Brett Favre a Top 5 QB Ever?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Old timers like tittle, jurgenson, Namath need a mention as does Aikman who has 3 rings
Bart Starr probably deserves a mention to.

I have a hard time seeing Farve in the top 5. Great player and a great gunslinger.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tier I:
Montana - Best combination of leadership, clutch plays, and toughness.
Elway - Prototype QB who could beat you running as well as passing.
Brady - Most accomplished QB ever.
Manning - Most innovative QB ever.
Favre - Could make throws other QBs would never attempt.

Tier II:
Rodgers - Solid player, just not as great as the five above.
Marino - Never won the big one, which holds him back just enough.
Unitas - Suffers from playing in a more run-heavy era.
Young - Great mobility and arm, just didn't beat the Cowboys enough.
Mahomes - Tier I talent, just doesn't have the longevity yet.

Honorable Mention:
Tarkenton - If he only could win one out of the four...
Kelly - ditto
Aikman - Managed not to screw up with ultra-talented supporting cast.

Aikman is the most overrated QB in history. Give him the same career minus the championships in a city like Phoenix and he is borderline HOF IMO. He gets hyped because of the talent around him and the resulting championships as well as playing for the Boys.

Elway I would not put in the top 5.

I can't see it.

Brady, Manning, and Montana (although I never saw Joe play) seem to be the obvious top tier.

I think the current Packers QB is better than Favre, and based on what I've seen, I'd definitely put Mahomes in the top 5.

So, I guess my list is:

Brady
Manning
Montana
Rodgers
Mahomes

Too early for Mahomes to be in the top 5. Could very well be there when he retires but putting him there now is jumping the gun.

Reactions: Eco and DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think Aikman is overrated at all, I think people understand the role he played, and the game was played much differently in that time. And other QB’s were better then too, but everyone who was is in the hall of fame with him. If he played in a generation later, he’d be on the level that Eli and Flacco are.

Reactions: Voight

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Aikman is the most overrated QB in history. Give him the same career minus the championships in a city like Phoenix and he is borderline HOF IMO. He gets hyped because of the talent around him and the resulting championships as well as playing for the Boys.
He's underrated because statwhackers lose all context and ignore playoff performance.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Bart Starr probably deserves a mention to.

I have a hard time seeing Farve in the top 5. Great player and a great gunslinger.

If we are talking about top 5 gunslingers of all time:

Favre, Marino, Fouts, Roethlisberger, Elway.

Favre is definitely number 1.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does Rodgers postseason losses the past few years hurt his legacy at all?

He still has 4 MVP's and a SB MVP. Putting guys like Marino & Elway above him would be tough.

I don't hold them against him. Yea, this year he didn't play very well (neither did special teams...) but he's done his part when it comes to the playoffs. Never mind that they fired McCarthy 3 years too late and while the team has done solid drafting, they rarely make major signings or trades so the roster cpould, in theory, be "more talented"

I don't see a case for Marino or Elway to be ranked above him.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Elway I would not put in the top 5.

Too early for Mahomes to be in the top 5. Could very well be there when he retires but putting him there now is jumping the gun.

The conversation can at least be had if he's top 5. Though I admit it may be too early.

Another SB MVP and he's definitely top 5 imo. But I'm biased so idk.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The conversation can at least be had if he's top 5. Though I admit it may be too early.

Not really. He basically has the same accomplishments Terrell Davis has.

Its a lot more than a lot of guys have accomplishment but still too early for the top 5 discussions.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Vick not nearly in all time great conversation.

He said 'most exciting'. Not GOAT.

If we are speaking on just entertainment value, I'm not sure many QB's can compare to the electric of Mike Vick.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Brady is number one due to accomplishments. But Rodgers, Manning, Elway, Marino, Mahomes, Montana, Favre, and Young were more naturally gifted athletically.

I think Brady was lucky enough to be coached by the GOAT coach and have top tier defenses most years.

Well, if that's the criteria, Lamar Jackson, RGIII and Michael Vick have to be in the conversion...

To answer the thread question. Nope. Favre is not top 5. He is probably the most overrated QB ever. Great peak, but overall, not on the level of Brady, Manning, Montana, Rodgers, Elway. Not that those are necessarily my top 5, but out of the QBs I actually watched, he is behind them. I am pretty sure some historical QBs are better.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Old timers like tittle, jurgenson, Namath need a mention as does Aikman who has 3 rings
Recency bias and "stats bias".
The farther you go back the harder it was for QBs to pile up big stats and consequently most people look at what has happened in the last 20 years.
Before 1968 every game was played outdoors on natural grass and artificial turf was crap in the 70s and 80s which contributed to lots of injuries. The rules have been continually adjusted the last 30 years or so to keep both WRs and QBs from taking hits and favour the passing game. Last the game has changed from a ball control running attack dominated league to a short passing attack dominated league. QBs routinely throw 40 times a game now whereas the wasn't the case before the 2000s.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Recency bias and "stats bias".
The farther you go back the harder it was for QBs to pile up big stats and consequently most people look at what has happened in the last 20 years.
Before 1968 every game was played outdoors on natural grass and artificial turf was crap in the 70s and 80s which contributed to lots of injuries. The rules have been continually adjusted the last 30 years or so to keep both WRs and QBs from taking hits and favour the passing game. Last the game has changed from a ball control running attack dominated league to a short passing attack dominated league. QBs routinely throw 40 times a game now whereas the wasn't the case before the 2000s.
indeed!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, if that's the criteria, Lamar Jackson, RGIII and Michael Vick have to be in the conversion...

To answer the thread question. Nope. Favre is not top 5. He is probably the most overrated QB ever. Great peak, but overall, not on the level of Brady, Manning, Montana, Rodgers, Elway. Not that those are necessarily my top 5, but out of the QBs I actually watched, he is behind them. I am pretty sure some historical QBs are better.

That title belongs to John Elway.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Absolutely no.

He has 1 MVP, 1 SB, 1 SB MVP. Plenty of QBs have more.

Are you saying Kurt Warner is a Top 5 all time QB? He's got more hardware than Mahomes. He has a SB and a SB MVP as well as having 2 MVP awards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad