Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There was some math that preceded this comment on an earlier post.

We take the Tavares money, pay the Woll, Knies, and McCabe raises and then remove Kampf and Jarnkrok. This is what leaves around $9M.

You have to fill those two bottom six roles from within on low dollars...Dewar, Hirvonen, Minten, Tverberg, Steeves, etc
Which assumes that 2 of those guys are better than Kampf and Jarnkrok and you are able to get a quality #2C for around $6.5.

I suppose it possible, but it's not a slam dunk IMO

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McCabe is actually $4m now with half retained by CHI, bringing the hit down to $2m for us. He isn’t getting resigned for under $5m, in my opinion, and it could be closer to $6m.

Knies is the wild card. If he takes a big step forward this year, the team could easily opt to extend him long term at a higher aav.

Tavares $$ is spoken for. New spend will come from a cap increase and moving out other players for guys on elc like Cowan.

Yes, it is easy to look at Capwages.com and think McCabe is a $2mm a year player.

He isn't taking a reduction for his last big deal at age 31 (playing age will be 32) from $4mm.

He'll get a raise, who knows maybe he'll want to play in his home country his last big deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don’t get how the flip flopping isn’t a bigger talking point.

Kyle Dubas on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ team identity: “I would say it is still in formation… We are aiming towards is a team built on speed, talent, and creativity but also tenaciousness when we don’t have the puck”

Biggest acquisitions are: Tavares, Muzzin, Foligno, O’Rielly, McCabe, Brodie. Where is the speed talent and creativity in that list? We got slower every single year trying to bring in defensively minded veteran gritgrinders. Barrie was the closest thing to speed and skill he got and the coach didn’t let him do the only thing he’s elite at in skating with the puck.

We were advertised a high intensity speed game and ended up with a team built to appease talking heads on Sportsnet saying they needed veteran grinders that know how to win. I don’t mind the physical grinding game but if you’re going to do it you need to commit to it instead of having a foot on two trains moving in opposite directions and half assing both approaches. We ended up playing a slow east west possession game that didn’t leverage our speed when we had it and neutered the gritty players we got when we lost the speed.
I can see why it's not much of a talking point now, as the disasterous Dubas has departed.

Some posters can't or won't admit that it was that bad, and the rest of us would probably prefer to forget it.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
So you are assuming that whoever takes them will not want to send players or a bad contract (I'm thinking Kampf specifically) back?
Yeah, Kampf is a good player, just slightly overpaid. As the cap goes up the latter becomes less true.

I think we could move them both right now without retention. The return would not be overwhelming and I think the organization believes we need both guys. We probably do.

It would be great to see him sign for that, but I think he'll be looking at $4 million as a bare minimum, especially with how much they just gave Liljegren.
These are the incremental numbers on top of what we are currently paying them as that is how this math works. If we get $11M new dollars to spend that amount will cover the increase. So, yes I also have McCabe at $4M (which is $2M more than we are currently paying him).

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, it is easy to look at Capwages.com and think McCabe is a $2mm a year player.

He isn't taking a reduction for his last big deal at age 31 (playing age will be 32) from $4mm.

He'll get a raise, who knows maybe he'll want to play in his home country his last big deal?
Thanks for the capwages heads up. I hadn’t heard of it.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Which assumes that 2 of those guys are better than Kampf and Jarnkrok and you are able to get a quality #2C for around $6.5.

I suppose it possible, but it's not a slam dunk IMO
I would absolutely hope that Minten and Holmberg could replace Kampf and Jarnkrok in a year or so.

I also really hope that we already have our 2C and that it is Nylander. It would be easier to spend that $6.5M on wingers or 3C.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

At least he admits his biggest mistake in his book on winning!!!!!

I agree that his bad negotiations with Willy, Mitch, and Matty were a big problem, but I'm a little surprised that he still thinks signing a slow 2C that we didn't need to an $11x7 contract was a good idea.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would absolutely hope that Minten and Holmberg could replace Kampf and Jarnkrok in a year or so.

I also really hope that we already have our 2C and that it is Nylander. It would be easier to spend that $6.5M on wingers or 3C.

New coach.

I expect changes.

Just blue-skying ... Nylander has a Yzerman transition ... with better supporting wingers maybe they make a go of it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t get how the flip flopping isn’t a bigger talking point.

Kyle Dubas on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ team identity: “I would say it is still in formation… We are aiming towards is a team built on speed, talent, and creativity but also tenaciousness when we don’t have the puck”

Biggest acquisitions are: Tavares, Muzzin, Foligno, O’Rielly, McCabe, Brodie. Where is the speed talent and creativity in that list? We got slower every single year trying to bring in defensively minded veteran gritgrinders. Barrie was the closest thing to speed and skill he got and the coach didn’t let him do the only thing he’s elite at in skating with the puck.

We were advertised a high intensity speed game and ended up with a team built to appease talking heads on Sportsnet saying they needed veteran grinders that know how to win. I don’t mind the physical grinding game but if you’re going to do it you need to commit to it instead of having a foot on two trains moving in opposite directions and half assing both approaches. We ended up playing a slow east west possession game that didn’t leverage our speed when we had it and neutered the gritty players we got when we lost the speed.
They marketed speed when they had Hyman, Johnsson, Mikehev, etc., but when that went away they couldn’t replace it due to poor cap management and the realization that it doesn’t work in the playoffs.

No one would have guessed that core wouldn’t be willing to play playoff style hockey. I suspect they were told by Dubas and Shanny that they were going to change the NHL and they bought it.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
New coach.

I expect changes.

Just blue-skying ... Nylander has a Yzerman transition ... with better supporting wingers maybe they make a go of it.
Yeah, it a possible abe something Tre wanted last year. Keefe only gave it two weeks at training camp. It really solves a lot of problems for us if he can 2C.

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Jarnkrok
Robertson Tavares McMann

This doesn't even account for Cowan or Grebenkin cracking the top 9

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
New coach.

I expect changes.

:laugh: I guess stranger things have happened

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm moreso hoping for a Hossa Evolution rather than an Yzerman transition. There are a lot more similarities there- and optimistically we've seen about half of it so far. Willy has come a long way

Don't sell Hossa short. In order for Nylander to become a "Hossa", he is going to have to get significantly better offensively, and then also become one of the elite defensive wingers.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I certainly watched the game, but I don't recall Nylander being the only reason we lost.

Those other guys played 3C. If you're overpaying JT that much, he's going to be the 2C. Would you play your second best scorer and second or third best overall on the third line, when you could have him on the second line supporting JT?

But as you say, "Who the f*** knows about Keefe".
I will admit I was wrong about Nylander if he plays C full time under Berube.

If this doesn't happen we can finally put this to rest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Odds makers have the Leafs 8th in Stanley Cup odds.

1720812872897.png

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad