Prospect Info: Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hey Dax, so what is your take on Yager? What type of player do you project him to be?

Hard to say, There are a lot of dimensions to his game but the standouts are his work ethic, skating, wrist shot and vision. Natural center but can play the wing when needed. His biggest issues are his size, his tendency to not use his shot enough and his defensive play isn't great but it's not massively poor. He was one of the major standouts in the Warriors disappointing Memorial Cup rounds.

I think there's a strong chance he ends up a versatile top 6 player who can work really well on a line that focuses on the cycle and generating chances through working the puck down low. He may need to add a bit of weight to his game which may affect his top end speed but we'll see. He does well enough down low in the Dub but NHL is a different animal in that regard so the added size may help him out more there. The big question on everyone's mind is likely whether he can handle top 6 C duties in the NHL. This is one of those cases where it's tough to call right now. I think there is a strong chance he ends up on the wing if you can find someone with a bit more size to put there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't get Connor vibes either. Yager has a defensive mindset to his game.

I was speaking tongue in cheek when responding to your post regarding past Lady Byng winners. Connor won it in 2022.
Considering comparisons to Jets, I wonder if Bryan Little is a decent upside comparison for Yager. Little was a bit more stocky at that age but both of them were high-scoring Cs on the smaller side with solid two-way play.

With Yager it will be all about his work ethic and focus on improving himself physically and developing his game. I think he has all the tools to be a good 2C that can add value with his goal-scoring.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
the problem with this trade is the jets lose out in size up front....2 inches and 30 lbs difference going to Pitts...size is gonna help in the playoffs specially with skilled players like McG...Pitts won this trade...80%(McG) chance vs 50% chance of becoming a regular in the nhl
This may perhaps be true, but Bryan Little was not the biggest guy..and other playmaking skills can be variables that can negate net-front presence..

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That thought crossed my mind as well

It sounds like around June 8th (day of the draft combine) was when they knew that Rutger wouldn't be a part of the org, which is about when the Ehlers talk subsided?

It is worth noting that the Jets were in on Necas also, meaning Chevy was either trying to add to the top 6 or replace Ehlers
Didn't Chevy try to trade Laine for necas... feel like he's one of those players who will end up a Jet when he's 30

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's somehow to wild to me that a sporty kid from Saskatchewan has only been to one Riders game in his life

Not everyone is a big Rider fanatic here especially the younger crowd. A lot more interest in the NFL these days.

As far as I know he's from Martensville so nearly 3 hour drive to Regina. Add onto that tickets and hotels and it's a pretty expensive day just to watch CFL football.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hard to say, There are a lot of dimensions to his game but the standouts are his work ethic, skating, wrist shot and vision. Natural center but can play the wing when needed. His biggest issues are his size, his tendency to not use his shot enough and his defensive play isn't great but it's not massively poor. He was one of the major standouts in the Warriors disappointing Memorial Cup rounds.

I think there's a strong chance he ends up a versatile top 6 player who can work really well on a line that focuses on the cycle and generating chances through working the puck down low. He may need to add a bit of weight to his game which may affect his top end speed but we'll see. He does well enough down low in the Dub but NHL is a different animal in that regard so the added size may help him out more there. The big question on everyone's mind is likely whether he can handle top 6 C duties in the NHL. This is one of those cases where it's tough to call right now. I think there is a strong chance he ends up on the wing if you can find someone with a bit more size to put there.

It seems he's doing exactly what your advocating. He indicated he was really working on his strength to compete against NHL strength players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Considering comparisons to Jets, I wonder if Bryan Little is a decent upside comparison for Yager. Little was a bit more stocky at that age but both of them were high-scoring Cs on the smaller side with solid two-way play.

With Yager it will be all about his work ethic and focus on improving himself physically and developing his game. I think he has all the tools to be a good 2C that can add value with his goal-scoring.
Another # 2 center like Bryan Little would serve us very well in the future. We would still need a #1 center to replace Schiefele down the line. Maybe we see a one two punch of Lambert and Yager in the future. At least the hope exists with our top 2 prospects (according to our vote) both being centers. I can't remember that happening in the past.

Reactions: RabidOne and ps241

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Leading PIM guy in NCAA had 79 vs Rutger's 6

Rutger wasn't even in the top 1000

Will Smith had 14, Cutter Gauthier had 18 and Cellibrini also had 18 (to counter your "good player" theory)... and Gabe Perrault had 29

It's not like they're having a tea party out there

He plays physical, but without a lot of grit. Nothing wrong with that per se, but he's not a prototypical power forward a la Tkachuk/Lowry
Will Smith?
Heard he had quite a slapper as well :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another # 2 center like Bryan Little would serve us very well in the future. We would still need a #1 center to replace Schiefele down the line. Maybe we see a one two punch of Lambert and Yager in the future. At least the hope exists with our top 2 prospects (according to our vote) both being centers. I can't remember that happening in the past.
Agree that the Jets will ultimately need a replacement for Scheifele at 1C. It's too early to know if a combination of Lambert and Yager will be able to fit as a 1-2 C combination. The next stages in development for both of them will be crucial. Maybe Perfetti or Lucius get into that conversation, but they are long shots for different reasons.

It would be a relatively small C combination but there are top teams that have used smaller Cs and supplemented with more size and skill on the wing and in the bottom 6 (Tampa Bay, for example). If the Jets end up transitioning to Cs like Lambert and Yager then they probably need to add some wingers with size and finishing ability. Barlow is a really good fit. Vilardi is still young and can probably complement fast and skilled C, too.

If the Jets aren't able to nab a true franchise C (they are very rare), then they might need to build a team with lots of depth in skill and speed. They have a nice start on that project and they can build around them.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah then we can hear people bitch about how he's not a legit 2c 🤪

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It seems he's doing exactly what your advocating. He indicated he was really working on his strength to compete against NHL strength players.

Yeah I'd imagine that would have been what the Pens asked him to focus on and likely the Jets will aks the same. His game is really tailored around the cycle so being able to continue to do that at the NHL level where working down low gets harder will be crucial to him being a better player.

A Scheif replacement is going to be crucial to keeping this ride going. I fear we are unlikely to get that out of Lambert, Yager, Lucius or Perfetti. They all seem like they are more 1W/2C types of players. We are going to need a bigger element at 1C. Someone with some combination of size/ shooting/two-way ability/high end playmaking. We are going to need a big gamebreaker if we have any hopes of winning a Cup with the next core.

The unfortunate part about that is that is usually done at the top of the draft. We gonna have to be bad for a season or two, at the right time, for that to likely pan out.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agree that the Jets will ultimately need a replacement for Scheifele at 1C. It's too early to know if a combination of Lambert and Yager will be able to fit as a 1-2 C combination. The next stages in development for both of them will be crucial. Maybe Perfetti or Lucius get into that conversation, but they are long shots for different reasons.

It would be a relatively small C combination but there are top teams that have used smaller Cs and supplemented with more size and skill on the wing and in the bottom 6 (Tampa Bay, for example). If the Jets end up transitioning to Cs like Lambert and Yager then they probably need to add some wingers with size and finishing ability. Barlow is a really good fit. Vilardi is still young and can probably complement fast and skilled C, too.

If the Jets aren't able to nab a true franchise C (they are very rare), then they might need to build a team with lots of depth in skill and speed. They have a nice start on that project and they can build around them.
I hear a lot of people saying that Scheifele must cede the #1C position, but I think of Ducky's career and I don't think he ever was a winger, maybe occasionally in Buffalo. And for those who remember Ducky playing he was no defensive ace, that was Steen, Boschman and Ron Wilson on the Jets 1.0. Though it is fair to say that the role of centre has changed over the years with defensive systems that categorize forwards 1-3.

Ducky's prodigy has been fortunate to play with better wingers than Dale ever did, but I wonder of you have another centre like Perfetti who can learn how to cover the high ice (away from Ehlers who does the same) and the plays around the defensive goal line, between the circles, can you prolong Scheif's centre career. Because trying to replace him with someone who isn't there yet seems like a snub. Scheif legitimately earned the #1C job from Maurice in 2015, dropping Little into a more defensive role, and to replace him I feel like somebody has to do that legitimately, from the 2C spot.

If this is in fact Ehlers last year is Yager the kind of player you would want to replace him with?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hear a lot of people saying that Scheifele must cede the #1C position, but I think of Ducky's career and I don't think he ever was a winger, maybe occasionally in Buffalo. And for those who remember Ducky playing he was no defensive ace, that was Steen, Boschman and Ron Wilson on the Jets 1.0. Though it is fair to say that the role of centre has changed over the years with defensive systems that categorize forwards 1-3.

Ducky's prodigy has been fortunate to play with better wingers than Dale ever did, but I wonder of you have another centre like Perfetti who can learn how to cover the high ice (away from Ehlers who does the same) and the plays around the defensive goal line, between the circles, can you prolong Scheif's centre career. Because trying to replace him with someone who isn't there yet seems like a snub. Scheif legitimately earned the #1C job from Maurice in 2015, dropping Little into a more defensive role, and to replace him I feel like somebody has to do that legitimately, from the 2C spot.

If this is in fact Ehlers last year is Yager the kind of player you would want to replace him with?

I think most talk of replacing him is for a couple years down the line when he no longer can adequately do the job. Honestly the last thing we need is another Wheeler situation where he keeps his spot well past his expiration date due to nepotism.

If someone emerges from our stables that looks like they might be able to do the job then I think they will need to be given an opportunity. Much like how Scheifele needed an opportunity to take the top C spot. If Mark is a real pro like Little he'll graciously cede the role when it's time and when an appropriate successor emerges.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I'd imagine that would have been what the Pens asked him to focus on and likely the Jets will aks the same. His game is really tailored around the cycle so being able to continue to do that at the NHL level where working down low gets harder will be crucial to him being a better player.

A Scheif replacement is going to be crucial to keeping this ride going. I fear we are unlikely to get that out of Lambert, Yager, Lucius or Perfetti. They all seem like they are more 1W/2C types of players. We are going to need a bigger element at 1C. Someone with some combination of size/ shooting/two-way ability/high end playmaking. We are going to need a big gamebreaker if we have any hopes of winning a Cup with the next core.

The unfortunate part about that is that is usually done at the top of the draft. We gonna have to be bad for a season or two, at the right time, for that to likely pan out.

Which should fit in well with what we have/are building. Most of our offensive guys are better off of the cycle/in zone rotation. He should fit in well with guys like Perfetti, Vilardi, Scheifele, and even KC.

Hard to say, you don't need size to be a top C (Aho, Point come to mind). But this org imo needs to actually commit to giving time in the NHL for young C's to find their way otherwise we never groom one. They all seem to get integrated on the wing and then org gets comfortable with them there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think most talk of replacing him is for a couple years down the line when he no longer can adequately do the job. Honestly the last thing we need is another Wheeler situation where he keeps his spot well past his expiration date due to nepotism.

If someone emerges from our stables that looks like they might be able to do the job then I think they will need to be given an opportunity. Much like how Scheifele needed an opportunity to take the top C spot. If Mark is a real pro like Little he'll graciously cede the role when it's time and when an appropriate successor emerges.
Honestly there is no one better. He's still getting results. Maybe not with KC but just look at the Jets record without him and I think we have an undervalued underappreciated player. Dale Hawerchuk at least never had to worry about social media scrutiny, just Mike Smith and trying to beat the Gretzky/Messier combo, which modern day has reappeared in Edmonton, and Scheif did what Ducky couldn't.

Given his own maturation process at 22, making the climb to being the top dog, I'd say that process is a couple of years from fruition, at minimum.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly there is no one better. He's still getting results. Maybe not with KC but just look at the Jets record without him and I think we have an undervalued underappreciated player. Dale Hawerchuk at least never had to worry about social media scrutiny, just Mike Smith and trying to beat the Gretzky/Messier combo, which modern day has reappeared in Edmonton, and Scheif did what Ducky couldn't.

Given his own maturation process at 22, making the climb to being the top dog, I'd say that process is a couple of years from fruition, at minimum.

As I said it's for a few years down the line and if someone emerges. Clearly Noone has as of now. But I don't think he's undervalued, he's an average one C at this point in his career. But you need better then that to consistently contend and win in the league these days.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea it pretty much has to be a top 5 type pick or getting really lucky. Right now the NHL has a list of the top 20 centres (not saying I agree with it) but 9 of the top 10 were drafted in the top 5 of their respective draft years.

We need to bottom out by accident one season and then get really lucky on a lottery option on the right draft year.

Malcsta

Mar 15, 2024
So correct me if im wrong but Yager cant play in the AHL this year?
Wheres he going to end up? Moose Jaw, then AHL, then NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad