Bratt & J. Hughes or B.Tkachuk & Stutzle?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Bratt & J. Hughes

Votes: 156 59.3%
  • B.Tkachuk & Stutzle

Votes: 102 38.8%
  • Can't decide, flip a coin

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Personally I voted Bratt and Hughes because I think Hughes has separation from the others and hockey is a strong-link game.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Ottawa duo got a combined 160 more minutes on the power play lmao, because ottawa got 80 more power plays than NJD that year.

They scored at a lower rate at even strength, they scored at a (significantly) lower rate on the PP.

I'd recommend reading up on the Simpson's Paradox:

Simpson's Paradox

Also, better players all around?? Stutzle and Tkachuk are worse defensively than Jack and Bratt
All I hear was excuses. They were more productive and had a bigger impact physically than the NJ duo.

There’s nothing wrong admitting they’re better. That doesn’t make Hughes or Bratt less desirable players.

Reactions: bert

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
All I hear was excuses. They were more productive and had a bigger impact physically than the NJ duo.

There’s nothing wrong admitting they’re better. That doesn’t make Hughes or Bratt less desirable players.
Once again.

Bratt and Hughes were more productive on the PP (hughes especially was nearly TWICE as productive as tkachuk)
Bratt and Hughes were more productive even strength
Bratt and Hughes gave up less defensively

Ottawa got a ton more PPs than NJD (they also took a lot more penalties).

Now, I do give credit to stutzle for how many penalties he draws. And against most guys, that argument would hold weight. Unfortunately, hughes and bratt have a better penalty differential than tkachuk and stutzle.

Tkachuk and Stutzle draw more, but they also take about 8 times as many penalties as Jack and Bratt, putting large amounts of strain on ottawas 29th ranked PP last year

Downgrade the Montreal players by about one degree in every single one of these. Choose three comps that you're really bullish on to remain unchanged. That's about right.
The confusion stems from the fact that it is a PROJECTION for MTL approximately 5 years from now, vs the current iterations of the other players.

I will say they are optimistic projections for Slaf and Demidov to become equivalent to Tkachuk and Marner.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I said until last year they had similar trajectories. Last year Tim played through a bad wrist injury which limited his ability to shoot, which explains his drop in points. Tim needs to put up near 100 this year to keep pace but considering his previous trajectory it doesn't seem like a stretch.

Both players have had very good starts to their careers playing in their first year of eligibility.

Tim Stützle

D+1 0.55 ppg
D+2 0.73 ppg
D+3 1.18 ppg

Jack Hughes

D+1 0.34 ppg
D+2 0.55 ppg
D+3 1.14 ppg
By D+3 Stutzle was already quite a bit behind Jack in P/60.

And then you can't simply give stutzle credit for something he didn't do.

Jack played with a shoulder injury all year, and guess what he STILL did.

3.41 points/60. 0.15 higher than Stutzles career high.

Healthy jack is significantly ahead of healthy stutzle. Injured Jack is significantly ahead of injured stutzle

Jack became a 3.81 points/60 player in D+4
Stutzle dropped to 2.65

Stutzle was closer to in points/60 to Brett Leason (351st in the league), than he was to D+4 Jack

That and tim stutzle being nowhere close EV

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bert

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Once again.

Bratt and Hughes were more productive on the PP (hughes especially was nearly TWICE as productive as tkachuk)
Bratt and Hughes were more productive even strength

Bratt and Hughes gave up less defensively

Ottawa got a ton more PPs than NJD (they also took a lot more penalties).

Now, I do give credit to stutzle for how many penalties he draws. And against most guys, that argument would hold weight. Unfortunately, hughes and bratt have a better penalty differential than tkachuk and stutzle.

Tkachuk and Stutzle draw more, but they also take about 8 times as many penalties as Jack and Bratt, putting large amounts of strain on ottawas 29th ranked PP last year
Explain to me how that works then. If Bratt and Hughes were so much more productive on the PP and more productive at even strength, how is it that they got outproduced overall? Math isn’t mathing.

Stutzle and Tkachuk also were way more involved physically and their puck win battles/hits are on another universe compared to Hughes and Bratt.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Explain to me how that works then. If Bratt and Hughes were so much more productive on the PP and more productive at even strength, how is it that they got outproduced overall? Math isn’t mathing.

Stutzle and Tkachuk also were way more involved physically and their puck win battles/hits are on another universe compared to Hughes and Bratt.
READ IT

Jack and Bratt better EV
Jack and Bratt better on PP

PP is easier to score on than at EV (common sense)

Tkachuk and Stutzle get a significantly amount of their time on the PP

Also FYI Jack (3.81) and bratt (3.08) still had better overall production than Stutzle and Tkachuk (both 3.26 p/60).

They had approximately the same EV ice time.

Stutzle and Tkachuk got an extra 160 minutes of PP time (again, Jack and Bratt had better penalty differentials).

It is why it is often important to seperate everything into 3 categories (PP, PK EV).

You are giving extra credit to Tkachuk and Stutzle because they play on a team that generates a lot of penalties both way, while NJD plays much more disciplined hockey.

Of course, you will not give any blame to Tkachuk or Stutzle for the goals that ottawa surrendered with them in the box.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Lmao I haven’t read the whole thread just went out there to say my peace. I see now that they are triggered when someone don’t pick their homer duo.

NJD duo = 26 & 23 years old
Ottawa duo = 22 & 24 years old.

NJ team in general is more mature and have much bette depth everywhere. Switch players from one team to another and you’ll see way different result.

Sure. I think both Stutzle and Tkachuk are a better duo if I wanted to build off a winning team. I believe their style of play is perfect for a long playoff runs and when given the chance, they will have better team results than the smallish Hughes and Bratt. On top of that, Hughes seems to be injured more often than not.

One last thing, I think together both Stutzle and Tkachuk have more growth left in their game than Hughes and Bratt.
Now, NJD may even have a lower penalty results both ways considering they shipped out high penalty (both ways) guys like McLeod, Miller, Wood, Bahl, and Smith over the last 2 years, for guys who have been lower penalty events, especially defensively going from Bahl/Smith/Marino/Miller to Pesce/Dillon/Hamilton

Tkachuk and Stutzle would be wise to play a more disciplined brand of hockey next year.

The PP/PK did not help ottawa this past year.

an 18% PP, and a PK that gives up goals at 25% means 1 penalty drawn is not as beneficial as the harm one penalty taken causes.

Now, if you're an elite special teams unit like Carolina, NYR, or Edmonton, you should be trying to create as much ruckus as possible. Since NHL refs often approximately even up penalties, the more penalties you take, the more you will likely draw.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
When I see this poster, I can't forget about this post in the Montreal potential thread :

Toronto: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly: Matthews>Slaf, Marner=Demidov, Nylander>Suzuki, Reilly=Caufield
Boston: Pasta, McAvoy, Marchand, Swayman: Pasta>Slaf, McAvoy>Demidov, Marchand<Suzuki, Swayman>Caufield
Buffalo: Dahlin, Tage, Tuch, Cozens: Dahlin>Slaf, Tage<Demidov, Tuch<Suzuki, Cozens>Caufield
Florida: do I even have to?
Detroit: Seider=Slaf, Demidov>Raymond, Larkin=Suzuki, Debrincat>Caufield
Ottawa: Tkachuk=Slaf, Demidov>Sanderson, Stutzle=Suzuki, Caufield>Batherson
MTL: obviously will be better than they are currently
Tampa: Point>Slaf, Kucherov>Demidov, Hedman=Suzuki, Guentzel>Caufield

So I am not putting a lot of credibility on what he says to be honest
You’re the guy that said Bratt was comparable to Connor Brown :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
READ IT

Jack and Bratt better EV
Jack and Bratt better on PP

PP is easier to score on than at EV (common sense)

Tkachuk and Stutzle get a significantly amount of their time on the PP

Also FYI Jack (3.81) and bratt (3.08) still had better overall production than Stutzle and Tkachuk (both 3.26 p/60).

They had approximately the same EV ice time.

Stutzle and Tkachuk got an extra 160 minutes of PP time (again, Jack and Bratt had better penalty differentials).

It is why it is often important to seperate everything into 3 categories (PP, PK EV).

You are giving extra credit to Tkachuk and Stutzle because they play on a team that generates a lot of penalties both way, while NJD plays much more disciplined hockey.

Of course, you will not give any blame to Tkachuk or Stutzle for the goals that ottawa surrendered with them in the box.

My god, you’re going in length in trying to justify why the duo so are so invested in because of your homer bias was outproduced by two players you feel should be inferior but aren’t.

Now, NJD may even have a lower penalty results both ways considering they shipped out high penalty (both ways) guys like McLeod, Miller, Wood, Bahl, and Smith over the last 2 years, for guys who have been lower penalty events, especially defensively going from Bahl/Smith/Marino/Miller to Pesce/Dillon/Hamilton

Tkachuk and Stutzle would be wise to play a more disciplined brand of hockey next year.

The PP/PK did not help ottawa this past year.

an 18% PP, and a PK that gives up goals at 25% means 1 penalty drawn is not as beneficial as the harm one penalty taken causes.

Now, if you're an elite special teams unit like Carolina, NYR, or Edmonton, you should be trying to create as much ruckus as possible. Since NHL refs often approximately even up penalties, the more penalties you take, the more you will likely draw.
Maybe they should be more careful, but that usually comes from being more physically engaged and not being a parameter player. You’re ought to take more penalties.

At the end of the day, it’s pretty simple. Hughes is the better player of the 4 (when healthy) but Bratt doesn’t sniff Stutzle or Tkachuk when it comes to value that each player bring on the ice. That’s just the reality of it.

And I will say it again, I would be way more comfortable building a winning team with Stutzle and Tkachuk rather than Hughes and Bratt. It’s not really a debate for me.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My god, you’re going in length in trying to justify why the duo so are so invested in because of your homer bias was outproduced by two players you feel should be inferior but aren’t.

Maybe they should be more careful, but that usually comes from being more physically engaged and not being a parameter player. You’re ought to take more penalties.

At the end of the day, it’s pretty simple. Hughes is the better player of the 4 (when healthy) but Bratt doesn’t sniff Stutzle or Tkachuk when it comes to value that each player bring on the ice. That’s just the reality of it.

And I will say it again, I would be way more comfortable building a winning team with Stutzle and Tkachuk rather than Hughes and Bratt. It’s not really a debate for me.
Trying to explain basic statistics and common sense?

Your problem (and the problem with a lot of people's understanding of statistics) is the complete lack of valuation of taking penalties/penalty killing on anyone but the goalie.

Since you will NEVER take a look at PK metrics for players, how many penalties players take, and PK isn't contributing to box score numbers. You will have completely ignored a massive part of hockey. Killing penalties and staying out of the box.

You do the same with MTL. A big part of why MTL and Ottawa sucked was because they ranked bottom 10 in terms of PK goals against. In fact, all of the bottom 7 teams in the league last year ranked bottom 10 in PK goals against.

Not taking penalties, and having effective PK guys is important. Just as much as drawing penalties and having an effective PP. But only 1 of those aspects you will ever recognize

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Your problem (and the problem with a lot of people's understanding of statistics) is the complete lack of valuation of taking penalties/penalty killing on anyone but the goalie.

Since you will NEVER take a look at PK metrics for players, how many penalties players take, and PK isn't contributing to box score numbers. You will have completely ignored a massive part of hockey. Killing penalties and staying out of the box.

You do the same with MTL. A big part of why MTL and Ottawa sucked was because they ranked bottom 10 in terms of PK goals against. In fact, all of the bottom 7 teams in the league last year ranked bottom 10 in PK goals against.

Not taking penalties, and having effective PK guys is important. Just as much as drawing penalties and having an effective PP. But only 1 of those aspects you will ever recognize
I don't blame them, Hab's fans had a whole decade or more of having smaller players up and down the lineup. Gomez, Gionta, etc, Who always got knocked off the puck easy. They want some Hulk smash in their lives even if if the course correction went way to far in the opposite direction.

Ottawa always has liked their big boys for a long time.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't blame them, Hab's fans had a whole decade or more of having smaller players up and down the lineup. Gomez, Gionta, etc, Who always got knocked off the puck easy. They want some Hulk smash in their lives even if if the course correction went way to far in the opposite direction.

Penalty killing is perpertually underrated.

Doesn't go as a -

Won't effect box score stats for any players (just your goalies).

If team A gives up 100 PP goals and scores 100 PP goals, they are net 0.

If team B gives up 40 PP goals and scores 50 PP goals, they are net +10.

But all these fans would ever see or think about is how team A's stars have jacked up point totals.

Jack and Bratt have led elite level PP production when on the ice, much better than Stutzle and Tkachuk

Interestingly enough, Tkachuk has what I'd refer to as "fake" expected goals on the PP. He has consistently, for his entire career of about 6 years, vastly underperformed his PP expected goals by massive margins (because he's just shoving pucks into goalies pads). Overall he has 42 career PP goals on 79 career expected PP goals.

6 straight years of this means it's a pattern, not a coincidence

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Oh don't worry, I understand basic facts well enough. Your sole argument on why Hughes and Bratt were better was that they have a better PIM diff. (which isn't even true if you take into account fight majors/misconducts & Coincidental minors which is a net neutral over a game). Let's dive into some of those stats you completely ignored because it didn't fit your narrative:

The Bratt & Hughes duo had a higher giveaway total over the course of the season despite having less overall TOI than the Tkachuk/Stutzle duo.

The Bratt & Hughes duo had a total of 34 hits through the season compared to the Stutzle/ Tkachuk duo who had almost 900% more hits total. They were not engaged physically in the game - at all.

The Bratt & Hughes duo had much easier deployment overall than the Stutzle/Tkachuk duo.

The Stutzle/Tkachuk duo had almost double the puck battle wins combined (in terms of %) than the Bratt/Hughes duo through the year.

The Stutzle/Tkachuk duo had 1 point (combined) total more than the Bratt/Hughes duo. They played the same exact same number of games combined.

It's not the first time you're being called out for pick-pocketing one very little statistic to try and prove a point while ignoring the rest. You've also been called out for trying to twist different sets of statistics to fit your narrative (hint hint deployments)

You can't point at penalty and say "That's the reason why the Ottawa combo sucks" without even bothering to look further into the stats. The PIM total includes fights and misconducts, which counts into the total PIM diff. Take out the 5 min fight majors, misconducts and Coincidental minors and all of a sudden the combined PIM differential turns into favorable stats for the Stutzle/Tkachuk duo compared to the Bratt/Hughes.

Bold of you to say that when Hughes can't even stay healthy for more than 20 games at a time.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Oh don't worry, I understand basic facts well enough. Your sole argument on why Hughes and Bratt were better was that they have a better PIM diff. (which isn't even true if you take into account fight majors/misconducts & Coincidental minors which is a net neutral over a game). Let's dive into some of those stats you completely ignored because it didn't fit your narrative:

The Bratt & Hughes duo had a higher giveaway total over the course of the season despite having less overall TOI than the Tkachuk/Stutzle duo.

The Bratt & Hughes duo had a total of 34 hits through the season compared to the Stutzle/ Tkachuk duo who had almost 900% more hits total. They were not engaged physically in the game - at all.

The Bratt & Hughes duo had much easier deployment overall than the Stutzle/Tkachuk duo.

The Stutzle/Tkachuk duo had almost double the puck battle wins combined (in terms of %) than the Bratt/Hughes duo through the year.

The Stutzle/Tkachuk duo had 1 point (combined) total more than the Bratt/Hughes duo. They played the same exact same number of games combined.

It's not the first time you're being called out for pick-pocketing one very little statistic to try and prove a point while ignoring the rest. You've also been called out for trying to twist different sets of statistics to fit your narrative (hint hint deployments)

You can't point at penalty and say "That's the reason why the Ottawa combo sucks" without even bothering to look further into the stats. The PIM total includes fights and misconducts, which counts into the total PIM diff. Take out the 5 min fight majors, misconducts and Coincidental minors and all of a sudden the combined PIM differential turns into favorable stats for the Stutzle/Tkachuk duo compared to the Bratt/Hughes.

Bold of you to say that when Hughes can't even stay healthy for more than 20 games at a time.
None of coincidental minors or fighting majors affect penalty differential. They cancel out. This is again, you showing your lack of knowledge regarding statistics.

Tkachuk and Stutzle actually got more favourable deployment, try again.
Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 8.57.35 AM.png

Again, nowhere did I say the ottawa combo sucks. I in fact specifically said they both have very good penalty differentials. Just not as good as Hughes/Bratt over the last 2 years.

Once again, getting 160 more PP minutes was the only edge for Ottawa. They had worse scoring rates in all facets of the game.

Sure, they had more giveaways, less hits, and won less puck battles. All very minor pieces to the final puzzle.

The rest of the puzzle is why Hughes and Bratt finished with significantly better goal shares, and expected goal shares.

Try Hischier. He's still better than Stutzle, but at least now it's a debate if you want the Physicality or Tkachuk or the Defense of Nico (Hint, defense is what actually helps teams win hockey games)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
None of coincidental minors or fighting majors affect penalty differential. They cancel out. This is again, you showing your lack of knowledge regarding statistics.

Tkachuk and Stutzle actually got more favourable deployment, try again.
View attachment 900965

Again, nowhere did I say the ottawa combo sucks. I in fact specifically said they both have very good penalty differentials. Just not as good as Hughes/Bratt over the last 2 years.

Once again, getting 160 more PP minutes was the only edge for Ottawa. They had worse scoring rates in all facets of the game.

Sure, they had more giveaways, less hits, and won less puck battles. All very minor pieces to the final puzzle.

The rest of the puzzle is why Hughes and Bratt finished with significantly better goal shares, and expected goal shares.

Try Hischier. He's still better than Stutzle, but at least now it's a debate if you want the Physicality or Tkachuk or the Defense of Nico (Hint, defense is what actually helps teams win hockey games)
I was talking about the 2022-2023 season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Poster only cares about per 60 and pace numbers,

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Poster only cares about per 60 and pace numbers,
You're going to claim it has to do from injuries, when it didn't.

Ottawa is a high volume penalty team both ways. They got an extra 70 PPs that year.

(once again, Jack and Bratt had a better penalty differential).

You are giving Tkachuk and Stutzle credit for an extra 70 power plays, while ignoring all the extra penalties they took.

Simple question, would you rather have a special teams unit that

Scores 100 PPG and gives up 100 PPG

or one that

Scores 50 PPG and gives up 40 PPG

One of these helps you win games. The other is padding stats.

Jack and Bratt have been SIGNIFICANTLY better PP weapons.

More opportunity does not equal better

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Nice, someone gets it, and points out the endless cherry picking, and ignore the rest.
34 combined hits for NJ 🤣

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Nice, someone gets it, and points out the endless cherry picking, and ignore the rest.
34 combined hits for NJ 🤣
Do stutzle and Tkachuk see the playoffs before or after they hit 1000 combined games?

Once again, you speak about wanting "winning"

And yet, things that do not contribute to winning (simply existing on a PP that gets more opportunity), you seem to be in love with.

I want a player that will make my PP as efficient as possible. That's Jack and Bratt.
I want players that will help me get more PPs than my opponent. That's Jack and Bratt
I want players that will produce at a higher rate EV. That's Jack and Bratt
I want players who are better at preventing chances against. That's Jack and Bratt.

If you want someone to get bitchy and fight someone as his team gets smoked, Tkachuk's your guy

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Hughes is far and away the best player here, and Bratt is on par or at least close with the Ottawa pair. Pretty easy choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad