Brandon Wheatkings 23/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Who are we looking at for 20-year-olds for next season?
Roersma is a lock IMO, Could see Shipley as well.

I feel they should move on from Flamand personally and as someone mentioned prior in the thread not sure it makes sense for Malyavin to take up two spots.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Unless they find someone that is better than Flamand I think they keep him. Team overall should be better with big years from McQueen and Roersma ,Petr, and Hadland up front and Elick and Shipley on defence. Added to that is an impressive group of rookies led by Jacobsen,Turko, and Giorgos Not sure what they draft in the import draft.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I heard they are looking to see if they can sign a big time Euro in the draft that can grow with Jacobsen so I wouldn't be surprised if they nab someone that was drafted this year

I kind of like there team going into next season. They should be really solid to start the season and if Jacobsen and Turko can adapt like I think they could they should be up at the top

FYI they just signed Surkan

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Interesting idea to draft a high end import that would report to the WK.A defenceman or even a high end goalie. Not sure about our goalie prospects. I thought that the team might hire an experienced coach and let MM do his GM job.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Interesting idea to draft a high end import that would report to the WK.A defenceman or even a high end goalie. Not sure about our goalie prospects. I thought that the team might hire an experienced coach and let MM do his GM job.

I think McFadden is the goalie of the future for them. He has all the attributes big/tall/technical etc.. Be interesting to see how he looks in camp. But he likely goes back to play in the AAA midget league next season.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Great trade today picking up a 20 yr old forward from Portland. Marcus Nguyen is better scorer than Flammand so I am guessing Flammand will be traded. Not sure Murray is done as there will be a lot of 20’s looking for employment. He may be able to upgrade over Shipley.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Looks like the Wheat Kings are going to bid on the 2026 Memorial Cup against Kelowna. What are the chances?

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Looks like the Wheat Kings are going to bid on the 2026 Memorial Cup against Kelowna. What are the chances?
I feel strong about it. The changes to the Keystone definitely make it a much more bearable arena in terms of seating arrangements, and there's already been work to make the general fan experience better, especially with the party deck between the tunnels. Though I shudder to think how the concourse will be slammed with people during intermissions. I think Brandon does have the edge over Kelowna mainly because of logistics. You have the Canad Inns built right into the Keystone, the new Holiday Inn effectively right across the arena, and then the Clarion and Victoria Inn on the west side of town (which isn't that bad of a drive or even walk, considering I've done both many times) and even if those hotels are slammed, it's not too bad a proposition to drive the two hours from Winnipeg, especially in ideal May conditions.

Reactions: Al Camino

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's interesting that Brandon is in the running for another Memorial Cup given that it hosted not all that long ago, in 2010.

Logistically I can't see there being much of an issue, the Keystone Centre is getting some upgrades and it will be in good shape. It has aged quite well, for a 50+ year old arena it looks good with more changes in store. There are more hotels in town since 2010, and there is now daily WestJet service to Calgary which I'm sure could be upgraded that week to a larger plane to accommodate everyone.

I assume that the BWK owners are setting the stage for Jaxon Jacobson to have his moment in the national spotlight (must be nice, when I was a kid I was lucky to get a bike from my parents for my birthday, ha ha). But is the WHL on board with giving Brandon another crack at it given how some franchises have never hosted this event at all?

This where I would usually go on my obligatory rant about how Winnipeg would do a great job hosting the Memmer if Robison and the BOG hadn't stolen our franchise from us, but I'll spare you all :laugh:

Reactions: tendyguy

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
If Brandon does get selected the next couple of years will be better hockey yet. We will want to start stocking our lines now with 18/19 yr old players with better upside.

Will Kelowna have the upper hand with the final selection? They were scheduled for the mem cup in 2020 when Covid hit and it was canceled. So I think it leans toward them as a result.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Considering it usually flips back and forth and Kamloops hosted it last time I think Brandon has a good chance of getting it.

Plus they are likely still reeling from trading away their draft picks in 2021/2022/2023. They will have Iginla/Gojsic/Mittlesteadt/Price to build around but I guess it depends on how good those other non 1st round picks will be. We likely have McQueen/Elick/Hadland/Petr and maybe Bjarnson comes back for his overage. Plus Baumiller/Jacobsen/Turko/Pantelas. I predict Jacobsen will be vying for 1st overall his draft year if he keeps projecting the way he has been so that will be a big story and the WHL/CHL love their stories.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I feel strong about it. The changes to the Keystone definitely make it a much more bearable arena in terms of seating arrangements, and there's already been work to make the general fan experience better, especially with the party deck between the tunnels. Though I shudder to think how the concourse will be slammed with people during intermissions. I think Brandon does have the edge over Kelowna mainly because of logistics. You have the Canad Inns built right into the Keystone, the new Holiday Inn effectively right across the arena, and then the Clarion and Victoria Inn on the west side of town (which isn't that bad of a drive or even walk, considering I've done both many times) and even if those hotels are slammed, it's not too bad a proposition to drive the two hours from Winnipeg, especially in ideal May conditions.
There is a fantastic hotel across the street from the arena in Kelowna but I would it's pricey so maybe that's a plus for Brandon too.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
It's interesting that Brandon is in the running for another Memorial Cup given that it hosted not all that long ago, in 2010.

Logistically I can't see there being much of an issue, the Keystone Centre is getting some upgrades and it will be in good shape. It has aged quite well, for a 50+ year old arena it looks good with more changes in store. There are more hotels in town since 2010, and there is now daily WestJet service to Calgary which I'm sure could be upgraded that week to a larger plane to accommodate everyone.

I assume that the BWK owners are setting the stage for Jaxon Jacobson to have his moment in the national spotlight (must be nice, when I was a kid I was lucky to get a bike from my parents for my birthday, ha ha). But is the WHL on board with giving Brandon another crack at it given how some franchises have never hosted this event at all?

This where I would usually go on my obligatory rant about how Winnipeg would do a great job hosting the Memmer if Robison and the BOG hadn't stolen our franchise from us, but I'll spare you all :laugh:
The other thing is your team needs to be good. And Brandon should be good. If I recall when Kelowna was supposed to host in 2020 they were so bad for some reason they would have barely made the playoffs. To be fair the owners of the ICE kind of did it to themselves.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Don't even think there's been confirmation they actually put a bid in, but Medicine Hat should be the runaway favourite to host in 2026. Their team is going to be absolutely stacked for the next two years. Cap it off with McKenna going #1 overall after they host the Memorial Cup. An absolute no brainer. If they didn't put a bid in, their owners are morons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad