Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Immediately after a long and thoughtful post explaining the viewpoint that he has done reasonably well, you post a hyperbolic blanket statement with absolutely no justification?
There was no thoughtful post depicting any such thing. He drove the Flames into the ground and will do the same thing here.

The leafs are my 2nd favourite team. I would love to hire someone competent for the job, but that’s not Treviling. He’s brutal.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
There was no thoughtful post depicting any such thing. He drove the Flames into the ground and will do the same thing here.

The leafs are my 2nd favourite team. I would love to hire someone competent for the job, but that’s not Treviling. He’s brutal.
Who would you hire

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

So did you not read the post, or are you just not willing to acknowledge it?

And again you post a hyperbolic blanket statement with absolutely no justification.

Reactions: colchar

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
When the new contract for Nylander kicks in it will be for a lower cap percentage than either Marner's or Tavares' when their's did.

At the time of signing for 13.84% of the cap, Tavares' best season was 38G, 86pts.

At the time of signing for 13.37% of the cap, Marner's best season was 26G, 94pts.

At the time of signing for 13.11% of the cap, Nylander's best season was 40G, 87pts.

If Tre gave Nylander an "exaggerated contract", what did Dubas give them?

I agree than Nylander is overpaid, but certainly not as badly, and Tre's not the one who set the 'overpayment' scale.

Dubas contracts are so bad, you can pretend Mitch f*cking Marner was UFA and it still looks bad.

26 goals 94 points -13.37% as RFA , 40 goals 13.11% UFA 40 goals 87 points Nylander

On the bright side, Mitch is very likely to implode this season. Someone will get him for a modest discount.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was referring to Marner, different player, different situation.
Actually a similar situation.

Maybe it has been resolved. If he won't waive there are really only two options - sign him, or let him play out the season and walk. Maybe the team has decided which.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was referring to Marner, different player, different situation.

Well, different player, same situation of walking to free agency, but with more coin in the bank.

Now, I don't know his personal demons, but that isn't NHL contract related.

Neither one of them had/have any worries with regards to their hockey careers, but if there are non-hockey issues, again that has nothing to do with his hockey/contract status.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well, different player, same situation of walking to free agency, but with more coin in the bank.

Now, I don't know his personal demons, but that isn't NHL contract related.

Neither one of them had/have any worries with regards to their hockey careers, but if there are non-hockey issues, again that has nothing to do with his hockey/contract status.
Situation isn't similar at all.
Last off season there was a more positive outlook towards the team after finally winning a round. This year, some have completely lost their minds.
No one really concerned themselves that Nylander wasn't signed in the summer, people weren't making things up about him or trying to run him out of town.
Situation really couldn't be any more different.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Situation isn't similar at all.
Last off season there was a more positive outlook towards the team after finally winning a round. This year, some have completely lost their minds.
No one really concerned themselves that Nylander wasn't signed in the summer, people weren't making things up about him or trying to run him out of town.
Situation really couldn't be any more different.
You don't really think the gobbledygook being written here or elsewhere online has any bearing on the Leafs-marner contract do you?

It isn't like the owner is calling him a coward. https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...cle_34f23404-26b9-5940-9080-b7863ea40eac.html

It isn't like there isn't a contingent here still spouting the same stuff about both, as if there is a competition for limited spots between two NHL standouts.

Both players have flaws, and both players have those flaws magnified beyond reason.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You don't really think the gobbledygook being written here or elsewhere online has any bearing on the Leafs-marner contract do you?

It isn't like the owner is calling him a coward. https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...cle_34f23404-26b9-5940-9080-b7863ea40eac.html

It isn't like there isn't a contingent here still spouting the same stuff about both, as if there is a competition for limited spots between two NHL standouts.

Both players have flaws, and both players have those flaws magnified beyond reason.
The 'gobbledygook' is far more toxic this year than last, not even remotely close.

Perhaps the contract stuff won't be the daily focus but I doubt it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The 'gobbledygook' is far more toxic this year than last, not even remotely close.

Perhaps the contract stuff won't be the daily focus but I doubt it.

Maybe some are just too close and for them it is personal.
If you don't have a personal connection, it's just player bashing.
I haven't heard anyone is camping outside their homes with signs and petitions.

We hear all the time about players who don't do social media.
Maybe some do for the adulation?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Maybe it has been resolved. If he won't waive there are really only two options - sign him, or let him play out the season and walk. Maybe the team has decided which.
Marner is going/hoping to do what Nylander did and force the Leafs to pay him. I just hope the dummies at MLSEL learned their lesson from Willie and wait until they see how Marner and the team perform in the playoffs before deciding if and how much to offer. Will be interesting to see how Marner performs in the playoffs with his next contract on the line.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
So did you not read the post, or are you just not willing to acknowledge it?

And again you post a hyperbolic blanket statement with absolutely no justification.
Mostly the same shtick from this crowd. Cant debate in good faith as they have no ground to actually stand on. Data, eye-test and common sense prove that Tre has had a better handle than Dubas on this team - and hes been mostly cuffed from making meaningful change.

All they have is passive aggressive insults and lame retorts. Oh, and going back to his time in CGY.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When the new contract for Nylander kicks in it will be for a lower cap percentage than either Marner's or Tavares' when their's did.

At the time of signing for 13.84% of the cap, Tavares' best season was 38G, 86pts.

At the time of signing for 13.37% of the cap, Marner's best season was 26G, 94pts.

At the time of signing for 13.11% of the cap, Nylander's best season was 40G, 87pts.

If Tre gave Nylander an "exaggerated contract", what did Dubas give them?

I agree than Nylander is overpaid, but certainly not as badly, and Tre's not the one who set the 'overpayment' scale.

Does the defensive side of the puck exist?

I think most people agree Marner is overpaid, but he is better offensively and defensively than Nylander.

Marner also led the team in points the year he was signed... I am beginning to think that Marner was underpaid compared to Nylander's current contract.

They probably used Huberdeau's contract as one of their comparables, let's not pretend Tre is some amazing negotiator.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner is going/hoping to do what Nylander did and force the Leafs to pay him. I just hope the dummies at MLSEL learned their lesson from Willie and wait until they see how Marner and the team perform in the playoffs before deciding if and how much to offer. Will be interesting to see how Marner performs in the playoffs with his next contract on the line.

Perhaps there will be less pressure?

They know they have Matthews and Nylander locked up. Nylander scores more, regular season and playoffs, the stats back this up. Scores refers to scoring goals.

Not saying they want to sign marner, and I would not be surprised if it is announced before the season starts, unless it is marner refusing to sign a deal.

Is there really any debate? More than Nylander and less than Matthews, or he walks.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

There is, but Marner does a lot away from the puck too.

That is a lot of holes to fill if he walks... I think there is some pressure.

They know they have Matthews and Nylander locked up. Nylander scores more, regular season and playoffs.

False.

Not saying they want to sign marner, and I would not be surprised if it is announced before the season starts, unless it is marner refusing to sign a deal.

Is there really any debate? More than Nylander and less than Matthews, or he walks.

The number is likely around 12.5, I agree with the assessment of more than Nylander and less than Matthews.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
The number is likely around 12.5, I agree with the assessment of more than Nylander and less than Matthews.

Let’s say Marner signs for 8 x 12.5.

Do you think there’s some unearthed potential with this group? 37.5mil for Matthews, Marner and Nylander - can that be a successful model in the playoffs?

I think this is why there’s so much pushback from the fanbase. Many of us don’t see it working long term, as we’ve seen what those 3 (+JT @ around 40m total) can and can’t do in the playoffs. It feels like signing up for 8 more years of the same letdown.

A lot of us feel that 12.5 can be used to bolster the roster in other areas.

With Mitch potentially re-signing, do you think there’s room for this core to improve and challenge for a cup?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Do you think there’s some unearthed potential with this group? 37.5mil for Matthews, Marner and Nylander - can that be a successful model in the playoffs?

I think this is why there’s so much pushback from the fanbase. Many of us don’t see it working long term, as we’ve seen what those 3 (+JT @ around 40m total) can and can’t do in the playoffs. It feels like signing up for 8 more years of the same letdown.

With Mitch potentially re-signing, do you think there’s room for this core to improve and challenge for a cup?

Yes.

Other teams have kept their core and won.

I think hockey is a very random game and a bounce here or there can decide a game or series.

Barkov and Tkachuk were considered playoff no shows until recently and they had worse stats than our core.

Bobrovsky was the backup going into the playoffs the year before.

Past results to not always reflect future results.

Ovechkin was a loser and would never win until he did.

Since MacKinnon was drafted in Colorado their playoff record would make you think that he could never win a cup.

There lots of examples of this sort of thing.

I don't think them winning is ever likely, but I think that is the case for every team.

Whoever is favored to win next year likely won't.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yes.

Other teams have kept their core and won.

I think hockey is a very random game and a bounce here or there can decide a game or series.

Barkov and Tkachuk were considered playoff no shows until recently and they had worse stats than our core.

Bobrovsky was the backup going into the playoffs the year before.

Past results to not always reflect future results.

Ovechkin was a loser and would never win until he did.

Since MacKinnon was drafted in Colorado their playoff record would make you think that he could never win a cup.

There lots of examples of this sort of thing.

I don't think them winning is ever likely, but I think that is the case for every team.

Whoever is favored to win next year likely won't.
What other team has a cap allocation like our core 4 and kept their core to gather and won. I will give you a hint
None

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They know they have Matthews and Nylander locked up. Nylander scores more, regular season and playoffs, the stats back this up. Scores refers to scoring goals.

Friedman was on Fan590 this morning and said Ferris' position is, make me an offer I can't refuse or I test free agency. Tre's position should be, go right ahead and see what's out there. Maybe CBJ will be desperate enough to pay him.

Friedman asked, do you want to be a Leaf or rich? Ferris will say why not both? The Nylander deal plus $1 is the ceiling for me if the dummies are afraid to let him walk for nothing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Really, is going to depend on how much Tavares gets.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

You're special.

Sign him without a NMC and then trade his whiny little ass as soon as the new contract kicks in.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think overall the off season was under whelming. There is a factor we don’t know and it’s Marner. Did he want to trade Marner? Did he have an offer but Marner said no? Was there no good offer? A lot of this off season is dictated by the Marner situation and how it really played out. We may one day find out the truth on how it played out and how it affected tre’s decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad