Player Discussion Brandon Carlo III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't think there is any doubt he is the most underrated Bruin. The snarl was the main thing missing from his repertoire, along with not asserting himself enough offensively. Been saying it since he was drafted -- dude is not as much of an offensive black hole as some make him out to be.

Monty's system has helped him do more in the offensive zone. Big thing under Monty is that last season Carlo started showing glimpses of being more physical around the crease. This season definitely even more than last. Even gives opposing players and refs a piece of his mind more than I've ever seen him do. Seems that he has become more confident in multiple areas, including showing leadership. Most consistent d-man for the Bs this season so far.
To be completely fair to Carlo, pre-concussion he was starting to show glimpses of that snarl, especially in a few playoff runs, I think those head injuries really derailed him for a few years.

Reactions: missingchicklet

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Props to him for a very good series...but that 1st Leafs goal was the most typical Carlo play ever...

Thank god that didn't end up costing them. He was easily the best defenseman for the Bruins in the series but if him slipping had cost them the game the people looking to run him out of town would have gotten more vocal

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Thank god that didn't end up costing them. He was easily the best defenseman for the Bruins in the series but if him slipping had cost them the game the people looking to run him out of town would have gotten more vocal
Highlights how stupid and uninformed some fans approach the game.:thumbd:

Reactions: NDiesel

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Props to him for a very good series...but that 1st Leafs goal was the most typical Carlo play ever...
Live at the time I was screaming and cursing the referees and blaming them for missing the trip that led to the goal. Then they showed the replay and I realized he just fell down somehow on his own. Wotherspoon was our other best defender all series long and he almost kicked the puck in the net with one second left. Inches here and there completely change narratives.

Aside from that, this was his best series in a long time.

Reactions: NDiesel

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

SUMMER VACATION​

Carlo enjoying​

some family time​

After a busy spring that included a jam-packed postseason slate and a new baby, Brandon Carlo is enjoying a more laid-back schedule this summer.

Brandon and Mayson Carlo memorably welcomed son Crew just hours before the Bruins’ Game 1 victory against the Panthers — a game in which Carlo scored.

“It’s looking a lot different with two kids, but just enjoying it, trying to get out as much as possible,” said Carlo, who also has a daughter, Wren. “Enjoy the sunshine here in Boston. I’ve been thankful to be around Boston this summer. It is so beautiful in the summertime, but for me right now, especially as July comes around, start working out and skating again, kind of knock those things off the list in the morning. So then I have the afternoons with my family.”

Like most everyone, Carlo was engaged on July 1 when free agency opened, checking reports and checking in with teammates on the comings and goings that affected the Bruins.

“I’m really interested in watching it. I love watching it. I love seeing where guys are going,” said Carlo, who isn’t scheduled to hit free agency until 2027. “And this year was interesting, too, because guys that have been here my whole time, like [Jake DeBrusk], moving on to other teams [the Canucks] and just seeing if they’re going to end up back with us or not, it’s always interesting. So, a lot there that I’m happy I don’t have to balance like higher-up management [must]. But I think we did a great job of adding players.”

Carlo said new additions usually get included in the team’s group text chat shortly after they sign, and he is among the first to embrace them.

“I’ll always reach out and just say, ‘Hi, welcome. If you need anything, let me know.’ I’m thankful to be around this organization for long enough that I can say that,” he said.

Carlo expressed excitement over the two big-ticket signings: Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov.

Carlo’s quick takes on his new mates:

Lindholm: “I feel like for me, just being a defensive guy, I really appreciate the guys who are two-way. I feel like he’s amongst the top in the league, if not at the top of the league with being two-way. There’s a lot of similar attributes to [Patrice Bergeron] . . . He’s very skilled . . . Definitely a guy that you’ve got to be aware of when he’s coming down and he just puts himself in the right areas to score goals.”

Zadorov: “I love what he brings . . . He’s a presence . . . I feel like I can learn a lot from him, for sure. Especially on the physical side of things. He’s big, he uses his body well in that facet, so I think he’s going to be a great addition.”

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Tomorrow’s Globe:

SUMMER VACATION​

Carlo enjoying​

some family time​

After a busy spring that included a jam-packed postseason slate and a new baby, Brandon Carlo is enjoying a more laid-back schedule this summer.

Brandon and Mayson Carlo memorably welcomed son Crew just hours before the Bruins’ Game 1 victory against the Panthers — a game in which Carlo scored.

“It’s looking a lot different with two kids, but just enjoying it, trying to get out as much as possible,” said Carlo, who also has a daughter, Wren. “Enjoy the sunshine here in Boston. I’ve been thankful to be around Boston this summer. It is so beautiful in the summertime, but for me right now, especially as July comes around, start working out and skating again, kind of knock those things off the list in the morning. So then I have the afternoons with my family.”

Like most everyone, Carlo was engaged on July 1 when free agency opened, checking reports and checking in with teammates on the comings and goings that affected the Bruins.

“I’m really interested in watching it. I love watching it. I love seeing where guys are going,” said Carlo, who isn’t scheduled to hit free agency until 2027. “And this year was interesting, too, because guys that have been here my whole time, like [Jake DeBrusk], moving on to other teams [the Canucks] and just seeing if they’re going to end up back with us or not, it’s always interesting. So, a lot there that I’m happy I don’t have to balance like higher-up management [must]. But I think we did a great job of adding players.”

Carlo said new additions usually get included in the team’s group text chat shortly after they sign, and he is among the first to embrace them.

“I’ll always reach out and just say, ‘Hi, welcome. If you need anything, let me know.’ I’m thankful to be around this organization for long enough that I can say that,” he said.

Carlo expressed excitement over the two big-ticket signings: Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov.

Lindholm: “I feel like for me, just being a defensive guy, I really appreciate the guys who are two-way. I feel like he’s amongst the top in the league, if not at the top of the league with being two-way. There’s a lot of similar attributes to [Patrice Bergeron] . . . He’s very skilled . . . Definitely a guy that you’ve got to be aware of when he’s coming down and he just puts himself in the right areas to score goals.”

Zadorov: “I love what he brings . . . He’s a presence . . . I feel like I can learn a lot from him, for sure. Especially on the physical side of things. He’s big, he uses his body well in that facet, so I think he’s going to be a great addition.”
Mean Carlo inbound? He’s already somewhat physical but who knows maybe he’ll finally get a mean streak. I’m not sure he should be hitting like Zadorov does though with his concussion history.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Mean Carlo inbound? He’s already somewhat physical but who knows maybe he’ll finally get a mean streak. I’m not sure he should be hitting like Zadorov does though with his concussion history.
Carlo can further disappear in the psychical side of the game with Zadorov on board. Carlo is not going to change who he is at this point. Maybe he can play less afraid now with better match ups

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Besides being one of the handful of best shut down defenders in the league and a good guy I got a kick out of Carlo in the Globe discussing July 1 FA day

“I’m really interested in watching it. I love watching it. I love seeing where guys are going.”

playing against Lindholm

“I feel like he’s amongst the top in the league, if not at the top of the league with being two-way.

There’s a lot of similarities attributes to Bergy. He’s very skilled….definitely a guy that you’ve got to be aware of when he’s coming down and he just puts himself in the right areas to score goals.”

On Zadorov

“I love what he brings…..He’s a presence…. I feel like I can learn a lot from him, for sure. Especially on the physical side of things.

He’s big, he uses his body well in that facet, so I think he’s going to be a great addition.”

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Carlo can further disappear in the psychical side of the game with Zadorov on board. Carlo is not going to change who he is at this point. Maybe he can play less afraid now with better match ups
lol he has 0.0 fear

I sit exactly in back of the right post first & third and he is not soft

80 % of the games I go to that don’t include the yutes are with friends and I’ve not heard one say Carlo is soft

I may be soft but majority of my bros are not lol

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Tomorrow’s Globe:

SUMMER VACATION​

Carlo enjoying​

some family time​

Happy for the guy! He takes a lot of crap here at times, and while he's certainly not a bruiser, he uses his size well enough to be tremendously effective defensively.

As an aside, reading his comment about getting his skating in early in the day so he can do things with his family in the afternoons, I am admittedly entirely jealous.

We all know that being a pro-athlete isn't always fun and games, but man, I'd rather be playing in the NHL over about 99.9999999999% of other jobs out there.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
lol he has 0.0 fear

80 % of the games I go to that don’t include the yutes are with friends and I’ve not heard one say Carlo is soft

IMO, people mistake him for soft because he's so positionally sound, therefore he never chases to hit. Zadorov on the other end of the spectrum will lose his position to rock someone. Different styles, both effective in their own way

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Happy for the guy! He takes a lot of crap here at times, and while he's certainly not a bruiser, he uses his size well enough to be tremendously effective defensively.

As an aside, reading his comment about getting his skating in early in the day so he can do things with his family in the afternoons, I am admittedly entirely jealous.

We all know that being a pro-athlete isn't always fun and games, but man, I'd rather be playing in the NHL over about 99.9999999999% of other jobs out there.
Siskel & Ebert

Carlo Physical

Thumbs up or down

gotta pick one without commentary

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve said it before and taken some flack for it. But an easy thumbs up from me.
Yah don’t get

I never played defense but coached them so watch breakouts, retrievals, positional hockey starting in the early 80’s

I’ve watched Carlo and my complaint was taking unnecessary hits - however that changed a lot once Monty philosophy implemented

Sometimes let Cal Cluttetbucks of world get a step on you and take the puck away and/or make them the bug

He was so much better going after pucks - more positioning and using skill as a battle of strength

Heinen actually mastered this and Poitras hopefully will

I said this on Twitter and didn’t realize till daughter pointed out the guy wants to fight me lol

Ok 25 year old wants to fight 60 year old guy because he said Carlo could probably school you

so sensitive

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Yah don’t get

I never played defense but coached them so watch breakouts, retrievals, positional hockey starting in the early 80’s

I’ve watched Carlo and my complaint was taking unnecessary hits - however that changed a lot once Monty philosophy implemented

Sometimes let Cal Cluttetbucks of world get a step on you and take the puck away and/or make them the bug

He was so much better going after pucks - more positioning and using skill as a battle of strength

Heinen actually mastered this and Poitras hopefully will

I said this on Twitter and didn’t realize till daughter pointed out the guy wants to fight me lol

Ok 25 year old wants to fight 60 year old guy because he said Carlo could probably school you

so sensitive
Coached for over 20+ years and yes good observation I agree that Carlo used to put himself in just awful positions, especially near the glass. He has gotten better.
I am rarely in Boston but was at the game right behind the glass when Ovi concussed him and I thought that might be a career ender he got hit so hard. I kept yelling spin! spin! but...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Carlo is so strong but he doesn't crush guys - that's ok. He uses his size pretty well to win battles. If he wasn't on the Bruins, fans would be looking at him like they do with Parayko ( who Carlo is more physical then ) and wish he was on the team. Bruins right side of the blueline is one of the best in the league and all of them are well under the age of 30.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Can't coach hate
Carlo has been our most-steady (steadiest?) defenseman in the playoffs the last 2 or 3 years. Over both Lindholm and McAvoy.
Absolutely no complaints from me. He even was a little more aggressive post whistle which is fine.
Adding Zadarov to be the instigator balances out the team nicely. Great balance of all around, mobility, and snarl. Just hope Lindholm can figure it out.
That blue line looks pretty damn dense at the moment!

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
lol he has 0.0 fear

I sit and watch him in second periods, so close I can tell you all of his facial defects. He in many cases will sail it up the boards or stand facing the boards until the opposing team takes it from his skates.

I know many of you just love the guy regardless, he's a great kid but he's constantly losing battles that a guy of his size should not be losing.

His strength is keeping the playing in front of him using his best asset his reach and not getting physically involved. Call it fear or soft its just not what I would expect from the biggest guy on the ice on most occasions. Can count on one hand during a season when he's knocking someone down in front of his goalie.

Unfortunately he's more often on HIS ass in front of his net, that's an another issue with him.

Hopefully the new Z can show him a few tricks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad