Brantford Bulldogs 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I had high hopes that this D can develop with time and have to remind myself it’s still so early. It might be best to concede that Brampton and Oshawa will just be too good to overcome and not the year to go all in. I’m not saying start trading away guys like Lardis. But maybe just stand pat and not use that draft capital for short term rentals. Take your lumps and let Radley, Krompotic, Babin and to an extent Chan( can’t see him being more than a 6 on any decent team) get experience. Maybe you hope for 3rd place win a round maybe two. Next year the guys a year older and more experienced
I thought this was the year the dogs were meant to be all in? Waving the white flag seems like such a waste after completely gutting the team over the past two years.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I thought this was the year the dogs were meant to be all in? Waving the white flag seems like such a waste after completely gutting the team over the past two years.
I would just be hesitant to go all in on a rental. The Leenders trade was different because you get him for 2 seasons (possible 3 as an OA). I would go all in for a player I get this year and next, I admit I have no idea who that would be at this time.

The team should be good next year too so I don’t know if it is this year or bust.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Yesterday at the council meeting Kim Harrison suggested they should add second level seating to the Civic and not building a new arena.

What? Can you imagine.

Never mind the logistics, you'd never be able to move through the building.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Yesterday at the council meeting Kim Harrison suggested they should add second level seating to the Civic and not building a new arena.

What? Can you imagine.

Never mind the logistics, you'd never be able to move through the building.
Its laughable. We also forgot that the rink is not to size. Lets say even you could add another 1500 or 2000 seats. What about the extra washrooms required, concession stands? Who knows even how much that would cost. There are two comments from the public that stood out to me:

1) The CAO is retiring and some members of council including the mayor wont be back therefore we should not do it. That argument makes no sense to me. There is turnover on every council. Staff retire all the time. Even the members of council that don't decide to run not all will be re-elected. I believe the next election is not until 2026. So with this logic council should just sit for the next two years and do nothing? Staff should just sit and do nothing for two years? With this logic nothing would ever get done.

2) The comment that the city needs a new hospital. Of course the city needs a new hospital. If the city was responsible for building the hospital than yes of course that would be priority. But for the love of god people the province is responsible for building the hospital. The city and surrounding area has to have 10% when the hospital is completed. It has been said many times, even if the city had the 10% tomorrow the new hospital will not be open until at least 2035 so it doesn't matter.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Its laughable. We also forgot that the rink is not to size. Lets say even you could add another 1500 or 2000 seats. What about the extra washrooms required, concession stands? Who knows even how much that would cost. There are two comments from the public that stood out to me:

1) The CAO is retiring and some members of council including the mayor wont be back therefore we should not do it. That argument makes no sense to me. There is turnover on every council. Staff retire all the time. Even the members of council that don't decide to run not all will be re-elected. I believe the next election is not until 2026. So with this logic council should just sit for the next two years and do nothing? Staff should just sit and do nothing for two years? With this logic nothing would ever get done.

2) The comment that the city needs a new hospital. Of course the city needs a new hospital. If the city was responsible for building the hospital than yes of course that would be priority. But for the love of god people the province is responsible for building the hospital. The city and surrounding area has to have 10% when the hospital is completed. It has been said many times, even if the city had the 10% tomorrow the new hospital will not be open until at least 2035 so it doesn't matter.
I can't imagine trying to get something to eat between periods if they just simply added a second level. What about private boxes? Absolute ridiculous suggestion.

Common argument in city politics is always, "let's not let this council decide". Like you said, there is always turnover on council and you need to let current council do the job.

Not that I'm defending city councils, in general they are almost always useless.

People just don't understand the hospital funding issue and are, understandable, frustrated with the process.

Another argument that has been common is the area. Yeah, it's an older part of the city that has challenges, but the best way to improve it is with this sort of redevelopment. Not to just abandon it.

Reactions: three dog night

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I can't imagine trying to get something to eat between periods if they just simply added a second level. What about private boxes? Absolute ridiculous suggestion.

Common argument in city politics is always, "let's not let this council decide". Like you said, there is always turnover on council and you need to let current council do the job.

Not that I'm defending city councils, in general they are almost always useless.

People just don't understand the hospital funding issue and are, understandable, frustrated with the process.

Another argument that has been common is the area. Yeah, it's an older part of the city that has challenges, but the best way to improve it is with this sort of redevelopment. Not to just abandon it.
Agree with your last point. In the next 10 years the lower downtown or what ever you want to call that area will look completely different also. Sports and entertainment Centres/ arenas are always best to be in the downtown area.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Agree with your last point. In the next 10 years the lower downtown or what ever you want to call that area will look completely different also. Sports and entertainment Centres/ arenas are always best to be in the downtown area.
So much better than being plopped down in a field off Garden Ave, surrounded by nothing but a parking lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad