Brett Favre a Top 5 QB Ever?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
Brees is mostly a stat compiler. He is a great QB, perhaps top 15. He is clearly not in Manning's class though.
Brees has a higher career completion percentage, significantly more passing yards (+10,000), more passing TDs. I don't see how Manning is 'clearly' superior to Brees. Brees was more accurate, more productive, lasted (total regular season games) longer than Manning.. And I remember the days of the Aints, and would say Brees winning in New Orleans is more impressive than succeeding in Indy, but..
Elaborate on the obvious inferiority of Brees (?)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Brees has a higher career completion percentage, significantly more passing yards (+10,000), more passing TDs. I don't see how Manning is 'clearly' superior to Brees. Brees was more accurate, more productive, lasted (total regular season games) longer than Manning.. And I remember the days of the Aints, and would say Brees winning in New Orleans is more impressive than succeeding in Indy, but..

I have Manning in my top 3, Brees in my top 15.
That’s not a knock against Brees though.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Breese was a great fantasy option if Brady or Manning were gone..He put up good numbers in the NFC South which no one on earth care about.
Accuracy? I'm not buying that .

member 51464

Breese was a great fantasy option if Brady or Manning were gone..He put up good numbers in the NFC South which no one on earth care about.
Accuracy? I'm not buying that .
The numbers are what they are. Brees had a higher career completion percentage and Manning had .02 more yards per attempt than Brees.

Though I'll point out that poster is rounding generously for Brees. He had 8400 more pass yards, not 10k+. Though Brees also had a higher career QB rating too.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I do not really care about completion percentage. It is greatly influenced by the type of offense you run. Brees's last few years, he had a great completion percentage yet he was totally toasted. They designed the offense for quick easy completions (which was the smart thing to do, I am not saying he did not execute well or that it makes him a lesser QB, just that completion percentage is a rather empty stat).

Drew Brees has six losing seasons and two 8-8 seasons. That's 8 out of 20 seasons. Peyton Manning has 2.

Drew Brees is 9-8 in the playoffs, including 1 ring. Manning is 14-13 including 2 rings.

Drew Brees has 0 MVPs (finished 2nd four times) . Peyton Manning has 5.

Drew Brees has great volume stats, but it did not really translate to as much team success as it did for Manning (in the RS, in the playoffs, they are relatively similar). Is that on him? Not entirely, but it keeps him firmly behind Manning in all-time rankings.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1648051323324.png

The West Coast offense rewrote the record books. I'd probably take Unitas, Baugh, Graham, Staubach, Bradshaw, Starr, Luckman, & NVB as my top QBs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I do not really care about completion percentage. It is greatly influenced by the type of offense you run. Brees's last few years, he had a great completion percentage yet he was totally toasted. They designed the offense for quick easy completions (which was the smart thing to do, I am not saying he did not execute well or that it makes him a lesser QB, just that completion percentage is a rather empty stat).

Drew Brees has six losing seasons and two 8-8 seasons. That's 8 out of 20 seasons. Peyton Manning has 2.

Drew Brees is 9-8 in the playoffs, including 1 ring. Manning is 14-13 including 2 rings.

Drew Brees has 0 MVPs (finished 2nd four times) . Peyton Manning has 5.

Drew Brees has great volume stats, but it did not really translate to as much team success as it did for Manning (in the RS, in the playoffs, they are relatively similar). Is that on him? Not entirely, but it keeps him firmly behind Manning in all-time rankings.

I don't disagree but to be fair

- Manning has pretty much always had talented teams. Especially on offence.
- He has 9 one and dones to Brees' 3
- Arguably wasn't even the best player when he won ring #1.... i.e. he got MVP in a lifetime achievement award sort of way
- He does have the 2nd ring..... thanks to Von and the boys. He was awful that game.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
No Favre is not a top 5 all time QB. My guess would be the 8-12 range but I haven’t really thought about it enough.

On a separate note, some of the hot takes in this thread are worse than the shit that resident troll ChrisK consistently spews out

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Favre is interesting because he did built up a rep for tossing picks and just not giving a f***.

But his first year in Minny was a display of high competency in executing the offense, certain far better than many QBs that have attempted to make an NFL career.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
View attachment 520688

The West Coast offense rewrote the record books. I'd probably take Unitas, Baugh, Graham, Staubach, Bradshaw, Starr, Luckman, & NVB as my top QBs.
Those are names that definitely belong in the discussion for the top tier all-time. But it’s as silly to say none of the 80s-current QBs are among the best ever as it is to say none of the pre-80s guys are.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Brees is mostly a stat compiler. He is a great QB, perhaps top 15. He is clearly not in Manning's class though.
As the years drag on, the way we view stats is definitely going to change. This new Era is totally geared towards offense and protecting the QB. Not to mention sports medicine continues to evolve and players are going to play longer and be able to compile more career stats.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't disagree but to be fair

- Manning has pretty much always had talented teams. Especially on offence.
- He has 9 one and dones to Brees' 3
- Arguably wasn't even the best player when he won ring #1.... i.e. he got MVP in a lifetime achievement award sort of way
- He does have the 2nd ring..... thanks to Von and the boys. He was awful that game.

I'm of the opinion that Manning's second ring does absolutely nothing for his legacy. He was a detriment.

Reactions: Voight

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Favre is interesting because he did built up a rep for tossing picks and just not giving a f***.

But his first year in Minny was a display of high competency in executing the offense, certain far better than many QBs that have attempted to make an NFL career.

He was awesome that year but he also tanked Minnesota's season in the championship game with one of the worst INTs I've ever seen in such a big moment.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He was awesome that year but he also tanked Minnesota's season in the championship game with one of the worst INTs I've ever seen in such a big moment.
I was like “noooooooooo!” as soon as he started to throw against the grain.

This ain’t Detroit, man. This is the Super Bowl!!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
ah, the kevin spacey defense

sad to hear he has parkinsons, but he's still a piece of shit who deserves to be in jail

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
He isn't close to being as overrated as Bradshaw, Stabler and Namath.
Point on Namath but his influence on the game was, and is, still being felt.

Bradshaw is underrated. 4 Super Bowls - the first two he was more of a systems QB but the dirty secret is that the Steelers defense was OLD in 78 and 79 and the Steelers won because of their offense, specifically Bradshaw.

Dude threw the ball like it was a dart. Proof you didn't actually watch him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad