Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Remember the optimism last summer? So many analysts were picking us to be a playoff team. Our goaltending and defense let us down but we aren't that far away. Staios, Poulin and company know what they need to do. If they can make some improvements, I'd say we're close.

These goofs talking about blowing it up and trading Tkachuk are just "sky is falling" babies who can't handle the adversity that comes with a young, inexperienced team. Have faith.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He won't have to explicitly ask out. If we suck again, then in January Nick Kypreos will say he is going to be traded, people will call him a hack, then a month later the real insiders will be comfortable enough to start hinting at it.

Then we will get the TSN pieces where Garrioch executes his order 66 on Brady, "Brady was always advertised as a great leader but the numbers don't lie and even with Mr Melnyk's willingness to spend to the cap floor, Brady was never able to lead this team to the playoffs and maybe both sides would benefit with a change of scenery."

Then he gets traded to the Golden Knights...

He doesn't have to ask for a trade because the team isn't going to risk going into July 1st 2025 with Brady even remotely unhappy because if he asks for a trade after that point with his NMC active, they will get pennies on the dollar in a trade.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
He won't have to explicitly ask out. If we suck again, then in January Nick Kypreos will say he is going to be traded, people will call him a hack, then a month later the real insiders will be comfortable enough to start hinting at it.

Then we will get the TSN pieces where Garrioch executes his order 66 on Brady, "Brady was always advertised as a great leader but the numbers don't lie and even with Mr Melnyk's willingness to spend to the cap floor, Brady was never able to lead this team to the playoffs and maybe both sides would benefit with a change of scenery."

He doesn't have to ask for a trade because the team isn't going to risk going into July 1st 2025 with Brady even remotely unhappy because if he asks for a trade after that point with his NMC active, they will get pennies on the dollar in a trade.
The Garrioch part made me lol. That actually sounds word for word like what he’d say.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't hanging up the phone on teams who ask about him. But that doesn't mean they are shopping him or even seriously listening.

As in, they know it's a coin toss that they may have to trade him next off-season. They aren't moving him for Jordan Kyrou, but if a team offered them what their vision of the best case scenario for a Brady offer is, maybe they have to hedge their position by trading him this off season.

I think maybe that's where some of the soft rumors could come from. As in, we call Chicago about Bedard, how do they respond? They laugh and hang up. Someone calls us about Brady and we respond that we would never but what would you be thinking.

There was also the supposed thing where Staios wanted to actively learn the value of all the teams assets. So we know he may have discussed Brady with other teams under the smoke screen or he is doing it for all his pieces indiscriminately. So if some of those talks were more engaged than they should have been, maybe there where the idea that Ottawa is open to a deal comes from.

As far as him saying he would never trade Brady, GMs always deny that sort of thing so you can't make anything of that. They only don't deny it when it's obvious like a Chychrun scenario.

I doubt he is traded this off-season. He 99 percent won't be, but it wouldn't shock me if he is. If they are offered a ridiculous trade return, they have to consider it if there is any remote chance he might ask out next season when the same return might not be there.

Reactions: SquidNasty

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
This Brady bedwetting seems a little much. If Melnyk and Dorion were still running things then i could see the issue. Like Stone seeing dark times ahead, i dont hold it against him too much for wanting out.

But Brady is not going to want out. This is his team. They know they can get there and they arent even really entering their window yet. We have a professional, competent management focused on the goal. It would be ridiculous for him to want out now because it's hard. It would look really bad on him. And we could just bench for him 2 years like Yashin until we got the deal we wanted since he would be forcing the rebuild anyway. Makes no sense at all.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This Brady bedwetting seems a little much. If Melnyk and Dorion were still running things then i could see the issue. Like Stone seeing dark times ahead, i dont hold it against him too much for wanting out.

But Brady is not going to want out. This is his team. They know they can get there and they arent even really entering their window yet. We have a professional, competent management focused on the goal. It would be ridiculous for him to want out now because it's hard. It would look really bad on him. And we could just bench for him 2 years like Yashin until we got the deal we wanted since he would be forcing the rebuild anyway. Makes no sense at all.
100 % I would bench him. I hated the way contracts are done since it changed. I get not wanting to wait until 31 years old to be a UFA, now it's pretty much whenever the player wants. Sign a bridge deal, load $ anyway you want, add a minor clause or two, then decide what you want to do...hold out, force a trade, anything. As soon as a player asks for a trade, all nmc, ntc, team lists should go right out the window. Those clauses are for if the team wants to trade a player, not for a player to ask for trade and then invoke the clause.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021

This is scary accurate

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Another lost season means our core just isn’t good enough. Right now it’s easy for us to say that they need better coaching, better goaltending and better “pros” around them. But if all of that happens and we still suck? I don’t think the core is young enough to justify that. I do think they’re too young to win, but that’s a lot different than playoffs.

And if the issue is that coaching or goaltending still isn’t good, or Staios didn’t make the right additions, well then how can you really have faith in management at that stage? Those moves will fall on him.

This year he was visibly sick of losing, and he looked around the league and understood how far we are. You gotta give him a glimmer of hope that’s we’re not as far as we appeared to be, at the very least, or else it’s going to feel like he’s losing his prime to this.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

You have to factor in that come July 1st 2025, Brady only has 3 years of term remaining.

Even if things are not terrible come June 2025, the Senators need to factor in the likelihood of the team competing during that window, along with whether Brady will stay. In actual application, it's not a 3 year window. It's probably a 1-2 year window because if things continue to go downhill they likely have to shop him in 2026 or 2027 to recoup assets before he walks.

So if Brady is unsatisfied in June 2025 but willing to play out another year or two, they need to think where is our team at in relation to playoffs or contending, and how likely is Brady to sign an extension on July 1st 2027. If the answers to those are murky, and the packages for him are substantial, they may have to consider trading him because once the NMC kicks in, the return is going to be very pedestrian. The Matthew Tkachuk trade was a very strange and unique circumstance that is unlikely to repeat itself.

People act like Brady is signed for another 8 years. After this season, he will rapidly approach the point where it's stay or go. Usually for teams who stink and aren't sniffing playoffs, it's when a player gets down to those final 2 years that they try to figure out if extending them is possible.

Ultimately, it has nothing to do with management. I mean, I don't know the guy, so maybe he thinks Staios is a muppet - but I doubt it. It's timing. That's all it is. You have the best forward on the team in Giroux as a UFA after the season, you have management saying playoffs 6 years into Dorion's rebuild was too high of an expectation, and Brady's NMC kicks in at the same time Giroux could possibly be gone. It's the timing of a possible rebuild or re-tool that is unlikely to satisfy a superstar who has already wasted 7 years of their prime, and the timing of the NMC preventing the Senators from maximizing his value at a later date if they hold on to him beyond June 30th 2025.

You can't even really make a wait and see argument as it pertains to letting him play through the NMC and seeing if things get better because they have 1-2 years max before he has to be dealt.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa is too easy to play against & we don't have enough players that opponents fear, Brady is one of the few. Ostapchuk & Kleven will help & hopefully they add a RD who has a mean streak. We have too much of the same thing, the 4th line has to be meaner & Batherson, Pinto & Joseph have to finish their checks every shift.

Reactions: Senovision

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
100 % I would bench him. I hated the way contracts are done since it changed. I get not wanting to wait until 31 years old to be a UFA, now it's pretty much whenever the player wants. Sign a bridge deal, load $ anyway you want, add a minor clause or two, then decide what you want to do...hold out, force a trade, anything. As soon as a player asks for a trade, all nmc, ntc, team lists should go right out the window. Those clauses are for if the team wants to trade a player, not for a player to ask for trade and then invoke the clause.
There is no clauses, until a player is eligible to be UFA.
So there would be no clause in a bridge deal, unless player had 7 years in the league or 27.

You can get a clause ie. in say year 5 of a long term deal, the first year he is eligible, for a clause.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
There is no clauses, until a player is eligible to be UFA.
So there would be no clause in a bridge deal, unless player had 7 years in the league or 27.

You can get a clause ie. in say year 5 of a long term deal, the first year he is eligible, for a clause.
Ahh. Sorry. I wiffed on that part. Some reason I thought there was an option for clauses. Maybe it was what you say in the second paragraph.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
if they trade brady this year or even within the next2-3 years i am done with this ownership. they already went cheap on head coach green that would be final nail in coffin to me to prove there no better then eugene

Reactions: Senovision

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Ottawa is too easy to play against & we don't have enough players that opponents fear, Brady is one of the few. Ostapchuk & Kleven will help & hopefully they add a RD who has a mean streak. We have too much of the same thing, the 4th line has to be meaner & Batherson, Pinto & Joseph have to finish their checks every shift.
Physicality is not this teams issue. Playing a two-way game and not floating and being lazy is the issue.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
if they trade brady this year or even within the next2-3 years i am done with this ownership. they already went cheap on head coach green that would be final nail in coffin to me to prove there no better then eugene
Not this BS again. They didn’t go cheap on HC, they chose the guy that they feel is the right fit for this team at this time. Get over it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If they trade Brady, rest assured he will have made it happen. They aren't going to be out there proactively trying to move the guy. The whole premise around any discussion of moving him is under the context of the team not improving and him wanting out. That's still just tomorrow's problem.

They're a cap team, that's already way better than Eugene could muster up.

Reactions: bicboi64

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If the team makes genuine progress I imagine Brady will be fully invested in staying next summer, if the team just repeats the past he may ask for a trade. Even if he provides a list of 3 or 4 teams the return will be very good.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I watched that Tkachuk Tim Horton's commercial where Brady, Matthew, and Keith are talking about their trading cards. Looks like Keith has eaten a few Tim bits since his retirement.;)

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Brady doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s looking to ask for a trade anytime soon.

Staios made it very clear that they are building the team around their captain.

We do like to panic early and often though. Guess that’s what happens when we’ve had a few too many kicks in the sac over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad