Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Barrie cost them a player that on the vast majority of teams would have been a top 6 center.

Klingberg cost them money.

That would be Barrie
A trade and a signing aren't even comparable moves to begin with, that's the hilarious thing. James couldn't even figure that part out.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Barrie cost them a player that on the vast majority of teams would have been a top 6 center.
Klingberg cost them money.
I'm talking about the player, not cost. Klingberg was the same kind of idea but significantly worse, and for the record, cost them cap space, better options, deadline assets, and games. But your overvaluing of a middle six poor defensive center with trade protections and a long history of discipline issues and critical suspensions, your undervaluing of Barrie and what he brought, and your exclusion of other parts of that deal, really have nothing to do with this.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm talking about the player, not cost. Klingberg was the same kind of idea but significantly worse, and for the record, cost them cap space, better options, deadline assets, and games. But your overvaluing of a middle six poor defensive center with trade protections and a long history of discipline issues and critical suspensions, your undervaluing of Barrie and what he brought, and your exclusion of other parts of that deal, really have nothing to do with this.

I didn't bring up Kerfoot because we are talking about Barrie VS Klingberg Kerfoot has nothing to do with Barrie VS Klingberg.

If you want to bring Kerfoot into this that makes the deal even worse.

Or do you mean the swap of 3rd and 6th round picks?

Because again that makes the deal even worse.

There is NO part of that deal that is good.

No it's not actually "real", just having a bit of fun and being satirical.

Dude you had me there because it wouldn't surprise me if it were true James is a different dude

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Every day that goes by without seeing we have signed guys like Pacioretty or Zadina is good. These guys are just going to eat ice time during camp or take it away from legit prospects and guys like Knies and McMann who are poised to be solid NHL players. We have some depth guys in the AHL to call up. These guys need to get the ice time. Holmberg as well, run with these guys for the regular season. Let Cowan and Minten cook at lower levels this year.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Back to the topic at hand:

I think Tre has had a decent offseason overall. The looming JT+Marner contracts have hampered his ability to make much meaningful change to the roster. Approx 25% of our cap is tied up in these 2 players, combined with NMC’s as well as the FA crop of this offseason, I think Tre did well overall.

Berube was a great hire and exactly what this group needs.

I’ve gone ahead and listed the assets bled out by previous management on players that did not return:
- 1 x 1st + 2 x 4th (foligno and Nosesn)
- 1 x 3rd (Rittich)
- 1 x 5th (Hutton)
- 1 x 2nd (Lub)
- 1 x 1st (Mrazek - got 1 x 2nd back)
- 1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th (ROR+Acciari)
- 1 x 3rd (Schenn)

Tre ended up trading back for Lub, using a 6th to bring him in last deadline, as our D was paper thin.

Overall, way too many assets out for the same thing year over year. Imagine having an additional: 3 x 1sts, 1 x 2nd, 3 x 3rds, 3 x 4ths, 1 x 5th - Tre could actually mold something with this. Maybe we could have traded for Hanifin (and retained him) last TDL, or package one of those 1st with Lilj to move him for a veteran top 4 to bolster the D.

I respect doubling down on the team to bring in bodies at the TDL. It makes sense. But if you are moving quality assets like 3 x 1sts, there has to be a long term addition there. The 3rds, 4ths, 5ths - totally fine, move those for rental, bottom pairing D/3rd or 4th line centres. If you’re moving 1sts, there has to be some player retention (McCabe).

Tre has brought in 5 new bodies (7 including LTIR Klingberg and UFA Bertuzzi) since he’s arrived: Reavo, Domi, OEL, Tanev and Stolarz. I’m looking forward to him having some extra cap space when some of the high priced luxuries (overpaid 2C, overpaid winger) contracts expire after this season.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Cup-winning #2C

This.

Not to mention we never needed to overpay for JT. That on itself could probably shave few $M of the other 3 contracts.

Defensively poor :DD, we are calling Marner elite defensively because of his prolonged possessions ,plus elite PK because he scores every now and then. Not because he is at the bottom of the league in goals allowed on PK/60.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I have to agree, I was hopeful, but he’s just another puppet turd, and all the polishing in the world won’t change that fact………

Did you think we'll get to renegotiate contracts signed by fake glasses and get picks back with Tre coming in?

Kyle f*cked us so bad even he could see it through his fake glasses. So the only sensible thing was to run. As delusional as he was, he had one move, trade future for useless rentals . Can't get those rentals with no picks left.

Treviling is a terrible GM. I can’t believe he’s running the Leafs.

The jury is still out, but it's hard to imagine someone less competent than Kyle Dubas

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Did you think we'll get to renegotiate contracts signed by fake glasses and get picks back with Tre coming in?

Kyle f*cked us so bad even he could see it through his fake glasses. So the only sensible thing was to run. As delusional as he was, he had one move, trade future for useless rentals . Can't get those rentals with no picks left.

The jury is still out, but it's hard to imagine someone less competent than Kyle Dubas
Tre signed Styles to a exaggerated contract so I see no difference between his behaviour and Boy Wonders……

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
The term is idiotic, but the annual salary is actually pretty benign relative to the cap.

You can't talk about one without the other. That's why Matthews said he wanted more than McDavid for 8 years after ELC, even though everyone pretends he didn't say it.

Reactions: rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tre signed Styles to a exaggerated contract so I see no difference between his behaviour and Boy Wonders……
When the new contract for Nylander kicks in it will be for a lower cap percentage than either Marner's or Tavares' when their's did.

At the time of signing for 13.84% of the cap, Tavares' best season was 38G, 86pts.

At the time of signing for 13.37% of the cap, Marner's best season was 26G, 94pts.

At the time of signing for 13.11% of the cap, Nylander's best season was 40G, 87pts.

If Tre gave Nylander an "exaggerated contract", what did Dubas give them?

I agree than Nylander is overpaid, but certainly not as badly, and Tre's not the one who set the 'overpayment' scale.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When the new contract for Nylander kicks in it will be for a lower cap percentage than either Marner's or Tavares' when their's did.

At the time of signing for 13.84% of the cap, Tavares' best season was 38G, 86pts.

At the time of signing for 13.37% of the cap, Marner's best season was 26G, 94pts.

At the time of signing for 13.11% of the cap, Nylander's best season was 40G, 87pts.

If Tre gave Nylander an "exaggerated contract", what did Dubas give them?

I agree than Nylander is overpaid, but certainly not as badly, and Tre's not the one who set the 'overpayment' scale.
Using bad contract comparable’s doesn’t erase the fact that Tre overpaid Nylander, just like Boy Wonder overpaid JT and Marner. In your rational above you sort of say well, Dubas overpaid players so it’s okay for Tre to do likewise. I think I read it’s up to 53% of the cap for the core four, getting more and more out of wack. Remember this come April when they fail again, therein lies the problem………..

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011

Wow...you're either really young...or you have a VERY short memory. Dave Nonis and JFJ both say...hold my beer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafidelity

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Using bad contract comparable’s doesn’t erase the fact that Tre overpaid Nylander, just like Boy Wonder overpaid JT and Marner. In your rational above you sort of say well, Dubas overpaid players so it’s okay for Tre to do likewise. I think I read it’s up to 53% of the cap for the core four, getting more and more out of wack. Remember this come April when they fail again, therein lies the problem………..
I stated very specifically that Tre overpaid Nylander. I absolutely did not say it was ok, just that it wasn't as bad as the other two.

Yes, as I've said many times, it is very bad now, and will likely result in another early exit. However, Tre has signed the two better players, and can't do anything about the other two until after this season.

Reactions: Bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad