Player Discussion Brandon Carlo III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm torn on Carlo to be honest. I love his skating and his stick work. Those are his two truly elite skills. The rest? Sometimes I don't know.

But it doesn't matter he fits what Sweeney and Co. look for and he's going nowhere I don't think on a cash strapped team while meanwhile many would argue he's on a great contract.
Yeah he's a tough one to place. As you said, his contract is the reason I think he stays plus being the right age for this next core and a RHD, which they lack prospects at.

On the other hand I don't think you go into the offseason and not listen to some offers for him. If he can be in a package to bring back a future C for us you need to consider it, or if he can help restock the cupboard and clear some cap you also need to consider it.

I think it's also time to question if they have too many 'passive' dmen like him, who IMO don't use their size enough besides as a tool to protect the puck or clear the net. I dont need him and Lindholm to bang bodies every shift, but having two guys that big being passive is hard to watch.

Have to wonder too if his development was hampered by those concussions and he is starting to take some more steps forward after last year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah he's a tough one to place. As you said, his contract is the reason I think he stays plus being the right age for this next core and a RHD, which they lack prospects at.

On the other hand I don't think you go into the offseason and not listen to some offers for him. If he can be in a package to bring back a future C for us you need to consider it, or if he can help restock the cupboard and clear some cap you also need to consider it.

I think it's also time to question if they have too many 'passive' dmen like him, who IMO don't use their size enough besides as a tool to protect the puck or clear the net. I dont need him and Lindholm to bang bodies every shift, but having two guys that big being passive is hard to watch.

Have to wonder too if his development was hampered by those concussions and he is starting to take some more steps forward after last year.

This is pretty much exactly it in a nutshell.

Reactions: NDiesel

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm torn on Carlo to be honest. I love his skating and his stick work. Those are his two truly elite skills. The rest? Sometimes I don't know.

But it doesn't matter he fits what Sweeney and Co. look for and he's going nowhere I don't think on a cash strapped team while meanwhile many would argue he's on a great contract.
I think everyone would love him if the Bruins iced a better, more complete 2RD, the salary cap were $100m and Carlo was on the 3rd pairing.

Can't/won't happen this summer or the 2024 season, but it might be realistic after that.

Imagine a HFBruins where no one argued about Brandon Carlo.

Reactions: duffy

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
A tougher to play against player, Teams eyes light up when they see Carlo on the ice.

Nobody knows who the Bruins are trying to part ways with. Well Donny does
Well if they dump Carlo and resign Clifton I'm going to be pissed. And if they keep Forbort? Idk great, he's good at blocking shots but other than that who knows. Of course nobody knows what 'Donny' has planned but some looks obvious.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
A tougher to play against player, Teams eyes light up when they see Carlo on the ice.
I agree that the Bruins need to get tougher, but I mentioned in another thread, if the Bruins move Carlo and Grzelcyk, who are the #3D and #4D next season?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I agree that the Bruins need to get tougher, but I mentioned in another thread, if the Bruins move Carlo and Grzelcyk, who are the #3D and #4D next season?

Tommy Cross and Greg Zanon.

It’s tough because they could get a boat load for him and his lack of trade protection is huge. But asking Zboril to play top 4 on his offside next year seems like a big ask.

But if he can get you a young top six center you gotta think about it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Tommy Cross and Greg Zanon.

It’s tough because they could get a boat load for him and his lack of trade protection is huge. But asking Zboril to play top 4 on his offside next year seems like a big ask.

But if he can get you a young top six center you gotta think about it.
The crop of UFA defensemen in the offseason is pretty weak as well. If the bruins even take a look at free agency to add to the defense, it's hard to see the Bruins getting two 2nd-pairing defensemen for less than $8M.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Do you get any blame when....

In Game 2, is completely on the hook for laying a muffin up to the Panthers, failing to make an easy exit resulting in a turnover and Panthers break-away goal.

In Game 6, flubs the puck behind the net leading to the sequence that results in the tying 5-5 goal.

Is directly involved in that debacle behind the net in Game 7 resulting in the Panthers series winning goal.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Carlo looks good only because the rest of the D-corps were worse than he was.

This stuff with him always gets overlooked.

He does some of the dumbest shit you will ever see, and he tends to do it a lot in the post-season. When you are (and by all measures he is) one of the worst offensive players in the league you can't also give away free goals at crucial moments. You have to truly be a lockdown guy.

He is also so overpaid which makes it so much worse. I'd be looking to move him over anyone else this off-season.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
We got Gudas (along with picks & cap relief to sign Bert) who n the deal for McAvoy
BWWWWWWWA Putting McAvoy in the Carlo thread. You like bid soft spoken nice guys as your Defensmane ME don't.

Now if you want to see what Lindholm can fetch I'm all in. Him and Carlo can start a pickle ball team together, looks to be their level of intensity.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This stuff with him always gets overlooked.

He does some of the dumbest shit you will ever see, and he tends to do it a lot in the post-season. When you are (and by all measures he is) one of the worst offensive players in the league you can't also give away free goals at crucial moments. You have to truly be a lockdown guy.

He is also so overpaid which makes it so much worse. I'd be looking to move him over anyone else this off-season.

When he makes mistakes, they always seem to be bad ones that leave you shaking your head. A bad decision with the puck or losing his coverage on who he is defending. His mistakes increase in the playoffs when the forechecking pressure is harder (albeit you can say that about most D-men really) but combined with his propensity to make big costly mistakes it starts to add up.

The guy is easily one of the best D-men in the league at defending one-on-one off the rush but I'm not sure if that is enough to keep him around if they want to change up this mix on D. I don't see them moving him though at all.

Reactions: EverettMike

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
When he makes mistakes, they always seem to be bad ones that leave you shaking your head. A bad decision with the puck or losing his coverage on who he is defending. His mistakes increase in the playoffs when the forechecking pressure is harder (albeit you can say that about most D-men really) but combined with his propensity to make big costly mistakes it starts to add up.

The guy is easily one of the best D-men in the league at defending one-on-one off the rush but I'm not sure if that is enough to keep him around if they want to change up this mix on D. I don't see them moving him though at all.
I wonder if they would consider having him anchor the 3rd pair and try to build a D like this:

xxxx-Mac
Lindholm-xxxx
xxxx-Carlo

Go out and identify styles and players that work with each of those guys and build from there. Then you can maybe live with his gaffes a bit more when he's doing it in a more defined 3rd pair role, and potentially use Carlo as a guy who can ease the transition of young guys as well.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if they would consider having him anchor the 3rd pair and try to build a D like this:

xxxx-Mac
Lindholm-xxxx
xxxx-Carlo

Go out and identify styles and players that work with each of those guys and build from there. Then you can maybe live with his gaffes a bit more when he's doing it in a more defined 3rd pair role, and potentially use Carlo as a guy who can ease the transition of young guys as well.

It's a good idea but my concern is if you run into injuries in the playoffs and have to make changes it kinda goes out the window.

I really just want them to get bigger and stouter on D. Carlo can be part of that. But I'd also explore alternatives.

I'm ragging on Carlo but reality is on my list of D I don't want back he's like No. 6.

Reactions: duffy and NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's a good idea but my concern is if you run into injuries in the playoffs and have to make changes it kinda goes out the window.

I really just want them to get bigger and stouter on D. Carlo can be part of that. But I'd also explore alternatives.

I'm ragging on Carlo but reality is on my list of D I don't want back he's like No. 6.
I think you're giving fair criticism on him, my point of view is that I'm not sure that trading him and his 4.1 M is worth it, given the salary/price you will pay to replace him with another RHD. Going to be really interesting to see what moves the Bruins go with this offseason.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think you're giving fair criticism on him, my point of view is that I'm not sure that trading him and his 4.1 M is worth it, given the salary/price you will pay to replace him with another RHD. Going to be really interesting to see what moves the Bruins go with this offseason.

That's where I'm at too. With him, I'd almost like to do a hockey trade, a RD for a RD who are comparable. I have no idea who that may be or if they even exist.

As far as D goes, I got bigger fish to fry on this Bruins team if I'm Sweeney.

Reactions: NDiesel

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
There were some people who wanted to trade Carlo at the deadline,I wasn't one of them.

In fact I thought the best D move would be an upgrade for Gryz , Didn't understand going into the PO without a top 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad