies lol

no idea on the AAV since by all reports that wasn't the hangup in extension negotiations. The Severson AAV on a 6-8 year term is probably a good guess as to what he's looking for.

It's 8 years x 6.5 mil.
Guess the term is what is scaring Canes and rightfully so he's playing this season at 29 mostly and taking him for anything more than 5 will probably hurt down the road. Gotta assume other teams are hesitant to extend him past 34 as well. He's what Canucks need bad though just wish he was couple years younger but then Canes would probably keep him to.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think the Tarasenko thing is dead regarding the Canes. They’re going all in on EK. There’s likely a third team and contract negotiations, clauses and everything else going on. I do believe that’s where EK is going, and that Pesce is involved, going to a third team. A team who could also be retaining some on Karlsson.

We’ve always known any EK deal is going to be pretty complicated. In the end though, he’s going to add an element to the Canes that could very well put them over the top.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Think the Tarasenko thing is dead regarding the Canes. They’re going all in on EK. There’s likely a third team and contract negotiations, clauses and everything else going on. I do believe that’s where EK is going, and that Pesce is involved, going to a third team. A team who could also be retaining some on Karlsson.

We’ve always known any EK deal is going to be pretty complicated. In the end though, he’s going to add an element to the Canes that could very well put them over the top.
Complicated means more opportunity to fall apart. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad