Brantford Bulldogs 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
To be honest, I like a Mews trade with Brantford. I think he fits in very well. I think Boyd would prefer two ‘07s plus picks over the ‘08 since he drafted two ‘08s this year. I think a package including Radley and Avery plus picks may be the right combo on a deal like that. I’m not sure what the picks package would look like. It is always hard to judge when looking at the high end 18 year olds but it is not like Brantford is short on picks. Add MEws and one more forward and all fo a sudden the entire fortunes have changed for this year. I really did not expect Hamara and Jiricek. Game changer for sure.
If the only roster plays we loose are Radley and Avery sign me up for that trade. I am all for trading away future picks and younger players for players that we can get for this year and next.

Not to get too far ahead, but if Egorov can have a good year he could also be a trade chip in the off season to recoup some draft capital to use for next year. It would not be what we paid for Leenders because he would be another year older but it could still get us something.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the only roster plays we loose are Radley and Avery sign me up for that trade. I am all for trading away future picks and younger players for players that we can get for this year and next.

Not to get too far ahead, but if Egorov can have a good year he could also be a trade chip in the off season to recoup some draft capital to use for next year. It would not be what we paid for Leenders because he would be another year older but it could still get us something.

Goalies typically aren’t worth much unless they are of the calibre of Leenders or better. He’d likely be more valuable on your roster than as trade capital.

Reactions: Jawk

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Mews and Andonovski are two different types of defenseman. It will all depend what Brantford is looking for. I doubt they could bring in both nor could they afford to. If the goal is to contend this year and next, they’ll need a few draft picks going into next year so I don’t see them completely emptying the cupboard. Even though a year older than Mews, Andonovski will be two year player as Ottawa/Brantford can guarantee that. So in a way, there’s not much difference in acquiring either player. Both will be two year players.

The type of defenceman that they want to acquire is the question. It’ll depend on what they have on the roster currently. Last year the reason Hamara wanted out of Kitchener was because he was under utilized. Once he was traded to Brantford, his minutes went way up and he was used in a much more offensive role. His PPG went way up. The question is, does Ottawa want Hamara developed into a two-way d-man who can quarterback the PP? If that’s the answer, bringing in Mews could stunt his development. That’s when you would steer towards Andonovski. But if the need is for an offence defenceman for this year and next, and Hamara will have graduated after this year, then Mews may be the answer.

Now let’s talk about cost.
Ottawa is going to want to be compensated for a two year player in dealing Mews. Kitchener, as much as the possibility/probability that Andonovski will play an OA year in Brantford, he would be traded as a one year player as was my comparable Jorian Donovan. Therefore, it would likely cost the Bulldogs significantly more to trade for Mews.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Goalies typically aren’t worth much unless they are of the calibre of Leenders or better. He’d likely be more valuable on your roster than as trade capitaI
I agree he would not get close to what we paid for Leenders. Maybe instead of draft picks you could get a serviceable forward or a second pairing D. I'm just thinking next year when you have some holes to fill does it make sense to have two really good goalies when you have other needs to fill. Leenders is should also be more than capable of playing a high amount game. Maybe Corovic can be ready for a backup role next year.

Does anyone know where Corovic and Babin are playing?

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I agree he would not get close to what we paid for Leenders. Maybe instead of draft picks you could get a serviceable forward or a second pairing D. I'm just thinking next year when you have some holes to fill does it make sense to have two really good goalies when you have other needs to fill. Leenders is should also be more than capable of playing a high amount game. Maybe Corovic can be ready for a backup role next year.

Babin is playing for Brantford in the GOJHL, have to imagine he is practicing with the Bulldogs.

No idea on Corovic, Elite prospects doesn't have any 24/25 info on him.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Mews and Andonovski are two different types of defenseman. It will all depend what Brantford is looking for. I doubt they could bring in both nor could they afford to. If the goal is to contend this year and next, they’ll need a few draft picks going into next year so I don’t see them completely emptying the cupboard. Even though a year older than Mews, Andonovski will be two year player as Ottawa/Brantford can guarantee that. So in a way, there’s not much difference in acquiring either player. Both will be two year players.

The type of defenceman that they want to acquire is the question. It’ll depend on what they have on the roster currently. Last year the reason Hamara wanted out of Kitchener was because he was under utilized. Once he was traded to Brantford, his minutes went way up and he was used in a much more offensive role. His PPG went way up. The question is, does Ottawa want Hamara developed into a two-way d-man who can quarterback the PP? If that’s the answer, bringing in Mews could stunt his development. That’s when you would steer towards Andonovski. But if the need is for an offence defenceman for this year and next, and Hamara will have graduated after this year, then Mews may be the answer.

Now let’s talk about cost.
Ottawa is going to want to be compensated for a two year player in dealing Mews. Kitchener, as much as the possibility/probability that Andonovski will play an OA year in Brantford, he would be traded as a one year player as was my comparable Jorian Donovan. Therefore, it would likely cost the Bulldogs significantly more to trade for MTh
I get your point about Andonovski could be back as an OA, but that still uses up one of your OA spots while Mews does not.

I understand the thought that because the Sens and Bulldogs have the same ownership and many connections in management that it benefits the Bulldogs and I agree to an extent. I have a hard time thinking that the Sens would guarantee the Bulldogs that Andonovski would be back as an OA. Top priority is and should be the Senators, and if they think its best for the Sens organization if the player is in Belleville he will play in Belleville. If Hamara was a member of any other OHL team, I don't think their decision would have been any different.

Reactions: dirty12 and OMG67

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
To be honest, I like a Mews trade with Brantford. I think he fits in very well. I think Boyd would prefer two ‘07s plus picks over the ‘08 since he drafted two ‘08s this year. I think a package including Radley and Avery plus picks may be the right combo on a deal like that. I’m not sure what the picks package would look like. It is always hard to judge when looking at the high end 18 year olds but it is not like Brantford is short on picks. Add MEws and one more forward and all fo a sudden the entire fortunes have changed for this year. I really did not expect Hamara and Jiricek. Game changer for sure.

I was hoping that the Bulldogs would get Mews when they made the Morrison trade a few years ago, so I'm definitely not opposed to that idea.

I do like the fact that they could get 2 years out of him as well because the window looks like it is a 2 year window.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Egorov will be nothing but a backup this year. As such, I cannot see his value rising above a 5th and 7th round pick. If traded next year, he would be traded as a veteran backup. If Leenders were to ge t injured and Egorov had to play a serious amount of time as a starter and he proved capable, then maybe that value would change. But, again, goalies are almost worthless if they aren’t top 5 calibre starters. History would suggest that a clear 19 year old starter doesn’t exceed a 2nd and 5th which means even if Egorov were to be that injury replacement, he likely would not garner more than the 2nd and 5th. So, that is best case scenario and that requires a serious injury to Leenders.

So, really, I wouldn’t be looking at Egorov as anything next year other than a capable backup which he likely is. If next year is another go for it year then I cannot see moving Egorov. I cannot see a return that is valued more than his services as a capable backup. The return wouldn’t be worth it.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Potential OAs (05s) for next year:

D - Moore
D - Roberts

F - Brown
F - Crombie
F - Lardis .... not a chance
F - Nelson

It's not exactly the same caliber of group to this year's 04s

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was hoping that the Bulldogs would get Mews when they made the Morrison trade a few years ago, so I'm definitely not opposed to that idea.

I do like the fact that they could get 2 years out of him as well because the window looks like it is a 2 year window.

Technically speaking, the deal should be O’Donnell and a few 2nds and 3rds but I don’t think that is where it would land. I think the Radley and Avery plus two 2nds and two 3rds is probably around the right price for Mews. HE is disgruntled in Ottawa and he’s the type of player that will dictate where he goes so it isn’t an open market.

If it were a full open market and he wasn’t’ picky-choosey on where he goes, maybe it could be more but I think his value is slightly depressed.

I can say that I doubt it would be a picks only trade though. I think Boyd will need at least one body back in return.

I think Andonvski is likely the same value give or take. Again, maybe I am wrong but it doesnt’ feel like a ful market value for Mews right now.

D - Moore
D - Roberts

F - Brown
F - Crombie
F - Nelson

Yes but OAs are relatively cheap. Half the price of 19 year olds of the same calibre.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024

D - Moore
D - Roberts

F - Brown
F - Crombie
F - Nelson

Today without much deep thought I would go Crombie, Moore, Roberts.

Egorov will be nothing but a backup this year. As such, I cannot see his value rising above a 5th and 7th round pick. If traded next year, he would be traded as a veteran backup. If Leenders were to ge t injured and Egorov had to play a serious amount of time as a starter and he proved capable, then maybe that value would change. But, again, goalies are almost worthless if they aren’t top 5 calibre starters. History would suggest that a clear 19 year old starter doesn’t exceed a 2nd and 5th which means even if Egorov were to be that injury replacement, he likely would not garner more than the 2nd and 5th. So, that is best case scenario and that requires a serious injury to Leenders.

So, really, I wouldn’t be looking at Egorov as anything next year other than a capable backup which he likely is. If next year is another go for it year then I cannot see moving Egorov. I cannot see a return that is valued more than his services as a capable backup. The return wouldn’t be worth it.
Good points!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Hamara was a member of any other OHL team, I don't think their decision would have been any different.
It’s a rarity in this league for teams to use two slots on one player. Not often you see a team use an import as an overage. So if Hamara was the property of most other OHL teams, and Ottawa sent him back to Junior, he might find himself as the odd man out.

Because he is Brantford property, there’s a strategy behind Ottawa sending him back to Junior. Not only for his development, but because Brantford needs D right now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s a rarity in this league for teams to use two slots on one player. Not often you see a team use an import as an overage. So if Hamara was the property of most other OHL teams, and Ottawa sent him back to Junior, he might find himself as the odd man out.

Because he is Brantford property, there’s a strategy behind Ottawa sending him back to Junior. Not only for his development, but because Brantford needs D right now.

Not every team has two good imports and three very good OAs. Just like Loshko for Niagara, using two slots is a no brainer considering how good Hamara was for the bulldogs last season. If returned, there would be place for Gazizov too.

Reactions: Jawk and Rounder8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad