Brantford Bulldogs 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
No surprises at all in those articles. Plans for new building in Brantford are progressing.

Hamilton building wants to attract a new full time tenant (despite insisting they were going to be concert only).

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
No surprises at all in those articles. Plans for new building in Brantford are progressing.

Hamilton building wants to attract a new full time tenant (despite insisting they were going to be concert only).
Yes we should have some more answers next week. The city has done a great job with the current Civic Centre renovations and I have been really impressed with the consultant they hired. Over the next few years, there is also going to be alot of major residential redevelopment across the street and other areas close by. Also next door at Earl Haig, there is plans to build a 20 million dollar indoor soccer and baseball facility. Brantford's population is growing fast so I am very confident we are well positioned to support the team long term.

Im pretty sure the mayor of Brantford stayed on specifically to get these project approved. For those unfamiliar he was going to resign over the summer but stayed on.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Yes we should have some more answers next week. The city has done a great job with the current Civic Centre renovations and I have been really impressed with the consultant they hired. Over the next few years, there is also going to be alot of major residential redevelopment across the street and other areas close by. Also next door at Earl Haig, there is plans to build a 20 million dollar indoor soccer and baseball facility. Brantford's population is growing fast so I am very confident we are well positioned to support the team long term.

Im pretty sure the mayor of Brantford stayed on specifically to get these project approved. For those unfamiliar he was going to resign over the summer but stayed on.
I'm fairly in touch with the Brantford politics. I l basically lived there for my high-school years.

Hoping for some good restaurants once the commercial redevelopment is completed.

Seems like the entire council is on board for all of these projects, and final arena approval is nothing more than having to go through the required process.

Reactions: three dog night

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Brian Smiley on his Twitter wrote his little weekend blurb and mentioned the injuries to Vanacker and O'Donnell.

I inquired about Bujold and he said the team is saying absolutely nothing publicly about him.

Edit: I know it's early, and it's managing the schedule/opponents, but I can't believe it's going to take until atleast home game #3 to see Leenders.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I'm fairly in touch with the Brantford politics. I l basically lived there for my high-school years.

Hoping for some good restaurants once the commercial redevelopment is completed.

Seems like the entire council is on board for all of these projects, and final arena approval is nothing more than having to go through the required process.
I’m pretty confident it will be supported. I follow council pretty closely. I could see a few councillors vote no knowing full well the vote will be yes but they will want to appear that they wanted the team to pay for everything.

You also will hear some residents say Brantford needs a new hospital and not an arena. Well of course we need a new hospital. These are the same people that don’t understand the province pays for 90% of the funding while the city/ Brant county/First Nations have to raise 10%. There is a plan already in place and even if the city raised its 10% tomorrow, the hospital will not be built for another 10 years. This is why the city will constantly say in every media release this will not impact the building of a new hospital

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024

I wonder what NHL team would want their affiliate to be in Hamilton? The current trend is to have your AHL team close by which makes sense for logistical reasons l when calling up players your not flying them in and also your fan base would most likely be fans of the NHL team which would increase a draw. I was never a fan of the AHL bulldogs because I’m a Leafs fan so the thought of cheering for Montreal prospects made zero sense.

You hear Toronto mentioned but I thought they drew ok and a huge benefit they have in keeping the team in Toronto is that there top candidates for call ups can live in Toronto throughout the season no matter what team they play for.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I wonder what NHL team would want their affiliate to be in Hamilton? The current trend is to have your AHL team close by which makes sense for logistical reasons l when calling up players your not flying them in and also your fan base would most likely be fans of the NHL team which would increase a draw. I was never a fan of the AHL bulldogs because I’m a Leafs fan so the thought of cheering for Montreal prospects made zero sense.

You hear Toronto mentioned but I thought they drew ok and a huge benefit they have in keeping the team in Toronto is that there top candidates for call ups can live in Toronto throughout the season no matter what team they play for.
Only the rumour going around, but it is the Marlies they would target first. Their lease is up at the same time Hamilton would be ready.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I thought for sure Thomas, but why not announce it?

I agree. I thought it would be Thomas as well.

Maybe they have inside knowledge that a piece that we thought wouldn't be back, will be?

Now you have me thinking the same way!lol

This team does need some size and toughness.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I agree. I thought it would be Thomas as well.

Maybe they have inside knowledge that a piece that we thought wouldn't be back, will be?

Now you have me thinking the same way!lol

This team does need some size and toughness.
Yeah, I don't know. I think we've all thought for awhile there was 0% chance Xhekaj was coming back. It seems ridiculous to even suggest it.

I don't think I'd even have him as the C over Thomas anyways. I'm sure we're all just over thinking it and they will make the expected decision during some promotional team event.

Reactions: Rounder8

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Only the rumour going around, but it is the Marlies they would target first. Their lease is up at the same time Hamilton would be ready.
I think the Marlies would be a solid draw and do better than the Bulldogs(AHL or OHL version) because it’s the baby Leafs. According to hockey DB the Marlies averaged 6500 last year and pretty solid attendance since 2012. Should be interesting to watch

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, I don't know. I think we've all thought for awhile there was 0% chance Xhekaj was coming back. It seems ridiculous to even suggest it.

I don't think I'd even have him as the C over Thomas anyways. I'm sure we're all just over thinking it and they will make the expected decision during some promotional team event.

The only other one other than Thomas that I thought was a possibility was Moore because they gave him an A at a young age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad