Player Discussion Brett Howden

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
To me, from the start of camp to the last game, Andersson has been more involved and has been better than both Strome and Howden. I understand the desire to view them both at that slot, but if feels like nothing that Andersson has done has diminished that he needs to be playing more. And frankly I see no reason as to not to try him there.

andersson has not, on any planet, been better than ryan strome.

and that aint saying much because strome hasnt been more than just ok to good.

ill give you some time to withdraw/redact that statement. :popcorn:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
To me, from the start of camp to the last game, Andersson has been more involved and has been better than both Strome and Howden. I understand the desire to view them both at that slot, but if feels like nothing that Andersson has done has diminished that he needs to be playing more. And frankly I see no reason as to not to try him there.

Again, Howden didn't show he's ready but was given a chance and didn't take advantage (i.e. failed). Do you really think Andersson showed so much more than Howden to give you a hope he'll succeed?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Again, Howden didn't show he's ready but was given a chance and didn't take advantage (i.e. failed). Do you really think Andersson showed so much more than Howden to give you a hope he'll succeed?
Yes. Howden could not do it. Until yesterday, Strome looked pretty poor. Andersson has performed better than the other two in camp and to start the year was certainly more visible. If the other two cannot grab the bull by the horns, then why no?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am noticing this thread went silent after the game last night. Surprising considering this 21 year old center played his best game of the season. It's easier to be negative all the time though

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. Howden could not do it. Until yesterday, Strome looked pretty poor. Andersson has performed better than the other two in camp and to start the year was certainly more visible. If the other two cannot grab the bull by the horns, then why no?

Strome did well for long stretches last year, I completely disagree that Andersson was better than Strome at any point this year (unless you see what you want to see) and Strome is a vet, not a developing prospect.

Specifically to Strome I think a lot of people have inherent prejudice against him from being a high Isles pick and then having a largely disappointing development and performance with them and later with Oilers. After an adjustment period I was very impressed with Strome as a Ranger last year. He might be another case of a player who needed a scenery change and a right environment and specific role to finally provide a very adequate performance. You say until last game he looked poor but I again disagree as after a slow start (and not meshing with Kreider and Kakko) Strome was turning in an improving performance from game to game with other wingers. (Look at how mostly unimpressive Zibanejad was with these two last game). And while he can't carry a line - he works hard and is able to support and keep up to a degree with more skilled forwards.

Reactions: offdacrossbar

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome did well for long stretches last year, I completely disagree that Andersson was better than Strome at any point this year (unless you see what you want to see) and Strome is a vet, not a developing prospect.
I know what Strome did last year. But until last game, I think that Andersson has been better and more noticeable.
Specifically to Strome I think a lot of people have inherent prejudice against him from being a high Isles pick and then having a largely disappointing development and performance with them and later with Oilers. After an adjustment period I was very impressed with Strome as a Ranger last year. He might be another case of a player who needed a scenery change and a right environment and specific role to finally provide a very adequate performance.
I do not disagree and was one of his biggest supporters. I thought that he changed his game and earned the shot to see if he can take another step forward. But with that said, until last night, the more expectations that were placed, the worse his performance became. I would love nothing more than for him to continue to build on what he did last year.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
I think it's pretty clear that Brett's tools are perfect for the system Quinn wants to play (Big/Fast/Simple/Disruptive) while a guy like Lias is a little too cerebral and patient for his liking.

It's a shame really, because effort is not the same thing as efficiency. To make a bad analogy, DQ prefers Howden flailing about trying to tread water than to Andersson being on a pool float.

Regardless, Brett was excellent last night and even though I have my doubts about his overall upside, it's clear he can become an important cog on any NHL team if he is committed to playing like he did last night. He just needs to figure out how to be a little more "thoughtful" on some of his routes so he's not chasing the play so much on off nights.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He played really well last night. The whole team did for the most part. Like most if not all of our really young players, they can find their ways to have impacts when the team is going but they're not really capable of making the team or their line go yet. That's not all that rare for young guys who aren't crazy top prospects. Hopefully Howden and the team can find ways to make this happen more often.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Great game last night.Hopefully he is able to build on it and keep it going.If he could develop into a Steve Rucchin lite type,it would be huge for this team

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
He is not a good NHL hockey player at this precise moment in our universes history

To the A with him

Reactions: CasusBelli

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Guy is invisible at best on the ice every time he's out there and coach sees nothign wrong with this...

I don't hate Howden but this blind spot the coaches seem to have for him is concerning because it also seems like it may be hindering his development.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I mean, letting Howden be this bad just to let Andersson rot screams that DQ has something personal with Lias.

At some point, maybe Quinn should question "am I a hockey God? Or is it possible I've been wrong about Howden/Andersson". It seems like at this point if he can swallow his pride and give Andersson a try out for more than 2 minutes, we may get some sort of answer that helps us moving forward.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, letting Howden be this bad just to let Andersson rot screams that DQ has something personal with Lias.

At some point, maybe Quinn should question "am I a hockey God? Or is it possible I've been wrong about Howden/Andersson". It seems like at this point if he can swallow his pride and give Andersson a try out for more than 2 minutes, we may get some sort of answer that helps us moving forward.

A change in the line-up doesn't always have to be about a guy deserving to move up. It should also be about a guy forcing to be moved down. Lias has not been bad in the role he was given, but Howden has. What's the harm in at least trying something else? But it isn't happening any time soon unfortunately. Ideally, both go to Hartford and Nieves centers the 4th line

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Nothing is going to happen in the bottom 6 as long as the Rangers are putting in good efforts. Howden looks bad. Has since day one. He's always just gaining the line and dumping it in. Playing it safe, never wants the puck and is always getting knocked down. Zero offensive IQ. Has no hands, no shot.

I think he could be a great 4th line Center and PK player. That's what you need.

However for the Lias supporters, Lias has been just as bad if not worse. Unfortunately Lias might need to move to wing and play 4th line as well. Def. not deserving of a top 9 role with his play that's for sure.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
At one point in the 3rd they showed TOI and Howden had more than Chytil. Not sure how it ended but c'mon that's nuts.

Reactions: haveandare

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
At one point in the 3rd they showed TOI and Howden had more than Chytil. Not sure how it ended but c'mon that's nuts.
He had more total time on ice, mainly because of the PK. Chytil had more time 5v5, but the difference was like 20 seconds, which is crazy if you watch the last 7 games.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's really disappointing so far imo. Gotta hope he can improve, and he's definitely still young enough to get better, but he just doesn't seem to be any better now than he was when he first played last year. Chytil looks worlds better. Lias started the year improved over last year and is kind languishing now. Howden hasn't really improved at all. He's had good games but them seem to be one offs. He should probably go down for a bit.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's really not OK at this point because taht line continues to get their teeth kicked in again and again and it's silly to expect them to be anything but terrible defensively when you have an 18 year old rookie and two second year players and none of them are good defensively yet.

One way or another that line needs a veteran on it to help them out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad