Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yep ,if we could pry 6 seasons out of him I think that would be great for both...6 year window,is about as far as you can push things now anyhow
could be wrong but I don't think we get him for 6. 5 is stretching it but that 5 year Matthews deal may be the new normal. Not ideal but it creates a definite window to work with. Its a longer commitment than 3 and if the Sens are for real serious about pushing for a cup it should be more than evident by then

Reactions: topshelf15

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think that's the big problem here that a lot of folks don't want to see.

If Brady deserves 8 now, does Timmy get 10 or 12 in two years? Does Bath get 6-7? Will we be giving Sanderson 8-9 after his ELC? We already gave Chabot a "max" contract that he hasn't earned yet, we can't afford to continue raising the salaries of every kid we have like this.

I know everyone loves intangibles - and they are important - but you're not supposed to add millions to a contract for them. Not in a salary cap era. You could do that back in the 1990s with Messier if you're the Rangers, but we sure as hell aren't in that world now.

Of course you pay for intangibles.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think that's the big problem here that a lot of folks don't want to see.

If Brady deserves 8 now, does Timmy get 10 or 12 in two years? Does Bath get 6-7? Will we be giving Sanderson 8-9 after his ELC? We already gave Chabot a "max" contract that he hasn't earned yet, we can't afford to continue raising the salaries of every kid we have like this.

I know everyone loves intangibles - and they are important - but you're not supposed to add millions to a contract for them. Not in a salary cap era. You could do that back in the 1990s with Messier if you're the Rangers, but we sure as hell aren't in that world now.

Brady's the prototypical leader and will get paid accordingly. Timmy would have to be an 80 point player at minimum to demand more than the $8M he'll probably get on a long-term contrast. I think you just severely underestimate how Brady can rally these guys and make everyone better with yes, his very tangible intangibles.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Also makes sense for the sens to want a bridge deal to prove his worth and worry about signing him long -term in 3 years as we'll have a better idea what type of player he truly is.

In 3 years if he keeps improving he'll demand an even higher salary and with every other kid needing to cash in at or before that point, it will become impossible to lock Tkachuk up long term. Astounding really how little foresight some people have on here.

I can see why his own camp would want the bridge deal, but as a fan, why the hell would you want that?

Reactions: aragorn and bert
Oct 10, 2010
In 3 years if he keeps improving he'll demand an even higher salary and with every other kid needing to cash in at or before that point, it will become impossible to lock Tkachuk up long term. Astounding really how little foresight some people have on here.

I can see why his own camp would want the bridge deal, but as a fan, why the hell would you want that?
Or we can sign him for 8 years 8M and see him not live up to the expectations? it's really not hard to figure out why a fan would want a player to prove his worth before handing out a franchise contract when he hasn't proven to be a franchise player ( yet) I rather pay more based on results and not hope and dreams.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Or we can sign him for 8 years 8M and see him not live up to the expectations? it's really not hard to figure out why a fan would want a player to prove his worth before handing out a franchise contract when he hasn't proven to be a franchise player ( yet) I rather pay more based on results and not hope and dreams.

Taking a chance on a guy like Tkachuk is a no-brainer because even if his numbers don't go quite as high as you'd like them to, which I doubt will be the case, he will always be a catalyst for good things happening on the ice.

Guarantee you if he signs a bridge deal he's gone in 3 years.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Taking a chance on a guy like Tkachuk is a no-brainer because even if his numbers don't go quite as high as you'd like them to, which I doubt will be the case, he will always be a catalyst for good things happening on the ice.

Guarantee you if he signs a bridge deal he's gone in 3 years.

I don't agree with the last part but I do think signing him is almost exclusively upside at this point. Outside of a player putting up stats there is a business aspect as well and while Karlsson was amazing (Alfie too) they remained the Senators little secret.

The NHL has already started to promote Brady, he is a USA born star player with charisma and a game to attract attention in every region. There is value back to the team for having a player like that as it gets them a lot more publicity. Not sure that factors in to the thought process when negotiating but there is more to Brady's value than just what he produces on the ice IMO.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

How much would he need to improve to actually be worth 8-9-10 million? that kind of salary means you're a consistent 70 point player or a ++ player in every zone. Brady right now is a consistent 50 point player who is a plus player in one zone.

What happens if we sign Brady to 8 mill and Norris, Batherson, Stutzle outperform Brady points and defense wise? IE are demonstratively better hockey players. would they not be justified asking the same 8 million or more? This isn't a sustainable way of building a team either.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
How much would he need to improve to actually be worth 8-9-10 million? that kind of salary means you're a consistent 70 point player or a ++ player in every zone. Brady right now is a consistent 50 point player who is a plus player in one zone.

What happens if we sign Brady to 8 mill and Norris, Batherson, Stutzle outperform Brady points and defense wise? IE are demonstratively better hockey players. would they not be justified asking the same 8 million or more? This isn't a sustainable way of building a team either.

Signing your best players to what they're worth is good, actually.

Also, no one has ever mentioned a figure over $8 million.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yup i think so as well - I personally prefer a bridge deal so i'll be happy if it happens.
How can you be happy with a bridge deal as a sens fan with Brady Tkachuk. Look what just happened with Stone and look what's going on with his brother. That is actually your preference?... He is a monster on a longer development path as he grows into his body. He is only going to get better. If the sens sign him to a 3 year deal he is goner with this ownership.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Our long term deals on Chabot, White, Ryan etc haven't provided any positive value. If you
Give away $1-2 million of negative value on every contract you have less money to go around. We did well off EK ‘s deal … but most other signings were better for then player than the team.

I doubt we get Brady on that undervalued EK type contract off his ELC so we are probably looking at a long term deal at best that provides equal value and more likely some negative value seasons.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brady Tkachuk is a difference maker & momentum changer. He can make a difference in a game with a big hit, a fight, a tip in front of the net, blocking the goalies vision, a great pass or a great goal at any time during a game. No other player on this team can change the game in so many different ways as Brady can now with all of his intangibles & he is only 21 yrs old & he's only going to get bigger & better.

Having said that & because of the way he plays I would prefer to see him signed long term in case he gets injured & the way he plays it's almost inevitable. Who knows what kind of shape he will be in health wise by the time he is 28 to 30 yrs old, pay him now so that we aren't stuck with a bad contract later. Of course, he will also need to want to sign long term here & that's not likely given a bridge deal could make him a ton more money if he can stay healthy throughout that time.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
could be wrong but I don't think we get him for 6. 5 is stretching it but that 5 year Matthews deal may be the new normal. Not ideal but it creates a definite window to work with. Its a longer commitment than 3 and if the Sens are for real serious about pushing for a cup it should be more than evident by then

If he won’t give up any UFA years you bridge him and hope he decides Ottawa is his home after that time.
If he demands straight to UFA you make that contract as stingy as possible

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If he won’t give up any UFA years you bridge him and hope he decides Ottawa is his home after that time.
If he demands straight to UFA you make that contract as stingy as possible

Like what Toronto did with Matthews...but with more stinge

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I would love to sign Brady to what he is worth. Overpaying for intangibles is dumb though. Intangibles are a default that should come standard with any player we draft or sign. Not something you have to overpay by 2 million to get a player to stay. Like is that even intangibles at that point? Seems more like tying up your teams hands.

I get the feeling if we were talking about Brady Smith vs Brady Tkachuk the conversation would be a lot more realistic. Brand name is powerful.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How can you be happy with a bridge deal as a sens fan with Brady Tkachuk. Look what just happened with Stone and look what's going on with his brother. That is actually your preference?... He is a monster on a longer development path as he grows into his body. He is only going to get better. If the sens sign him to a 3 year deal he is goner with this ownership.

The Sens have no choice.

Either they overpay massively or it’s a bridge deal.

Brady holds all the cards.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I have … I can’t see Brady not thinking he has the potential to make $8+ between 26-30 years old … I can’t see him giving away any of those year for <$8…

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have … I can’t see Brady not thinking he has the potential to make $8+ between 26-30 years old … I can’t see him giving away any of those year for <$8…

It not only gives him options financially but also with respect to assessing the state of the organization in a few years.

The risk is injury or declining performance and I can’t see Tkachuk betting against himself.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It not only gives him options financially but also with respect to assessing the state of the organization in a few years.

The risk is injury or declining performance and I can’t see Tkachuk betting against himself.

Agreed… he also doesn’t appear to be a financially driven player. I’m sure he wants to make his money but he speaks a lot about not being into expensive clothes and such. I think it’s about the respect of being the teams highest paid player or whatever. The family should never hurt for money.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agreed… he also doesn’t appear to be a financially driven player. I’m sure he wants to make his money but he speaks a lot about not being into expensive clothes and such. I think it’s it’s about the respect of being the teams highest paid player or whatever. The family should never hurt for money.

I think he wants to win.

If he can’t do it here he will go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad