Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Solberg is a great prospect no doubt, and fans will love his physical play, but they won't love his positiong generally and especially when he goes out of his way to make a big jig when it costs his team. Danforth will likely be a steady defensive presence that be just a solid guy besides he is a fantastic skater.

Danforth’s highly rated defensive ability gives me really good vibes

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
based on what Treliving said, sounds like Danford was the primary target all along. Just took the calculated risk of moving down, getting an extra pick and still getting their guy.

"He's a real intelligent player, real competitive guy. A right-shot defenceman. He's a guy our staff was really focused in on, and that's why we traded down. Took a chance," Treliving told Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman on the broadcast.
Here is that full supporting quote

Following the first night of the draft festivities, Treliving was asked about the trade and selection of Danford.​
"We think he's a real intelligent player, a real competitive guy, right-shot defenseman. He's a guy that our staff was really focused in on. That's why we traded down. We thought we could slide down and hopefully [have] the availability to get him later, as we did. But, you know, lots of intangibles, high character kid, moves really well, he's just sort of scratching the surface for what he could be. Right-shot defenseman, hard to find."

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Here is that full supporting quote

Following the first night of the draft festivities, Treliving was asked about the trade and selection of Danford.​
Start stockpiling picks.
Picks at key positions, picks with good character and intensity.
That way if the run it back fails moving forward, we aren’t so far behind on the next try.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
If you get a NHL defenseman it's a win. Will see this guy in maybe 5 years. Best thing he can do is just finish Jr, and cook in the minors for a while.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its certainly that in part. Maybe we score big with that 58. Who knows its luck of the draw after all. The first two rounds are well scouted out.

Without a pick in until the fourth round following Friday's first round, the deal made sense for the Leafs and head scout Wes Clark, who likes to throw as many darts at the board as possible. Acquiring the second-rounder allows him and the Leafs to throw one more dart at the board in the hopes of landing another potential Matthew Knies, who was selected with the 57th pick back in 2021.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't want to knock this pick. I have been fooling around in this thread, but I have no reason to be critical.

I do however wonder why this pick came long after the Dubas era, and even long after his dismissal.

This is the kind of player we need now. TOR will need him in the future, but this feels like a need that so many treated as an oversight.

You could almost question Robertson, Knies, Amarov, etc.

~~shoulder shrug~~

Reactions: arso40

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Danford could be Todd Gill 2.0 who was the last notable/decent defender the Leafs have selected with a late first or early second. That pick was 40 years ago!

Every other D picked since Gill with a late first or early second has been a bust. Some names include Percy, Ware, Finn, CC, Dermott, Berehowsky etc….

You can make arguments for Lily and Sandin but neither player has really developed into anything special.

Reactions: TheScandal89

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Hey guys Ducks fan coming in peace. I was super stoked to land Solberg but I think you guys got such a good player in Danford. I never understood why so many 'public rankings' were so much lower on this guy than the Solbergs, Jiriceks, and especially Emery and Elicks of this draft. He lacks a true standout physical tool but his hockey sense is so so good already and he has NHL size with legit skating skill. The offense has been coming along decent enough after playing his off side earlier this year. I see a near guaranteed 2nd line RD and in relatively short order, with potentially better offensive impacts than you guys might hope for.

Mar 12, 2009
going off the board to take a low ceiling player and passing on higher rated higher ceiling prospects does make it a bad pick at that spot

but i'm not looking for an argument so i'll agree with you that Minten was the perfect pick just like every other selection we've ever made
Maybe you are projecting because you complain about literally every move big or small this team does like it's a catastrophe. It's like you're a Leaf fan only because it gives you an outlet for your negative energy.

yeah just one or maybe i didn't feel like going through the entire f***ing draft

but hey like i said if it makes you feel better than you can believe he and every other selection we make are we the bestest one's at that time
All they did was check DB like you told them to do and gave you the results. No need to be resort to hyperbolic straw men and cattiness.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe you are projecting because you complain about literally every move big or small this team does like it's a catastrophe. It's like you're a Leaf fan only because it gives you an outlet for your negative energy.

All they did was check DB like you told them to do and gave you the results. No need to be resort to hyperbolic straw men and cattiness.
yeah it probably seems that way to a massive supporter of Burke/Dubas like you were but if you followed all my posts you'd see that your statement is far from true

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Must have been the unique work ethic and defensive acumen...

IMG_8611.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: keonsbitterness

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He’s 6’2 everyday. Sounds good.

6'2" all day every day with room to grow.

I think they picked him with the expectation he will be ready sooner rather than later. Usually low ceiling defense oriented players don't need as much development time. All he has to do is get out there and punch a few faces and I'll like him better than most of the guys on the team already.

If he actually turns out to be a pretty good defenseman too he'll be a star.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Hey guys Ducks fan coming in peace. I was super stoked to land Solberg but I think you guys got such a good player in Danford. I never understood why so many 'public rankings' were so much lower on this guy than the Solbergs, Jiriceks, and especially Emery and Elicks of this draft. He lacks a true standout physical tool but his hockey sense is so so good already and he has NHL size with legit skating skill. The offense has been coming along decent enough after playing his off side earlier this year. I see a near guaranteed 2nd line RD and in relatively short order, with potentially better offensive impacts than you guys might hope for.
What do you think of Beckett Sennecke?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
One single player has played more games than Minten who was drafted after him... how are the other 180 prospects tracking?

I agree Minten doesn't have the highest upside, he has the potential to be a good 3C, but you are acting like it was a terrible pick so I would hope there would be some better analysis.
I was surprised that you were defending a recent acquisition until I remembered Minten was acquired in the Dubas era. :laugh:

Reactions: hotpaws

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I was surprised that you were defending a recent acquisition until I remembered Minten was acquired in the Dubas era. :laugh:

I don't like the pick much, but he has improved and progressed, I prefer a higher upside in the first few rounds.

I just am requesting someone show their work on a baseless claim... the pick is better today than it was on draft day.

Why reply to me if you're just going to whine?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Just to add that Danford was only 10 years old when Matthews was drafted in 2016.

One has to wonder if Matthews will still be a Leaf when Danford is NHL ready ???

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I don't like the pick much, but he has improved and progressed, I prefer a higher upside in the first few rounds.

I just am requesting someone show their work on a baseless claim... the pick is better today than it was on draft day.

Why reply to me if you're just going to whine?
That's all this board is right now, bunch of children crying and whining because the GM didn't do what they wanted.

Just non stop crying and pretending they know more than the NHL scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00