BREAKING: It's over. Multiple sources confirm to @PHNX_Sports that Alex Meruelo is walking away from his ownership of the Coyotes.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
tenor.gif

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Right, but two variations of the same team though.

If I asked you how many Cups the Ottawa Senators have won in their history, would you include the four they won in the 1920s?

They absolutely should. Same city and same team name. Just because there wasn't a lineal line of succession with the ownership, management, and players doesn't mean it should be taken away from that city. The banners for the NHL championships should hang in Ottawa's arena and the banners for the Jets Avco Cups (WHA Championship) should hang from Winnipeg's rafters. There is nothing wrong with instilling more team pride and reminding the fans that your city's hockey team actually won a championship, no matter how long ago it was!

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
No because there was like a 70 year gap between the two iterations.
Nobody treats the various Washington baseball teams, or the three Milwaukee baseball teams, or the two Kansas City baseball teams as continuations.

Hell, the Washington Senators who moved to Minneapolis were replaced the very next year by the team that eventually moved to Dallas, but nobody thinks of them as linked (of course, that's partly because nobody remembers the 1961-1971 Senators at all).

I frankly think it's silly and weird to treat the records earned in Winnipeg by the team that moved to Phoenix (and which, quite frankly, is now the team in Utah, whatever the paper transactions created to leave the "franchise" with Meruelo) as somehow linked to the team that currently exists in Winnipeg. The Sharks have no real link to the Golden Seals, the Jets have no real link to today's Utah Placeholders, the Stars have no real link to the Wild. The old teams moved away - that happens.

I also don't think there needs to be any "official" recognition of these sorts of things either - frankly, I think it's weird that the league office can have any say in the question of whether these sets of recordings of historical events "belong" to one group of people or another. I don't think the Jets or Coyotes or Utah Whatevers "own" Teppo Numminen's 43 assists in 95-96 - they're just a record of what happened.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Right, but two variations of the same team though.

If I asked you how many Cups the Ottawa Senators have won in their history, would you include the four they won in the 1920s?
Well, I would ask which Ottawa Senators and answer appropriately for that team. If, in the future, the NHL combined the records, I could skip the clarification step.

And what makes Jets 2.0 a variation of Jets 1.0? The fact that the owner of 2.0 chose the same name? If Chipman had gone with the Manitoba Moose name, for example, would they still be a variation of Jets 1.0?

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
By that time most full contact leagues will be using AI and look vastly different than what they are today. Enrolment continues to decline across the big leagues because of everything we now know about head injuries. More and more parents are putting their kids in other activities. By 2060-2070 sports as we know it today won't exist.
This. Robotic sports will be the new wave by then.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Uh, go back to your original post(that I responded to). "Probably get a team quicker than AM". AM had the land auction lined up, and had the rights to the Coyotes. Anyone new would have had to start from scratch. Your claim is just not true, plain and simple.
Clearly he didn't have the auction lined since well, you know. AM was always as close to a new arena as every other prospective owner nowadays would be. Not very.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad